Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,151,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not going to answer my simple question?

As for the tariffs, they are a tax on foreign businesses.

If they don't want to pay our tariffs, they can open up their markets to US goods.
Do you expect me to sift through 160 comments to figure out what your "simple question" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
My neighbor has been on disability for at least 20 years. He changes his oil in his car and washes it so how disable can he be? Disability has replaced welfare, no doubt about it.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 606,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
My neighbor has been on disability for at least 20 years. He changes his oil in his car and washes it so how disable can he be? Disability has replaced welfare, no doubt about it.
Some are mentally disabled

Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
I've always felt that people who are on some form of welfare should be doing SOMETHING to repay some of that money. Perhaps just pick up trash along the roads, or work on crews that clean up public housing apartments or public parks, or work in hospitals.

I've mentioned before that, at one time in my life, we managed a few tax credit apartment complexes. We had to live on premises as part of the employment agreement. The majority of the residents were on some form of assistance, and they were some of the laziest, dirtiest people I have ever met. Some only had to pay $25 a month for their apartments, and they would have trouble paying even that a lot of times.

They had no respect for the nice apartments we tried to provide for them, they would think nothing of dumping all the garbage out of their car right onto the pavement of the parking lot. An, even though they were on assistance, most of them had to have expensive cars. My car was the worst one in the parking lot, and I worked every day and made good money.

So yes, I think we should start asking these people to do something, anything, to pay for all that they are now given free.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:16 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Sounds good to me. I'm sick of my tax dollars being used to feed leeches.
Me too... But the welfare people are the tip of the iceberg. How much is wasted on nation building? How much has been squandered on the F-35? How much has been squandered on the USS Ford?
There is a lot of waste and yes welfare is abused, but it isn't the worst or only abused program.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:23 AM

So people do realize that the work for benefits usually comes with an asterisk right? We have had work for benefits in Florida for a few years now the stipulation being unless you have children or are disabled.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You can report fraud:

https://oig.ssa.gov/report

Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You can report fraud:

https://oig.ssa.gov/report
I think that the bigger thing at hand here is that not all disabilities are seen physically. For example, people with PTSD or bipolar disorder.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
I think that the bigger thing at hand here is that not all disabilities are seen physically. For example, people with PTSD or bipolar disorder.
I agree.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,814,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some only had to pay $25 a month for their apartments, and they would have trouble paying even that a lot of times.
Where do you live that a person only has to pay that much a month? Those must not be very good apartments.
Even with Section 8 at the minimum we would have to pay a few hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies