Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

He was transformational, ushering in this country's great Western expansion. Collateral damage. Terrible, but unavoidable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK, now I'll bite even though this has become off topic. The Trail Of Tears was without a doubt one of the most horrific things done to Natives in mass IMO and could have been avoided costing the lives of up to 6000 people. But let's put all that aside.
Regardless, it's the fact that Jackson thought himself above the law and anointed himself dictator in order to do this speaks volume about this man.
He not only thought it was the best thing to do, but disregarded the Supreme Court and did it anyway. He obviously didn't have any respect for our 3 branches of government and did what he wanted to like any good dictator would have done.
Imagine today if the Supreme Court ruled something unconstitutional that a President and or Congress wanted to do and the current President took the army and did it anyway by force.
That's what sets Andrew Jackson apart. Not the fact that he expanded westward or in any other direction. Yes, men were the products of their times, but he basically tore up the Constitution in order to do what he wanted to. He made one of the branches of government irrelevant to suite his needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:54 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Who would you rather control it? You? The rabble?

I love the market, but let us understand, capitalism exists because it was useful to the state. Which is why the state created things like limited-liability corporations, and protects and promotes the interests of big-business against foreign competition.

Capitalism is a tool for greater state power. Which is why everywhere capitalism has ever existed, it has been a form of corporatism.

The Federal Reserve is just one more tool for providing American corporations a "competitive-advantage", and to provide "economic growth", through the various mechanisms of finance(mainly, the machinations of fictitious capital, and the corresponding top-down system it produces).

Capitalism does not exist to do good(unless good means the power and preservation of the state). If it does any good whatsoever, that is simply a happy-coincidence.
So you think a handful of politically motivated "experts" can gauge/predict the actions of 320 million consumers in the marketplace?
Your naïveté is cute.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you think a handful of politically motivated "experts" can gauge/predict the actions of 320 million consumers in the marketplace?
Your naïveté is cute.
I never said I liked it. But it reminds me of his Winston Churchill's quote, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried."

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...chu164161.html

The world is the way it is for a reason. We didn't magically wake up one morning the world's only superpower, merely by luck.

Governments are in a Darwinian struggle with one-another. If a better system comes around, that system will dominate all the rest.

America dominates the world, because we have the best system for world domination. And that is all that matters in this world.

And it is why every other government is adopting more-or-less the same system.

Government does not exist to do good. A government which existed only to do good, would die. Just as any corporation which existed only to do good, would die.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:

Government does not exist to do good. A government which existed only to do good, would die. Just as any corporation which existed only to do good, would die.
Of course there are gov'ts that try to do to only do good. But they are not perfect and there may be times where what is best for that gov'ts people is not the best for some other entity in the world. Off hand I can't think of anything negative enough to mention that my local city gov't has done over the years.

Business the same. But as business is so much less complicated than gov't, some can just about only do good. Like my medical practice/office. Anything we do that is or turns out bad, is either bad luck or judgement on mine or my staffs part. Something that does not happen often. But we exist as a business only to do good. My builder, plumber, barber, shuttle ride driver and landscaper the same. IMO and long experience with these people/businesses.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course there are gov'ts that try to do to only do good. But they are not perfect and there may be times where what is best for that gov'ts people is not the best for some other entity in the world. Off hand I can't think of anything negative enough to mention that my local city gov't has done over the years.

Business the same. But as business is so much less complicated than gov't, some can just about only do good. Like my medical practice/office. Anything we do that is or turns out bad, is either bad luck or judgement on mine or my staffs part. Something that does not happen often. But we exist as a business only to do good. My builder, plumber, barber, shuttle ride driver and landscaper the same. IMO and long experience with these people/businesses.

I don't mean that governments do evil, but merely that they don't exist to do good.

Governments are indifferent to good or evil. A government is neither moral or immoral. All governments are amoral.

The goals of all governments, are the same as any other corporation, self-preservation, grandeur, and ultimately, power. Because power is necessary for self-preservation. A corporation that doesn't have the power to influence government, is doomed.

Likewise, a government which doesn't have the power to protect itself, and ultimately to influence other governments, is doomed.

Sometimes power can be achieved by doing good, and other times it can only be achieved by doing evil. And thus, a government will at times do good, and at other times it will do evil. Just as does every other corporation, when it serves their interests.

If you but open your eyes, it is plain to see.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I don't mean that governments do evil, but merely that they don't exist to do good.

Governments are indifferent to good or evil. A government is neither moral or immoral. All governments are amoral.

The goals of all governments, are the same as any other corporation, self-preservation, grandeur, and ultimately, power. Because power is necessary for self-preservation. A corporation that doesn't have the power to influence government, is doomed.

Likewise, a government which doesn't have the power to protect itself, and ultimately to influence other governments, is doomed.

Sometimes power can be achieved by doing good, and other times it can only be achieved by doing evil. And thus, a government will at times do good, and at other times it will do evil. Just as does every other corporation, when it serves their interests.

If you but open your eyes, it is plain to see.
IMO yours is too broad a conclusion. Like I said my local gov't just does good. Maybe someone can find the bad in there, i cannot see it. A gov't for and of the people does the bidding of the people.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm Part Cherokee.... and that does not change the fact, the Federal Reserve, proved him to be right.
Nice to see a NA that can see the separation here.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO yours is too broad a conclusion. Like I said my local gov't just does good. Maybe someone can find the bad in there, i cannot see it. A gov't for and of the people does the bidding of the people.

Do you honestly believe your local government does only good? And what is good anyway?

I'm not saying that they are tyrants by any means. But the purpose of all law, as it pertains to local governments, is in promoting "economic growth", usually by trying to increase property values(through various ordinances), and to attract big-business.

Money. And what is money?

Can you not see?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Nice to see a NA that can see the separation here.
I would respect him more, but he moved to Austin, Texas. That ain't "Cherokee Nation".

Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe your local government does only good? And what is good anyway?

I'm not saying that they are tyrants by any means. But the purpose of all law, as it pertains to local governments, is in promoting "economic growth", usually by trying to increase property values(through various ordinances), and to attract big-business.

Money. And what is money?

Can you not see?
They run our city for its people. A necessary service. Police and fire protection other necessary services. Help support and run our schools. Senior services. Transportation. Yes help promote, sustain and secure our economy. I can think of no wrongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies