Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,334,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
They probably make about 5-6 cents per gallon profit . Would you feel better if they made 1 cent per gallon? Perhaps you should be more concerned with the taxes that are applied to each gallon of gas sold.
Which, with all the new toll road frenzy, are sure to be gotten rid of now, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,591,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why is it that gas is nearing $4 per gallon and nobody seems to care. People are still driving their Hummers 30 miles one way to work, and continue to pay with an apathetic attitude that there is nothing that can be done. Nobody wants to hold the Bush crime family accountable for their mass robbery of the American people to benefit themselves and their oil buddies. If you don't believe Bush is responsible, just research oil future trading and how one of the first things Bush did when he took office was deregulate it allowing for the price run-up we've seen.

When Clinton left office, gas was $1.20, today its $4 and could possibly be $5 this summer. I strongly do not believe supply and demand is the real issue, I think its an artificially inflated price to benefit the oil companies and the Bush family, but lets say the oil is running out and these prices are justified, why isn't there more of an initiative to implement an alternative energy, of which there are several choices? I am sick of paying $80 to fill up my tank when not long ago it only costed $20, but I don't see anybody else getting upset about it.
People can care all day and night, if they want to. But they'll have absolutely no influence on the price of fuel. Most folks need to drive to get to their jobs. They can't stop purchasing gasoline. Many areas are poorly served or totally unserved by public transportation. They have no alternative. Buying gas isn't like purchasing any other product. If the price of coffee gets too high, you can do without or you can switch to tea if it gets to be a problem. If the price of gas gets too high, you can't switch to anything else. And if you have to work for a living, like most of us do, then you're stuck. The oil companies have known this for decades. And when an oil-friendly administration is in office (as has been the case for the past 7 years) they clean up.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif View Post
I care! Gas is already $3.89 here. I barely drive because of this but my husband commutes one hour one way. Our SUV sits in the driveway because we refuse to drive it with prices the way they are. It is seriously wearing us down financially! What can we do? Which candidate do you suppose will figure a way to lower the gas prices?
Maybe the question to ask is, when will Americans stop driving gas guzzling SUVs? When will we have more options of cars that get over 35 mpg?

If I had and SUV or gas guzzler, I'd be trying to get rid of it ASAP because they're going to be impossible to unload with gas prices continuing to rise. My parents drove small cars when we were kids and we lived through it! I don't understand by people think that just because they have a baby, they suddenly need a 4WD vehicle than can clear boulders and pull a tank up a mountain to haul around a 12 pound baby in a car seat.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
That is terrible news for both the international oil companies and the eco freaks. Imagine what increasing our domestic supply will do to international oil prices and profits. Imagine the fussing the crybabies will do when their pet 'alternative' energy projects remain too unreliable or expensive. Just think about the anxiety in the corn to alcohol industry as the plants are abandoned, the investment lost and the farmers have to actually conserve soil instead of planting corn from fence to fence.

If this oil reserve were developed, and I doubt it will be, I would hope it provides us with the time to actually convert our economy to a less energy intensive alternative while switching our electric production to nuclear fission. In the meantime we can spend our wealth burning the other’s oil first.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
They need the monster SUV to feel "safe" in an environment designed to keep them terrified. Not to mention in prepetual debt.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Wasn't one of the reasons for invading Iraq to stabilize gas prices?
No, it was not.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If we all drove more gas efficient cars, walked, biked and rode public transportation more,
A) Define "more efficient" - put a minimum gas mileage that you would consider being "efficient".

B) Not everyone has access to public transportation.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
They need the monster SUV to feel "safe" in an environment designed to keep them terrified.
The Rav4 is a "monster SUV" Greg???

Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,967,056 times
Quote:
They need the monster SUV to feel "safe" in an environment designed to keep them terrified. Not to mention in prepetual debt.
Ever think a lot of people need them for work?

So you think SUV's are evil....don't own one. If people, like myself have one and don't mind the poor gas mileage so be it. I've got two sports cars that don't get the MPG my Sequoia does.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
Quote:
Thats not why I drive an SUV,

Feeling safe? Nope.. I drive one because its larger and I have space for storage. Cant exactly fit things in a truck of a car.

Prepetual debt? Nope.. its paid for.

In addition, SUV's dont use up that much more gas or cost more then some cars on the road. My caddilac uses more fuel then our SUV so perhapse you can understand the real thought process behind why people drive SUV's and stop repeating some garbage the environmental wacko's put out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies