Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And how many cannabis users drop out and never get a degree?

I'm not sure I would want anyone who smokes weed daily engineering any product that I would use.
You are in big trouble. The people who design and program microprocessor have a very high percentage of pot users. May well be a majority. That is why neither Microsoft or Apple test for drugs. They knew they cannot function with the users.

How do I know...ran such organizations for 20 years. Still remember my wife and I patrolling a Christmas party for one of the early development teams to assure that the brownies been circulated among the young engineers and technicians did not get to any of the mature folk present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's interesting how researchers draw conclusions that fit their agenda. We were told for years that marijuana lowers the IQ of teenagers. What we were not told is that the study did not normalize for other factors such as alcohol and tobacco consumption. Why is that? because researchers probably found data that fit their agenda.
------------------
“There is much debate about the impact of adolescent cannabis use on intellectual and educational outcomes. We investigated associations between adolescent cannabis use and IQ and educational attainment in a sample of 2235 teenagers from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children… Those who had used cannabis ⩾50 times did not differ from never-users on either IQ or educational performance.

“These findings suggest that adolescent cannabis use is not associated with IQ or educational performance once adjustment is made for potential confounds, in particular adolescent cigarette use. Modest cannabis use in teenagers may have less cognitive impact than epidemiological surveys of older cohorts have previously suggested.”

Researchers Finally Confirm that Marijuana DOES NOT Lower IQ in Adolescents – Counter Current News
Research does not constitute evidence. There is a lot of research done various subjects, with conflicting results. The admitted knowledge is that cannabis impairs cognitive abilities for long periods of time, sometimes permanently. A single study will not challenge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are in big trouble. The people who design and program microprocessor have a very high percentage of pot users. May well be a majority. That is why neither Microsoft or Apple test for drugs. They knew they cannot function with the users.
They don't smoke their brains out, that's why. The majority of heavy users become low achievers, that's a fact.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
My spouse and I smoked pot often in our teens and early 20s years. We both graduated from college with high honors and attained post grad degrees.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to do drugs, but it is wrong to classify all drugs as bad. Some people can enjoy drugs, especially pot, occasionally and others get addicted.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-06-2017 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My spouse and I smoked pot often in our teens and early 20s years. We both graduated from college with high honors and attained post grad degrees.
Several friends of mine smoked heavily in their teens and twenties. 5 became schizophrenic and were institutionalized for some time. One quit his maths studies and became a pothead, and then a junkie, later died of OD. A guy I knew had an accident while high died in front of his girlfriend. Almost all are deficient in logical reasoning, or unable to properly understand a complex text, or a book. One became a successful IT professional but ends up at the hospital if he gets off his meds for too long (schizophrenia).

Some of them quit and are much better now.

Most of them admit pot is the reason all this negativity happened to them. It is insidious because it seems so harmless...but it hurts people one blunt at a time and some don't notice.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Several friends of mine smoked heavily in their teens and twenties. 5 became schizophrenic and were institutionalized for some time. One quit his maths studies and became a pothead, and then a junkie, later died of OD. A guy I knew had an accident while high died in front of his girlfriend. Almost all are deficient in logical reasoning, or unable to properly understand a complex text, or a book. One became a successful IT professional but ends up at the hospital if he gets off his meds for too long (schizophrenia).

Most of them admit pot is the reason all this negativity happened to them. It is insidious because it seems so harmless...but it hurts people one blunt at a time and some don't notice.
The problem of course is whether those who are destined to be schizophrenic chose Marijuana or Marijuana causes them to be schizophrenic.

I suspect I know a few hundred people who smoked pot regularly. Virtually all however were high techies. They generally smoked to relax and any stoned at work was very rare and would catch a lot of heat from the coworkers. If you ever work in a big development operation you will find they are not well regulated in the normal sense but have huge peer pressure to make it all work. You don't have to supervise more guide. These are virtually all people with IQs in the 1% and up range.

From that personal experience I am quite sure that bright people don't go stupid with pot use. Just does not happen. And some of these relationships lasted well over 20 years.

I experimented with pot a bit at about 30. Never became a regular user for a simple reason...all my opportunities were always in LA and I lived in OC...so I always had to drive home. I don't do that impaired.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:20 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:

I know many successful people who used drugs in the 70s and 80s. Some people are born with genetic predisposition to become addicts and others of us aren't. There are more of us who don't have problems than those that do. It is wrong to ban things some abuse or are harmed by or we should ban all harmful things including swimming pools and cars, in my opinion. Banning drugs creates huge crime and worse.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:

No offense, but I don't believe any of that. Sounds like something straight out of reefer madness.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not a teenager but I knew someone who graduated from a prestigious engineering school with a 3.9 GPA who admitted to smoking weed just about every day, and I don't think anyone's advocating use, legal or otherwise, by teens.
My roomate was like that in my early 20's. Smoked pot bigtime, no impairment at all.

Now granted all of his highschool friends that smoke pot like he did were utter and complete failures with regards to schooling.

I'm 100% legalization of pot but let's not kid ourselves about heavy pot users. For the most part they are not that bright.

But again, with regards to JUST pot, I'm ok with it....I'd rather have my kids smoking pot than drinking heavily at college.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
No offense, but I don't believe any of that. Sounds like something straight out of reefer madness.
We shouldn't be relying on anecdotal evidence, on that I agree.

However, for every "reefer madness" story there are a whole bunch of "pot causes no issues, it can make ropes, it cures cancer, it will give you a 10 inch penis"....obviously exaggerating but there is a lot of "pot the wonder cure-all" stuff out there as well.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We shouldn't be relying on anecdotal evidence, on that I agree.

However, for every "reefer madness" story there are a whole bunch of "pot causes no issues, it can make ropes, it cures cancer, it will give you a 10 inch penis"....obviously exaggerating but there is a lot of "pot the wonder cure-all" stuff out there as well.
I agree, but someone claiming they had 5 friends who had to be institutionalized due to using cannabis is a bit over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies