Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

Yes. That's a "flaw" in his plan (in which I agree with, btw).

Most terrorists have been Egyptian and Saudi Arabian. Ironically, despite ISIS being in Iraq/Syria, there are barely that many Iraqi or Syrian terrorists. At least, they pail in comparison to terrorists from Egypt, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

But then again, he's a politician. They will always play favourites and play the game (as you said, he has ties with the Gulf and Egypt).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
All of this applies to Christianity as well.
Maybe 500 years ago. Not now. Learn history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Virtually none of the terror attacks came from those countries he is restricting, this makes no sense at all particularly since most of the attacks came from people that were here for several years already. No ban on Saudi Arabia where most of the 9/11 terrorists originated, home to the radical Wahhabism Schools.
His executive order is about refugees.

There are no refugees coming from Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
This is embarrassing to the US, sad moment and complete overreaction.
No, it's a sad moment for liberals, not the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
The question that needs to be answered in the first place is that when there's trouble in the world and people need to go somewhere to escape danger, why is it ALWAYS western nations that need to be that safe haven that they escape to? Why are we FORCED to take them in otherwise we're inhumane monsters for not doing so? Why is it absolutely fine for countries like Japan to completely refuse to take in refugees and undesirable immigrants and not have them be called racists and be shamed into taking these people?
Good questions!

Quote:
With Muslims these days where simply believing in Islam could have the potential of them to becoming terrorists with self-radicalization, why in the HELL do we want to bring even more of these people in??
Exactly. Why?

Quote:
Everytime there's a terrorist attack in a western nation, the inevitable question that will be asked is 'Why didn't we do more to stop them?' and 'How did we fail in detecting this attack and stopping it before it happened??' etc.
And of course, the libs will be right up in front demanding answers to those questions, even though they didn't want to keep Muslim refugees out or vet them properly.

Quote:
The answer is there's no enough resources in the world to stop all terror attacks so the best way to lower the risk is NOT bring in the group of people who are most likely to commit such attacks.
Exactly.

Quote:
And again I ask what do Muslims bring to the US that's so special that Asian immigrants couldn't provide with a fraction of the risk and virtually no threat of terrorism and who could mostly become self-sufficient in a relatively short amount of time?
Another good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why Iran is in the ban is beyond me. Well, I know, favorite rightie target. But if Trump were to do this right, there would be one major criteria that is missing: sect. Forget countries. Ban Sunnis, you idiot. They are the terrorists.
Shiites are terrorists, too, and Iran -- a Shiite country -- supports terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Here's an idea, Lets not take in any refugees., from anywhere.
I think we have done enough, we have policed the world since WW2, we send vast amounts of money to dozens of country's, and the useless UN, We out spend all of our allies combined 10 times over on defence so that they can maintain there social welfare utopia's.
As far as I am concerned we have done our fair share, Refugees will just have to go elsewhere, Nobody will take you, oh well not our problem.
No foreigner of any religion has a right to come to the United States. Solve your own problems, fix your own country and or government or go somewhere else, but your not coming here.

Time to turn on the NO VACANCY sign.

RR
I would help Europeans, Brits, Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, etc., who aren't Muslims or Muslim enablers, but they are unlikely to become refugees in the near future. In the far future when Europe is taken over by Muslims -- that would be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
The Muslim ban needs two things:

1. Extend to more countries
2. Extend well beyond 3 months

I know it will likely be extended beyond 3 months anyways, but this should be stated upfront.
It should be permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Exactly. If the refugees are such good, productive people, then go somewhere else and build a great country. I won't hold my breath waiting for a great Muslim country though lol
Me, neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Indeed.

We won't know about his business interests until he releases his tax returns.
He filed a hundred pages of business info with the federal elections commission when he started his campaign. Go there if you're interested in finding out about his businesses -- of course, I know you won't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Trump is using an axe where he should be using a scalpel. What he is doing is illegal and wrong. He is a dangerous and ignorant dictator who should be stopped before he destroys the country. He's creating jobs alright--for attorneys. Lots of attorneys.

"...Lawyers for the International Refugee Assistance Project and the National Immigration Law Center filed a lawsuit early Saturday in federal court seeking to release Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Haider Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshawi, who are being held at John F. Kennedy Airport.

...Darweesh, now 53, worked on behalf of the U.S. military in Iraq for a decade as an interpreter and electrical engineer, earning him a so-called “special immigrant visa” that are allotted to Iraqi nationals who aided the U.S. government during the Iraq War and now face threats staying there. Darweesh applied for the visa in Oct. 1, 2014, which was issued on Jan. 20, the same day Trump was inaugurated.

And Alshawi, 33, was granted a visa Jan. 11 to join his wife and son, who have already been resettled as refugees in Houston..."

Trump sued after Iraqis detained at airport - POLITICO

Trump Brings Shame to U.S. With Immigration Ban Based on Fear
Those cases against Trump aren't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This could be said of any immigrant groups, including your ancestors when they first arrived here....
Well, since you don't know my ancestors, I'll file this under "b.s."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm confused.

You people are lauding him for taking action on Muslim entrants BUT are ignoring the illogical part of him exempting the one country whose leadership and citizens were complicit in committing the most egregious attack upon you within your borders.

America went to war with Japan after 2,403 American deaths.

America still allows Muslim entrants from the country proven complicit in 2,996 immediate deaths with the ultimate toll not yet counted

15 Years After 9/11, The Death Toll Continues To Rise | The Huffington Post

Being that selective would indicate that perhaps you've put a swamp rat in charge of draining your swamp. Wouldn't you agree?
His executive order is about refugees. There aren't any refugees from Saudi Arabia.

Paying attention is a good thing.

It remains to be seen what Trump will do about Saudi Arabia.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The refugee situation aside, WHY should the US base any decision it makes on the actions of some country like Saudi Arabia that has a history of financing radical Islamic schools teaching hatred of the west, practices one of the most radical forms of Islam, and has a horrible human rights record?
Our European and Asian allies are heavily dependent on Saudi oil, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And what makes Saudi Arabia, with its history of funding radical Islamic schools preaching hatred of the west as well as its radical form of Islam, anything but one of the "muslim s**holes"?
Nothing. But Trump's order has to do with refugees, and there are no refugees coming from Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I doubt your sincerity unless you are not well educated. Any educated person would recognize that in addition to those 7 countries, Trump should have included Pakistan at the very least and Saudi Arabia
No refugees from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How many of the terrorists involved in 9-11 came from Saudi? 12 of 13.
There were 19 terrorists, not 13.

Quote:
Yet Saudi is not 'on the list.
This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Then perhaps you should research Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Egypt's roles in financing, exporting and hosting terrorists.

Remember 9/11? Where did those terrorists come from?

What is your rationale for excluding the above-mentioned countries?
This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Egypt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I'm scrutinizing what TRUMP is doing.

Leaving Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and UAE, off the list is not only stupid but also COWARDLY.
This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the UAE. You can calm down now.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:09 AM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Nothing. But Trump's order has to do with refugees, and there are no refugees coming from Saudi Arabia.

No refugees from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia.

This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Egypt.

This is about refugees. No refugees are coming from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the UAE. You can calm down now.
I don't believe that you're correct

Quote:
Sec. 3. Suspension of Issuance of Visas and Other Immigration Benefits to Nationals of Countries of Particular Concern.
(c) To temporarily reduce investigative burdens on relevant agencies during the review period described in subsection (a) of this section, to ensure the proper review and maximum utilization of available resources for the screening of foreign nationals, and to ensure that adequate standards are established to prevent infiltration by foreign terrorists or criminals, pursuant to section 212(f) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f), I hereby proclaim that the immigrant and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of aliens from countries referred to in section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12), would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and I hereby suspend entry into the United States, as immigrants and nonimmigrants, of such persons for 90 days from the date of this order (excluding those foreign nationals traveling on diplomatic visas, North Atlantic Treaty Organization visas, C-2 visas for travel to the United Nations, and G-1, G-2, G-3, and G-4 visas).
There's an entire other section regarding refugees
Quote:
Sec. 5. Realignment of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program for Fiscal Year 2017.
(a) The Secretary of State shall suspend the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for 120 days.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politi...-ban-refugees/

Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
This is about refugees.
If the Executive Order is only about refugees, why are tens of thousands of Canadian citizens now unable to visit the U.S. for any reason? They are not refugees. They just happen to have dual citizenship involving one of the countries listed in the E.O.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Islam, like nearly all religions, is an ideology. Its not am involuntary state of being.

It also happens to be explicitly sexist and homophobic and is discriminatory (at least financially) against those who do not believe it. Nice of you to stand up for a sexist homophobic voluntary ideology. Very noble. I'm speaking out - no more sexist homophobes please, we already have enough home grown ones.
This same description fits the Christian bible perfectly.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is just as important to talk about the countries the Muslim ban doesn't apply to. Conveniently the ones he has businesss ties in - Egypt, Saudi, UAE ....

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...t-of-interest/

So much for consistency.
Hate to tell you, but the cited source is lying to you. This is "fake news." Trump did not select seven Muslim majority countries. Barack Obama did.
It was the US policy under Obama to restrict and target people “who have been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited government/military exceptions).” This was text of the US Customs and Border Protection in 2015 relating to “the Visa Waiver Program and Terrorist Travel Protection Act of 2015“
It was signed into law on December 18, 2015, as part of the Omnibus Appropriations Act of FY2016.

Read more here: https://sethfrantzman.com/2017/01/28...wont-tell-you/

Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
I don't believe that you're correct
I am correct.

Trump's executive order has to do with refugees.

But if it has to do with non-refugees, that's even better!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If the Executive Order is only about refugees, why are tens of thousands of Canadian citizens now unable to visit the U.S. for any reason? They are not refugees. They just happen to have dual citizenship involving one of the countries listed in the E.O.
Then they should be kept out.

Go Trump!

Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This same description fits the Christian bible perfectly.
No, all that stuff is in the Jewish Old Testament, which has nothing to do with Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies