Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

No USA Carriers at Sea

It's a metaphor for the failed, disgraced and lampooned Obama presidency at the end of 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
My post on the first page explains my position a bit more.

I don't disagree at all with the Pearl Harbor summary and we were indeed lucky on that one.
While I largely agree with your position of the second paragraph of your earlier post (#7, on the first page).

The first paragraph leaves me wondering how, without any "forward" bases we could find safe harbor for damaged ships, or resupply them in the event of a crisis?

That naval base also needs air cover (air force) and ground protection (army and or marines) nearby for support as well. A port of call contract in such a time of crisis could leave us without a place to dock for repairs, and resupply when the host country decides it is not in their best interest to allow us access. If we come in anyway, we face the possibility of internment for the duration under international neutrality laws, assuming the vessel is too damaged to put back to sea safely, no?

This was a problem for the powers that lost wars in the 20th century. Battle of River Plate as an example comes to mind. Certainly time has progressed, and it's hard to envision a situation like this in modern warfare. But then "modern warfare" always seems to take on a personality that nobody ever expected.

The best military needs to be prepared for any contingency(s) that may arise. Lack of forward bases severely limits those efforts.

That being said, I'm quite certain there is a lot of waste that could, and should be trimmed from the military budget.

When it comes to protecting the "folks at home", too much is better than not enough, and having it and not needing it, is better than the opposite.(IMHO, of course)

CN

Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Two carriers are still in the ME. The 5th fleet didn't leave.

US, UK and French Combine Forces in US Task Force 50 > U.S. Naval Forces Central Command > Display

Old 12-31-2016, 05:17 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No USA Carriers at Sea

It's a metaphor for the failed, disgraced and lampooned Obama presidency at the end of 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

More like a metaphor for the FAUX News FOX watchers lap up like kittens at a bowl of cream.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But isn't it the DoD that makes threat assessments their budget requests are based on?
Yes and no. The military operates under the use it or lose it reality. If they don't use up not only their material budget but also their operating budget, next years will be neutral or decreased. This is especially true at the base and under level. As a 'whole', it operates as many believe. However the smaller units are often left scrimping every year so they overstate based off expected use for the next year.

The DoD brass try to allocate based off the ombudsman projections but it's a disparate cobbling of budgets, and balancing. Plus the military units don't dictate policy so operationally they often operate at a loss.

Real life example? Sure. Back when I first got in (92), my guard unit got the newest c130s in the fleet. What does that mean? We flew TONS of missions the regular Air Force couldn't. That means we weren't under 'presidential' orders. So that money wasn't budget (my commander wanted to make general). Skip forward a few years and the new commander started saying no so people could make rank, get paid, keep retention, etc... what happened? We lost 4 planes.

So while units are good at managing (many), brass isn't because they don't say no to civilian leadership as that who approves general and up promotions.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I think the rest of the Navy, can handle any 'at sea' issues. Only a couple of countries even bother to waste the billions on fleet carriers.

It was proven over 70 years ago that the premier naval weapon is an aircraft carrier. That is not even open to debate.......

Old 12-31-2016, 09:29 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Yes and no. The military operates under the use it or lose it reality. If they don't use up not only their material budget but also their operating budget, next years will be neutral or decreased. This is especially true at the base and under level. As a 'whole', it operates as many believe. However the smaller units are often left scrimping every year so they overstate based off expected use for the next year.
I've read that! There were a coupla books written by a Vietnam helicopter pilot who returned home, was busted trying to smuggle a bunch of cannabis into the country on a sailboat, and wound up doing time at a club Fed in FLA. He said he'd seen brand new jet engines being buried in the ground because they had to disappear or they'd lose the $$$ to buy more.

What a wonderful reality! Makes me wanna Email my Rep And Senators and insist we give the DoD MORE! MORE! MORE!

Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Yes, our Naval assets are indeed dwindled from former days. With what has been spent on the JSF 35 alone we could have done a LOT with the Navy. The Navy seems to get dumped on in favor of the Air Force a lot. A holdover from the Cold war when strategic bombers were still king. Our sub tech is still good, but aging, as are most of our surface vessels and the Navy is pretty much doing all their aviation work with the F 18. A good airframe, but much modified and reworked since its inception.

Our carriers are still number one. Nobody can touch them. We just don't have the operational groups we used to, and that we need. Covering things here at home means having projection globally. We can't just do coastal stuff. Things need to be rethink as far as our military goes.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mothball the damn things for all I care. The United States needs to project power right here at home.
What. Do you think welfare is power?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
It was proven over 70 years ago that the premier naval weapon is an aircraft carrier. That is not even open to debate.......
The world changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies