Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:07 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,978,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I had real health insurance prior to Obama care. didn't drop people, actually covered pre-existing conditions...

What you speak of is what is the norm now, privatized insurance actually got a lot of bang for your buck. This high deductible EPO crap post oblunder care, which is selective, is what you speak of.

I remember being told by my manager not to mention my back or shoulder issues on the insurance form, otherwise should I have a real issue, it would have to be at work... Ever since it was revised by the ACA it became very very selective...

As stated before I wouldn't have a problem. I had enough assets to liquidate, and residual income from investments. Got them by being a working stiff as you put it... Not a government subsidy/assistance program.

Try it sometime. You'd be amazed at what you can achieve with ambition, skills, thinking for yourself, and motivation.
You would be bankrupt and out on the streets in a matter of days as you said you would end all social welfare, which includes government social security disability insurance, which you now would rely on. You are just hot air. You would need care 24/7, and then you say that you would just rely on the free market and the $100 a month insurance you had? Its just laughable. Those types of insurance policies are cheap because they are sold to people who dont understand how bad they are. The costs you would run up for the insurance company would be at least $10 million with care 24/7 from the age of 22. You wouldnt stand a chance. Oh and you would get no help from Medicaid either and no help to ensure your son is taken care of as you had voted to end Medicaid and all other social welfare programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,024,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
All politicians do. It is a "trendy" thing to say. Yet Veterans are commiting suicide at an alarming rate, can't find employment, end up getting hooked on opioids because of chronic pain, can't find housing. Politicians use Veterans as politcal pawns. I hate it as well. What state are you in?

Not all of them. This guy stands out............He is the only congressman I wrote to who actually wrote back to me in a hand written letter. You will not find a harder working politician for veterans.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/u...t-63.html?_r=0

Old 01-19-2017, 12:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think so too.

My Dad didn't think much of draft dodgers. It would occasionally use the phrase when he was swearing. "Draft-dodging SOB" was a term he used for someone who avoided serving in WWII. Those who avoided military service, stayed behind and sucked up all the good and he didn't thing much of that.

When I was a teenager, the paper ran a story about someone burning the flag. I thought, here we go again. Instead, he glanced through it and turned to the sports page.

When I asked him wasn't he mad about it, he just shrugged. Said he'd slogged through the mud all the way across Europe and lost a lot of good men to make sure that this ******* had the right to do this and he wasn't going to dishonor their memory.

"That's the country we live in," he said and went back to reading the sports page.
Yet, now our military is fighting so illegals can come here and burn our flags, along with gang members. One has to ask, how did we become so disrespectful, we accept this as freedom of speech. People should be too ashamed to want to act like this. As if this country is the only place they can live.....the border is open, use it, if one is this unhappy!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,304,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Just like those old grainy videos from the 1930's?

Or, say, Moscow, c. 1946-1985...

Or, say, Beijing, c. 1989...

Or, say, Budapest, 1956...

Or, say, Prague, 1968...
It is amusing to find all those Soviet lovers suddenly turn against them. Find one article from the 70s that says anything bad about Soviet military parades. Heck, they were fully justified to counter the American threat.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That's exactly what we are talking about here -- Shows of patriotism as opposed to actual patriotism.

Want to show how much we support the troops? Don't send them off to die for Halliburton. Make sure when we send them to war it is for our national security not corporate profits.

Make sure they have the support and services they need when they get home. Don't leave them wandering, homeless and alone.
Sure, but out of sight out of mind. Whats wrong with having our troops in the public eye. The more we see them the more we feel connected, the more we feel connected the more we advocate for their welfare.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,096,085 times

Military parades...its a "thing" among dictators. Have to keep up with the boys, ya know.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times
The amount of ceremony going into a military activity forms an inverse relationship with its importance and usefulness.

So on a scale with taking out bin Laden on one end, we have this on the other end:

Yes, that's Trump in the middle. Sadly, his little footses hurt when his country asked him to become a real soldier.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amspeed17 View Post
Sounds like North Korea.

“Being a great president has to do with a lot of things, but one of them is being a great cheerleader for the country,” Trump said. “And we’re going to show the people as we build up our military, we’re going to display our military.

“That military may come marching down Pennsylvania Avenue. That military may be flying over New York City and Washington, D.C., for parades. I mean, we’re going to be showing our military,”

Yes that sounds just like North Korea.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The amount of ceremony going into a military activity forms an inverse relationship with its importance and usefulness.

So on a scale with taking out bin Laden on one end, we have this on the other end:

Yes, that's Trump in the middle. Sadly, his little footses hurt when his country asked him to become a real soldier.
He did register for the draft, no.
He got educational deferments as did many others in college, yes?

Who else got deferments. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...U16ZPLDymvC1s-

Old 01-19-2017, 01:26 PM

39,258 posts, read 27,655,778 times
I am indifferent about this subject.

I am more interested in seeing veterans well taken care of. No more homeless vets.

VA Is Denying Benefits To Vets With Bad Paper Discharges At Unprecedented Rates, and that is truly messed up. Do they honestly believe these people who receive bad paper are all dishonorable people? give me a break!!!!

I am hoping Trump will fix the VA, I am hoping Trump will take care of the veterans, all of them, especially the combat veterans. That is what I care about more. If you have seen combat, you deserve the benefits. That is how I feel honestly. Well, Bowe Bergdahl might be the exception.

I believe Trump will take care of the military. I don't believe Trump is a hawkish leader. When he said, "iraq war is a big fat mistake." Gee, that sounds like music to my ears.

Oh, no more John McCain type of hero worship. I like people who are captured and not captured. No more lone survivor, Team 6 type of hero worship, either. Special force, or no special force, makes no difference.

uncommon valor was a common virtue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies