Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I didn't mean to come off curt, and if I did, I apologize, you may very well be right, however, I seem to remember that it happened...there was a lot of press over something, and then he wasn't in a whole lot of movies any longer....so? But I seem to remember something happening with him...?
You could always google it. If you had, you would know it was Penn's father who was blacklisted because he refused to give names to HUAC. Remember that swell guy McCarthy? Google him. Sean Penn filed a suit against Steve Bing on the grounds that he believed Bing fired him from a leading role due to Penn's anti-war views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
for me, the jury is still out with Trump...

Well, I'm glad we were able to discuss this and thank you for taking the time...greatly appreciate.
If "the jury is still out with Trump" for you or anyone else, I hate to guess what evidence you lack or need to have arrived at a verdict well long before now. The verdict that Trump is utterly unfit to be POTUS and has us moving backward rather than forward, seems obvious to me. More and more obvious as I follow the news every day.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you have your collection of "alternative facts" that those still unsure about Trump tend to value more than the truth of these matters, and I've read them all in this forum, so not likely any good can come of further exchange about that.

Your kind words are appreciated as well, but I really don't devote all that much time in the mornings to quickly scan and reply to some of these comments in this forum. I agree that even people who we don't agree with can be good people too. Unfortunately, even Al Quaida can "win hearts and minds" with acts of kindness.

It's the walk more than the talk that matters most, and even "good kind-hearted people" who are inclined toward bigotry, racism, sexism, intolerance of others (like actors, gay people, peaceful protesters, Liberals), remain the problem no matter how good or kind-hearted they may appear...

Old 02-04-2017, 11:14 AM

381 posts, read 177,317 times
I do find it ironic that Hollywood being so liberal and rather condescendingly preaching their values of accepting everyone, Oscars 2016 were being boycotted by some because of non-white nominees in the major categories. White actors may have just been better that year, but so much for the diversity they love to preach about.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
I do find it ironic that Hollywood being so liberal and rather condescendingly preaching their values of accepting everyone, Oscars 2016 were being boycotted by some because of non-white nominees in the major categories. White actors may have just been better that year, but so much for the diversity they love to preach about.
Equally ironic is the conservative ability to find versions of "reverse discrimination" in just about every effort to point at what is obviously an over-representation of certain people in certain industries and in positions of power, whether in business, government or Hollywood...

Is it also that Jews "just happen to be better" that explains why they are mentioned, featured and honored in Hollywood/movies far more than any other religious group, year after year, decade after decade? Was that also the reason blacks were not playing baseball or football for all those years before they were allowed? What of minorities and women in positions of leadership in government, business? And Hollywood again too?

Is it because all those/these years older white men "just happen to be better?"

I'm an older white male, and though I don't think I am any sort of fool, I'm not stupid or condescending or so lacking in humility to "preach" that older white men "just happen to be better" at just about everything related to power and wealth in this country!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 AM

PREACHING

Of course people who see these problems of discrimination, lack of inclusion, "old boys clubs," racism, sexism, etc. are going to "preach" against these wrongs if they have a conscious and care at all for those suffering from injustice. Right?

MLK one of the best "preachers" the country has ever known. Should have kept his mouth shut?

What else might we or should we expect of people who care about righting wrongs in whatever way they can?

Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:
no, actually Sean was rejected by Hollywood for a long time, believe me, your not nearly as old as me....I googled it to and nothing was said about it, but I certainly remember it.

I mean they didn't walk around saying, YOUR BLACKBALLED, they just did it. and it made me very angry, b/c like it or not, he was always a very powerful actor...

and BTW, it's not a general grip, it's open for discussion...
Sean Penn was never blacklisted. You're thinking of somebody else.

Sean Penn Filmography and Movies | Fandango

Year
Title Role 2016 The Angry Birds Movie Terence 2015 The Gunman James Terrier 2013 The Human Experiment
2013 The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) Sean O'Connell 2013 Gangster Squad Mickey Cohen 2011 This Must Be the Place Cheyenne 2011 The Tree of Life Jack O'Brien 2010 Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune
2010 Fair Game Joe Wilson 2008 Milk Harvey Milk 2008 What Just Happened Himself 2007 Persepolis Ebi (English Version) 2007 Into the Wild
2007 War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death Narrator 2006 All the King's Men (2006) Willie Stark 2005 The Interpreter Tobin Keller 2004 The Assassination of Richard Nixon Sam Bicke 2004 Riding Giants Narrator 2003 It's All About Love Marciello 2003 21 Grams Paul 2003 Mystic River Jimmy Markum 2002 September 11
2001 Dogtown and Z-Boys Narrator 2001 I Am Sam Sam Dawson 2001 The Pledge
2001 The Beaver Trilogy Groovin' Larry 2000 The Weight of Water Thomas Janes 2000 Up At The Villa Rowley Flint 2000 Before Night Falls Cuco Sanchez 1999 Sweet and Lowdown Emmet Ray 1998 Hurlyburly Eddie 1998 The Thin Red Line First Sgt. Edward Welsh 1997 The Game Conrad 1997 She's So Lovely Eddie 1995 Dead Man Walking Mathew Poncelet 1995 The Crossing Guard
1993 Carlito's Way David Kleinfeld 1991 The Indian Runner
1990 State of Grace (1990) Terry Noonan 1989 Casualties of War Sgt. Meserve 1988 Colors Danny McGavin 1986 At Close Range Brad Whitewood, Jr. 1985 The Falcon and the Snowman Daulton Lee 1984 Racing With the Moon Henry "Hopper" Nash 1983 Summerspell Buddy 1983 Bad Boys (1983) Mick O'Brien 1982 Fast Times at Ridgemont High Jeff Spicoli 1981 Taps

Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems we probably agree about much, "see eye to eye" in general. Accordingly, I wondered how your axioms might compare to mine if I were to attempt to enumerate them as you have.

That would take some thinking and time on my part, because I suspect I've got more than just two rules of thumb at work when I evaluate other opinion and/or express mine. Time I don't have right now...

Instead, regarding your two axioms, I sure hope what ideas you hold require a fair bit more in the way of criteria beyond not subscribing to those either "slightly or ENTIRELY devoid of any and all substantiation." Funny, although I know that greatly excludes many ideas expressed in this forum.
Well sure, the converse for example clearly holds true. I DO subscribe to ideas that are heavily substantiated. I put myself at the mercy of the rigors of intellectual verification of claims, and the placement of claims on what I call a "truth continuum". That is I do not rank claims as true or false, but as falling somewhere along a probability spectrum of truth value.

And at all times when I reach a conclusion on any point or any issue I endeavor to run as many self checking algorithms as I can to ensure that I reached those conclusions at the behest of the evidence, and not my personal biases or agendas or desires.

Quote:
I came here to learn more about politics and how things work...but get frustrated when people make those blanket hateful comments
Yet you reap what you sow, and you make so many blanket comments yourself that you are likely only to get the same in return. Your blanket comments about how liberals view the law for example were so off kilter as to be the fantasies of paranoid delusion. Or your hatred of Clinton leading you to basically smear all defense lawyers who ever took a case defending a rapist. These are not the comments of someone taking a rational view of things, but someone who is ENTIRELY dependent on blanket statements and dismissals.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Sean Penn was never blacklisted. You're thinking of somebody else.

Sean Penn Filmography and Movies | Fandango

Year
Title Role 2016 The Angry Birds Movie Terence 2015 The Gunman James Terrier 2013 The Human Experiment
2013 The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) Sean O'Connell 2013 Gangster Squad Mickey Cohen 2011 This Must Be the Place Cheyenne 2011 The Tree of Life Jack O'Brien 2010 Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune
2010 Fair Game Joe Wilson 2008 Milk Harvey Milk 2008 What Just Happened Himself 2007 Persepolis Ebi (English Version) 2007 Into the Wild
2007 War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death Narrator 2006 All the King's Men (2006) Willie Stark 2005 The Interpreter Tobin Keller 2004 The Assassination of Richard Nixon Sam Bicke 2004 Riding Giants Narrator 2003 It's All About Love Marciello 2003 21 Grams Paul 2003 Mystic River Jimmy Markum 2002 September 11
2001 Dogtown and Z-Boys Narrator 2001 I Am Sam Sam Dawson 2001 The Pledge
2001 The Beaver Trilogy Groovin' Larry 2000 The Weight of Water Thomas Janes 2000 Up At The Villa Rowley Flint 2000 Before Night Falls Cuco Sanchez 1999 Sweet and Lowdown Emmet Ray 1998 Hurlyburly Eddie 1998 The Thin Red Line First Sgt. Edward Welsh 1997 The Game Conrad 1997 She's So Lovely Eddie 1995 Dead Man Walking Mathew Poncelet 1995 The Crossing Guard
1993 Carlito's Way David Kleinfeld 1991 The Indian Runner
1990 State of Grace (1990) Terry Noonan 1989 Casualties of War Sgt. Meserve 1988 Colors Danny McGavin 1986 At Close Range Brad Whitewood, Jr. 1985 The Falcon and the Snowman Daulton Lee 1984 Racing With the Moon Henry "Hopper" Nash 1983 Summerspell Buddy 1983 Bad Boys (1983) Mick O'Brien 1982 Fast Times at Ridgemont High Jeff Spicoli 1981 Taps
as I replied in a previous post, I'm sorry, but I remember something that was going on with him in his earlier years with Hollywood, maybe I'm mistaken, as my memory isn't always loyal...so?

Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Because there aren't any conservative actors, shows or movies .
ahh- hmm --well-
Conservative Actors: List of Republican Stars in Hollywood

Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Wow, I didn't realize so many were republicans...
well one thing for sure, they don't seem to vocalize for politicians nearly as much as liberals do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies