Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
See this is where u go wrong. Trump understands in order for a business to survive it needs to produce products in cheaper countries. All the regulations, taxes etc cost too much here. He acknowledges that and hopes to change that. He wants companies to manufacture here. He could not and make a profit. Maybe he will change that.
capitalism 101 US style-
Even if they took away all of the taxes and rules- there is NO comparison paying an overseas worker $5 a week and us $8.75 per HOUR minimum to American workers. NONE- - Now you say OK so MR corporation if you make it overseas- YOU can't sell here with out high price for import tax-! So there! MR corp laughs and says -I NO longer need the American sales-I make billions off the Yuan-or pesos or whatever- the world is buying!
On another note- why hire illegals?? Cheap labor
and last- they BYPASS the system now.. I KNOW for a fact a Chinese can't sell -for instance a blue-ray player- so they ship the insides to Mexico and Mexico puts the casings on and imports it to the US as a MEXICAN item-- which is lawful!

They WERE NOT born yesterday- and know every loophole- remember the corps lobbyists write the LAWS
so let see where we really go from here./
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Clothing probably shouldn't come back in large numbers, but in general more should be made here. Planet Money actually had a fascinating episode discussing how some industries that were here just vanished nearly overnight after NAFTA.
Interestingly enough more and more clothing is being made by automation, as such its actually a good client to come back in order to reduce shipping costs.

More importantly costs such as healthcare, and the inability to compete overseas due to how VAT's are used to control competition in other countries puts us at a disadvantage.

Single payer healthcare would help a lot, as would renegotiating trade deals to take into account how VAT's distort the market. I suspect we will get the VAT argument, but still have issues with the sheer expense of healthcare because of its profit based market will actually continue to make us less competitive.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Multiple choice?

China, Bangladesh or Vietnam.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So its been mentioned with some irony, a LOT of the red "make America great again" hats....weren't made in the United States.

The ones Trump sold? Made in the USA. cost $25. The others that were sold in massive quantities for less? Made in Bangladesh, Vietnam, and China.

It struck me as Trump was giving his speech that a good portion of the crowd was wearing them, as he talked about Buy American, and hire American. It struck me that most of the people watching had probably not.
He's your President now, enjoy the ride.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's your President now, enjoy the ride.
Weird. NOWHERE in my post did I say he wasnt. And in fact in my posts I have over and over said he was.

Whats wrong with you folks? We know this. Hey guess what? We ALSO know he won! GASP!!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's not be slackers, let's compromise air & water quality too!
Save the whales!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I made my own MAGA hat from the wailing and tears of SJWs.
That doesn't even make sense. You made a hat out of liquid?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That doesn't even make sense. You made a hat out of liquid?
it's probably made of near-pure sodium chloride, distilled from tears.
Probably required quite a few gallons.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's probably made of near-pure sodium chloride, distilled from tears.
Probably required quite a few gallons.
Science for Trump!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Science for Trump!

Too bad Trump isn't for Science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies