Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,174,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I think many people work as at will employees and therefore can be let go at any time. Layoffs however are running at 40 year lows (when the population was significantly smaller) and have been for at least a year.

The number of people working part time who want to work full time is off significantly from the recent economic bottom. There were 9.2 million in that category in 2010. Now there are 5.5 million. The lowest that number has been in the last 30 years is 3.1 million in 2000.

I work for a corporation that hires people worldwide for what I do. When they decide to hire, which they are doing, they also decide which country they will hire in. If competing for US workers significantly increases costs they can easily hire elsewhere. I haven't seen anything that Trump has proposed that will alter that behavior.
Here is a link that states we are now staying at jobs longer than we did in 1980: Typical U.S. worker now lasts 4.6 years on job - MarketWatch. I find that hard to believe because my experience has been very different. When I first started working in the 1960's there were many super senior employees - 20 to 40 years seniority. Twenty years later it seemed as if that was cut in half and today it seems that the 4.6 years is about as good as it gets. But I do admit that that is not a nationwide poll - just personal experience.

For what it's worth; many complain on our CD forum about temporary jobs.

With the company I work for I train many immigrants that the company seems to hire first for their full-time positions. That again is not scientific - just a very limited personal experience.

In college I also took economics and I know that statistics don't always portray reality. How we compile statistics today for our employment figures is not the same as we did many years ago - we have changed our standards (moved the goal post).

Many American workers were angry enough to take the time off to attend the rallies. They followed that up by taking the time to vote. Somehow the numbers did not work for them; regardless of how rosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Well, here are some decent jobs.

"Sixty thousand manufacturing jobs were added in the U.S. in 2014, versus 12,000 in 2003, either through so-called reshoring, in which American companies bring jobs back to the U.S., or foreign direct investment, in which foreign companies move production to the U.S., according to a study from the Reshoring Initiative. In contrast, as many as 50,000 jobs were “offshored” last year, a decline from about 150,000 in 2003."

Record number of manufacturing jobs returning to America - MarketWatch

Manufacturers bringing the most jobs back to America

"Manufacturers like Hessaire are part of a growing move to “re-shore” manufacturing jobs that were once lost to countries such as China and Mexico. The Reshoring Initiative, a group that focuses on bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S., estimates that between 2009 and 2016 more than 250,000 jobs were created or brought to the U.S. from other countries."

Why some manufacturers are returning to the U.S. | PBS NewsHour
During the brief time since Election Day, Trump has not missed an opportunity to tweet his version of his accomplishments and condemn those who dare to fact check him and in doing so, ensures the news cycle will cover it.

It's a very different approach/outcome than used/experienced by his predecessors.

It's marketing 101 and Trump has been doing it for 30 years.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"NEW� YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Great Recession ended in June 2009, according to the body charged with dating when economic downturns begin and end."

NBER declares recession ended in June 2009 - Sep. 20, 2010
The projected longterm decline in the labor participation rate was first projected 15 years ago.

Contributing factors include the aging of the population and more adults attending college.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"NEW� YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Great Recession ended in June 2009, according to the body charged with dating when economic downturns begin and end."

NBER declares recession ended in June 2009 - Sep. 20, 2010
The projected longterm decline in the labor participation rate was first projected 15 years ago.

Contributing factors include the aging of the population and more young adults attending college.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,851,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a link that states we are now staying at jobs longer than we did in 1980: Typical U.S. worker now lasts 4.6 years on job - MarketWatch. I find that hard to believe because my experience has been very different. When I first started working in the 1960's there were many super senior employees - 20 to 40 years seniority. Twenty years later it seemed as if that was cut in half and today it seems that the 4.6 years is about as good as it gets. But I do admit that that is not a nationwide poll - just personal experience.

For what it's worth; many complain on our CD forum about temporary jobs.

With the company I work for I train many immigrants that the company seems to hire first for their full-time positions. That again is not scientific - just a very limited personal experience.

In college I also took economics and I know that statistics don't always portray reality. How we compile statistics today for our employment figures is not the same as we did many years ago - we have changed our standards (moved the goal post).

Many American workers were angry enough to take the time off to attend the rallies. They followed that up by taking the time to vote. Somehow the numbers did not work for them; regardless of how rosy.
18 years and counting with my current company (13 and 7 in my prior jobs). I'm not the most senior person in my immediate work group, several others have been at the company longer. I've known people who have moved around a lot. For some it has worked out, for others not so much. I known a fair number who stay for a couple of years and then move on.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 AM

59,214 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Contributing factors include the aging of the population and more young adults attending college.
PLEASE, and the predictors said Hillery would win and that Trump didn't have snowballs chance in hell!

The ONLY time they are right is by accident.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:36 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,497,200 times
Obama will be the first President since WWII who didn't have even one year of 3% economic growth, stimulus plan failed, Dodd-Frank is a mess, Obamacare, the debt is up 87%, ...

Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Default OBAMA LEGACY: The US has added more jobs in the last 7 years than the other major advanced economies combined

The US has performed stunningly vs. the world's large advanced economies. President Obama is leaving the country in better shape than when he took office. Haters can scream and gnash their teeth all they want, but Donald Trump is being handed the strongest economy in the world.

US economy added jobs faster than all G-7 economies combined - Business Insider

Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The US has performed stunningly vs. the world's large advanced economies. President Obama is leaving the country in better shape than when he took office. Haters can scream and gnash their teeth all they want, but Donald Trump is being handed the strongest economy in the world.
Under Obama an employed person is defined as anyone getting paid for at least 1 hour a week.

Here is the mess that Trump is inheriting from Obama.
  • Labor participation is lower than it was when Jimmy Carter was in office.
  • Fewer people have full time jobs than 10 years ago
  • Median household income adjusted for inflation is lower than 25 years ago
  • Record numbers of of adults are on Food Stamps. In fact it's 2x higher than it has ever been since the program was started 50+ years ago.
  • 1 in 3 households are getting some sort of government check to get by.
This speaks for itself.

/thread fail

Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,596,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Under Obama an employed person is defined as anyone getting paid for at least 1 hour a week.
Yawns. The Bureau of Labor Statistics happily is not as misleading as you are. LOL.

Quote:
Here is the mess that Trump is inheriting from Obama.
Prepare to be educated.

Quote:
  • Labor participation is lower than it was when Jimmy Carter was in office.
65% to 62% is a 3% drop. According to the Congressional Budget Office, half of that drop is due to workers getting old and/or retiring.
The Job Market Under President Obama, In 8 Charts : NPR

Quote:
  • Fewer people have full time jobs than 10 years ago
Yes but Obama inherited the worst recession in the last 70 years. LOOKS WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW:

my img

Quote:
  • Median household income adjusted for inflation is lower than 25 years ago
Median Income fluctuates but has stabilized and is growing at a healthy rate.
Median incomes are up and poverty rate is down, surprisingly strong census figures show - LA Times

Quote:
  • Record numbers of of adults are on Food Stamps. In fact it's 2x higher than it has ever been since the program was started 50+ years ago.
In conjunction with the improving economy, 4 million people have left food stamps since 2012.
SNAP Caseload and Spending Declines Accelerated in 2016 | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Oh, and 50 years ago, the US population was 198 Million, today we are at 325 Million-so yeah.
Quote:
  • 1 in 3 households are getting some sort of government check to get by.
Yes and two-thirds of those people(65 million) are social security recipients.

You may have the heart to tell these people to EFF off:

my img

But I do not.

#KNOWLEDGEISPOWER

#FACTSKILLBLUSTER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies