Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,349,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
ask elizabeth warren
Lol

Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 PM

20 posts, read 8,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Asian settlers would be correct. The Native Americans were not native, they are from Asia. Native Americans were foreign settlers, just like the Europeans were. And of course, we are all ultimately Black. Nonetheless, this is all in the past. Today, in this world, I am a Native American, having been born in America on Manhattan Island. I accept no one else as having a superior claim to my own, of being a Native American.
This is true.

So when "Native Americans" have disputes in this country, is it only because they were here first?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,147,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, Indigenous Tribal Groups would be the most accurate.
It's fine how it is. I look at it this way. If Native Americans want to be called something else it's solely up to them...

Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,147,841 times
Quote:
Asian settlers would be correct. The Native Americans were not native, they are from Asia. Native Americans were foreign settlers, just like the Europeans were. And of course, we are all ultimately Black. Nonetheless, this is all in the past. Today, in this world, I am a Native American, having been born in America on Manhattan Island. I accept no one else as having a superior claim to my own, of being a Native American.
With this reasoning Marc you're not an American either. You are a Caucasoid settler from a foreign land...

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 PM

638 posts, read 311,540 times
The term "Native American" is BS. They weren't always here. They walked across an ice bridge from Asia, and got here first, MAYBE. That's all. So while they may have staked a claim to the land first, they're not actually "native".

But for all we know other early explorers landed here first, and left. No one really knows.

The bottom line is this. If someone feels we owe those that were here before us something, I suggest they traipse on down to the local reservation and sign over all their real estate. Until they do that, they're just whining. So far I have yet to see a liberal do this. Even the rich ones don't leave a dime to the "native Americans" when they die. So much BS needs to be called.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,073,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
With this reasoning Marc you're not an American either. You are a Caucasoid settler from a foreign land...
Yes, quite true. I'm ultimately Black and hail from Africa. We all do. That's where it all began.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:26 PM

649 posts, read 317,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Actually they were not native to the continent. They crossed the land bridge from Asia.
Maybe & maybe only some , that's not as totally universally accepted as it once was . What gets me is that the Indian part never got dropped after it was discovered that this wasn't India .

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM

649 posts, read 317,512 times
Quote:
I'm also not convinced that the human race all originated in Africa .

Old 12-21-2016, 08:30 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,706,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They were native to the continent so what difference does it make who named the continent or what they named it?
Apparently it makes all the difference when talking about names and words use to name things.

Calling a pig a cow won't actually make it a cow.

First Nations is originally a Canadian term. Intelligent tribal members realized the problem with calling themselves Native Americans when they were residents in Canada.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,378,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Actually they were not native to the continent. They crossed the land bridge from Asia.
Precisely, everyone knows we all come from Africa!

That's the only continent with natives, every other place was migrated to from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies