Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I argued elsewhere that I believed prohibiting people from reentering when they had lawful permission is wrong and violates their natural right to due process. The problem with this appears to be what the MSM reported vs what the President ordered. It appears they may face additional reentry scrutiny, but what we've since found out is the President did not throw a blanket denial of entry to those who have already been processed and have a legal means to be in the country. It was just bad reporting.

NO it was NOT!! those people, were detained! FACTS- go to the ICE site- they are confused as to execution of the order and now attorneys suing left and right-- NOT FROM A BOGUS NEWS REPORT! for God sakes get out the barn once in awhile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ I just don't consider the US as a whole "unsafe" or even use the whole big country as a point of comparison. I'd rather talk about specific areas. If a European were to ask me, how safe is the US, I would then ask, where are you going/which part are we talking? Even though there are statistics available it is far too large to generalize, especially if a nationwide crime rate is probably just going to lead people to freak out if they're coming from an overall safer country.

"The US is more dangerous than Europe" or "x European country" means nothing to me, as someone from a very safe state overall and a very very safe area within that state. My first question to someone would be, which part of the US are we talking?
OK, fair enough. But the point is that Europe is safe.

There is no part of Europe where any American visitor need to worried about being harmed by terrorists or something. There is a much higher risk of being harmed in a car accident while driving to the local WalMart.

And I HIGHLY suspect the people who keep claiming "Germany is in chaos" don't hold passports, have never traveled abroad, and just don't know much about the world. There are lots of dumb people in the world, and U.S. has its fair share.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

So am I. It still has a potential to affect me based on my employment. Contrary to what you may believe, American businesses and organizations and universities all can be potentially impacted by this. Many universities in particular have international students who would be denied entry. I saw a post by a student in a medical residency program with Cleveland Clinic who was denied entry back to the US after visiting her family. A large amount of our doctors/physicians are permanent residents. My father's doctor is also Persian/Iranian. In my area we have a lot of people of Middle Eastern heritage.

Where I worked in metro Atlanta has the largest concentration of Somali refugees/immigrants outside of MN. So there are areas where even if you are an American, it would effect your life.

Also many Americans are married to people from other countries. Contrary to what many believe, the spouses do not automatically becoming citizens of our country. There is a process that allows the spouse of an American to become a permanent resident but not all of them become citizens just because they are married to an American and this EO can cause issues with those families.
Exactly this. I'm an American citizen married to an immigrant. It took my spouse 5 years from the time we were married until he was eligible for naturalization. It was a stressful, time consuming, expensive process. I have many friends who are also married to immigrants. Some have opted not to naturalize for a whole host of reasons. All of them work here, pay taxes, contribute to their communities. Several of them own their own businesses and employ Americans. I'm glad for each and every one of them.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And what would happen to you if you went on vacation, or went to visit family, and suddenly without warning your time away was extended by 90 days? Would you think its funny then? What would happen to your job, your house, the car you have parked at the airport...?
It's not like something like this never happened before. When Carter was president, he banned Iranians from coming to this country. If you were alive then, you will recall that no one raised a stink.

I worked in an international office at a college during that time. What it meant to the Iranian students was that they couldn't go home for summer vacation. Nor could they visit another country and expect to let back into the US. The ones who visited our office with questions were not happy about it but they did accept it.

Anyone who is in the position in your scenario, I'm sure has extended family or friends who could help them out. Someone could get their car at the airport, etc. Sure, there will be a lot of back and forth but issues could be resolved. Traveling abroad, even to friendly countries, is never without some risk.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
It's temporary. Calm down. Hysterical, hyperbolic and deranged liberal attacks seem really immature and unreasonable.

unless it was you who had to strip down and bend over at the airport for hours--- or maybe your student daughter???

Old 01-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It's not like something like this never happened before. When Carter was president, he banned Iranians from coming to this country. If you were alive then, you will recall that no one raised a stink.

I worked in an international office at a college during that time. What it meant to the Iranian students was that they couldn't go home for summer vacation. Nor could they visit another country and expect to let back into the US. The ones who visited our office with questions were not happy about it but they did accept it.

Anyone who is in the position in your scenario, I'm sure has extended family or friends who could help them out. Someone could get their car at the airport, etc. Sure, there will be a lot of back and forth but issues could be resolved. Traveling abroad, even to friendly countries, is never without some risk.

wherethey detained in 12 hours after the order inflight? meaning have not reached the destinations approved prior?

Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,964,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
As I said in another thread, virtue signaling is an easy no-commitment way of offering meaningless platitudes to show fellow liberals that you are part of the tribe. Because nothing is as satisfying as feeling like you're a part of something that requires so little action on one's part.
Thank you for the clarification. It makes more sense than my version.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
NO it was NOT!! those people, were detained! FACTS- go to the ICE site- they are confused as to execution of the order and now attorneys suing left and right-- NOT FROM A BOGUS NEWS REPORT! for God sakes get out the barn once in awhile

Excuse me? What did you mean by, "for God sakes get out the barn once in awhile"???

I don't CARE that people were detained and put through EXTRA scrutiny because they came from a country that is on the list. I'm equally unconcerned that ICE agents or other government agents got confused and temporarily detain some folks at the airport because they traveled here from countries on that list. I am glad the ACLU contacted the court and got an immediate court order (which I believe was not necessary because I'm pretty sure it would have been worked out) that ordered the government to NOT deport people who had legal documentation showing they had legal status in this country. What the court did NOT say was that officials could not put these folks through extra scrutiny. It also did not say that they couldn't be deported, it merely ordered that these people who had legal visas and green cards be afforded due process BEFORE an action could be taken against them, AS IT SHOULD BE.

Good heavens! Don't have an aneurysm. We agree yet you appear to be having a conniption.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
When I was a child, my father who was originally from Hungary (defected in 1956 during the Hungarian revolution) was a 1st Sgt in the US Army. He was a US citizen and had been one since '70. My mother was originally from Germany, which is where I was born as a Hungarian. She was also naturalized by '72. By law, I as a child was automatically granted citizenship (no I was not naturalized, nor required to be) but because paperwork hadn't been filed, we were prevented from going to Germany with my father until we got the paperwork taken care of. It took nearly a year to get my certificate of citizenship, then another month to get my passport. We were finally able to join my father in Germany after a year of being apart.

Was it inconvenient? Yes it was. Was it the end of the world? No way. That was a difficulty that took a little over a year. The folks at the airports were inconvenienced less than 2 days. We weren't foreigners anymore. We weren't going on visas or green cards. We were all Americans yet we still faced that inconvenience, and that was nothing compared to when my parents first tried to bring us (again, born in Germany as Hungarians because the law of the land in Germany said the child takes the nationality of their father) into the US as babies. That took nearly 2 years and with the help of highly placed military officials, we were finally connected with several congressmen who helped speed up the process.

It happens. It's an inconvenience. Life goes on. Get over it.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
My best guess is because not only do we have a major military presence there, they also have a fairly cooperative and pretty well established government there. Our military works hand in hand with the Afghani government. They appear to be working toward the same goal.
You are comfortable saying that even though al-Qaeda has reopened terrorist training camps in Afghanistant, the Chelsea bomber was an afghan and the Orlando shooter was of Afghan descent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies