Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:07 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Mexico has always been dicey to visit, might even be worse now that they are going to have to pay for the Trump Wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 01:07 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I wouldn't go just now. By and large the mexican people, like American people are not the government, but there is a growing animosity on both sides. The border towns are certainly not safe. Rocky Point is probably OK, but the road between is isolated and risky and you can not take any weapons. Last I heard there was a daytime travel only warning in effect.

I used to work in Mexico for a security contractor, I know Mexico better than the US, and I am not willing to go there unarmed right now, that should tell you something. Chances are nothing will happen, but do you want to be the guinea pig?

Go to San Diego if you want a beach, you can speak Spanish there too, and they won't let you have guns either, so it's almost the same, but they have great Italian food!

Don't get caught behind the lines if Cali secedes and Trump invades...
Wow it's that bad. It's been twenty something years since I've been to Mexico. I'll hold off on that for a while, maybe go to SoCal instead.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:26 AM

772 posts, read 390,633 times
Why would you want to visit that place?

There are so many beautiful places to visit in this world.

Mexico is a garbage dump, you can't even drink the water.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:37 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Those travel advisories from the state department or wherever `will scare the crap out of you. I did a lot of traveling through the 2000's and would take them with a grain of salty. I practically lived in Costa Rica and spent a lot of time in Panama and Mexico as well. They always stated those country's were high crime and you would probably die. I'm still here.

As far as Mexico goes, moder resort towns I'd have absolutely no problems whatsoever. Places such as cabo an Lucas, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, Isla Mujeres, etc.... I know plenty who visit as they take their boats to those places for month's at a time and never any problems. As far as non known places and rough border towns? keep your guard up like you would in any Latin American country.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 AM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Why would you want to visit that place?

There are so many beautiful places to visit in this world.
Mexico is one of them

Old 01-29-2017, 01:49 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Mexico is one of them
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:03 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Mexico is one of them
Not sure if the whole country is beautiful, but I've been to Cancun, Acapulco and Ixtapa and they were all very nice. That was a while ago, I wouldn't feel safe going there now.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
The border wall, the tarrifs, and the general anti-mexican sentiment that seems to be getting louder. When you put it all together, do you think it will result in a Mexico that is dangerous for American travelers? I know that cartel gangs are ruthless, but I don't think they target Americans.

I used to party in Tijuana alot in my twenties, great memories there. Cheap beer, multi-level dance bars overlooking Avenue Revolution, and of course, the red-light district.

Now that I'm living in Phoenix I'd like visit Mexico again, maybe speak a little Spanish even. There's the border town of Nogales, and Rocky Point which is the closest beach to Phoenix. I hope it's safe down there.
You can get cheap beer, dancing, and Mexican hookers next door in Nevada.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:50 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Mexico has had travel warnings for Americans for a long time. I'm sure parts of it are lovely but travel advisories have been issued for years, long before anyone was scared of Trump.
Travel warnings are often (not always) political in nature. I spent just about every summer in the late 80s to the mid-90s in Greece. Travel warnings from the state dept were rampant for the country at that time. When you read them in detail they are often issues we deal with daily in our own home cities. A few years back hubby and I went to Cabo. There were travel warnings. Most were about petty crime, don't wander down strange streets...the things I watch out for here in my own city. We took public buses to town, walked...of course we paid attention to our surroundings. Border towns can be a different case.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
"Safe zones" like Cuzamel and Cancun are basically extensions of cruise lines. American tourist make up 99% of their economy so it's much safer as a bad reputation would shut those places down. Everywell else is take it at your own risk.
Americans are basically walking ATM machines. Mexico is one of the top countries for kidnapping. Even if you have no cash on you , they know you know somebody with cash.
None of this is political, just strictly economical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies