Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As an Englishman, would you support the monarchy?
Yes, God save the Queen! 65 52.85%
No, long live the Republic! 58 47.15%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times

Advertisements

As an American descended from someone who shot at representatives of the monarchy, I am 'genetically' against all monarchs. That doesn't mean I plan to shoot royals, but I think the world might be a better place without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:55 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
To all those posting above who complain of the cost of supporting the monarchy as the UK's form of government, you should look into the cost of the American presidency to the US taxpayers. The American presidency operates on a much more "imperial" level than the British monarchy does, and at a much greater cost. If you think just abolishing a monarchy and replacing it with a republic somehow automatically saves money, think again. One more thing: our recent presidential election is evidence that our system is not necessarily the best in the world. The British monarchy has worked well for over 1,000 years. There are few valid reasons to replace it with anything else.
The american president always travels with an entourage that hasn´t been seen since the days of Louis XIV.
That must be really cheap.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
I wouldn't want to abolish it as long as Betty Windsor is still living.

Once she dies, I'd support abolishing it.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Monarchy is an idiotic system. Nations are stuck with whatever the genetic slot machine decides to spit out. Then there is the fact that they live high on the hog to be a symbol of the nation.

I'll stick with voting to decide which piece of crap we are stuck with.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
The Queen is a non-issue.

How on Earth do you still have the House of Lords? That's what I want to know. Granted, the reform measures of the late 90's did much to abolish peerage, but isn't that far more concerning to you than the completely defunct monarchy?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Does their tourism value exceed the cost of maintaining the monarchy?
This. Once the cost of maintaining them surpasses the benefits, then it would be time to get rid of them.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
This. Once the cost of maintaining them surpasses the benefits, then it would be time to get rid of them.
Oh goodness; there goes Trump!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I AM an Englishman and I respect the monarchy, better that than to have President Tony B Liar.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:07 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Their royals tend to be far better people than our "royals"

Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalGeneral View Post
A different topic now, apart from Trump and the US. Let's go back to Europe. If you would be an Englishman, would you support the monarchy or rather want its abolition?

About me: Loyal subject to Her Majesty. The monarchy represents the British culture and history, and abolishing it would come equal to abolish the past of the UK.

Your thoughts? Most of you would probably not care, but try to decide for your support for or against the monarchy.
I am an Englishman and I fully support the Monarchy.

The Monarchy has very little real power, however I would rather have the Queen as Head of State than Theresa May or Donald Trump.

The Monarchy doesn't cost that much, inmdeed most of the costs relate to property which is listed and which the country would have to pay for anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The Queen is a non-issue.

How on Earth do you still have the House of Lords? That's what I want to know. Granted, the reform measures of the late 90's did much to abolish peerage, but isn't that far more concerning to you than the completely defunct monarchy?
The real power is in the Commons, the HoL's has limited powers to amend and send bills back to the Commons to be looked ast again, however it can only really delay legislation rather than block it, and it has no powers in relation to bills involving finance.

The HoL may be rerduced in size to 600 as part of further reform, and there are also plans to reduce the Commons from 650 to 600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies