Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times

Advertisements

Once the oil shale becomes accessable, we won't have much in the way of problems.

At current rates of consumption, one of the oil shale deposits in colorado/wyoming/utah (there's a third state, i'm thinking it's utah, but i'm not 100% sure), but it has enough fuel for the united states for 100 years, not counting other oil shale deposits in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
I did a short wikipedia read (still doing research) but it looks like this stuff is mostly for like industrial use not to power vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Once the oil shale becomes accessable, we won't have much in the way of problems.

At current rates of consumption, one of the oil shale deposits in colorado/wyoming/utah (there's a third state, i'm thinking it's utah, but i'm not 100% sure), but it has enough fuel for the united states for 100 years, not counting other oil shale deposits in the US.
*edit* I stand corrected, it can be used in cars and America has enough that it would last for 400 yrs at present day consumption. problem is it cost a LOT to produce

*re edit*

seems the pollution from this stuff is significant to the point of being worse than regular petrol

Last edited by Wild Style; 02-29-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's your problem! Live closer to work.
Don't want to. We wanted to live in a rural area - We built our special home right where we wanted it.

I don't mind the drive either -

Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Your expenses will go up $50/week by later this year just from driving, assuming 20 miles to a gallon. If that's worth it to you, then great. While people can esotericaly say that visitng family is pricesless, everyone reaches a point at which they will be forced to curtail unnecessary travel. That's the cost of cheap money and inflation, and there will be those who benefit and those who suffer.

That's only including gas and not other expenses associated with the price increase.
Actually, we get 25/26 with our SUV's -

And, we will not curtail our traveling / driving. No reason too. It's much too enjoyable for us.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Not everyone lives in the country. For lots of us, shows, people, restaurants and so on are within walking, biking and public transportation distance. Just because you don't use a car to drive a mile to the grocery store doesn't mean you don't have one or use it for longer trips...
The person I was specifically responding too indicated that he does not own a car not, does he go anywhere.

BTW - round trip to our nearest grocery store is about 28 miles. We do some planning ahead though - We don't "run to the corner market" for any milk!!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
By the way, the whole thing about buying a new vehicle? You can get a credit for using alternative fuels/purchasing a car that uses alternative fuels. Comes off your tax penalty, if I recall correctly. And if you aren't giving the government too much money to start with, you will have a tax liability. I owe a few hundred, but I'd rather keep my money for week to week spending rather than give the government a tax free loan of MY money.
Did you know that, with certain conditions being met, you can buy some vehicles and get a tax credit that will come close to paying for the vehicle?

This is how we got the SUV's - they essentially costs us nothing.

Thanks President Clinton.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Default Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
They probably make about 5-6 cents per gallon profit . Would you feel better if they made 1 cent per gallon? Perhaps you should be more concerned with the taxes that are applied to each gallon of gas sold.
...and not even a single ounce of real work was put in by their part. This is where the cliche "highway robbery" ever rings so true.

Un-Freakin'-Believable.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, we get 25/26 with our SUV's -

And, we will not curtail our traveling / driving. No reason too. It's much too enjoyable for us.
I thought you did some advance planning? Enjoyable driving? That's an oxymoron for me, I hate to drive. But go for it. You'll help us run out of gas that much faster so that we (or our grand/great grand kids) will move on to the next energy product (electric, nuclear, solar, equine) that much faster!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I thought you did some advance planning? Enjoyable driving? That's an oxymoron for me, I hate to drive. But go for it. You'll help us run out of gas that much faster so that we (or our grand/great grand kids) will move on to the next energy product (electric, nuclear, solar, equine) that much faster!
Oh yes - driving is fun. We can explore so many different regions - stop when we like. There are times we bring the trailer and stay in campgrounds. Other times, we bring the boat so that we can enjoy the myriad of lakes -

Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh yes - driving is fun. We can explore so many different regions - stop when we like. There are times we bring the trailer and stay in campgrounds. Other times, we bring the boat so that we can enjoy the myriad of lakes -
Great. I don't enjoy driving to that extent. I would much rather stay close to home, visit with local friends, exercise, read, etc. I guess what I save in gas I spend in wine?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies