Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

The fedguv owns about 30% of the land in the US. Time for an auction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
This was the number one thing I was afraid of with the Republican taking power, selling off national land.
I saw it with the Bundy's who thought because they made money off of the land they should own it, welfare property grab.
It belongs to ever American and future American. It's not for sale.
I've never protested or marched for a cause but I will for this one.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ement-chaffetz
Why not? Obama and hillary sold 25% of our uranium supply to Putin, their a wholl buddy.

Lot of land confiscated by the EPA because they claim ownership to any puddle of water on private land.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
I hope the States get first crack at this land.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:26 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
You mean all that land Obama grabbed away from the states the last couple of years?
link or you are lying.... you make a strong claim thus it requires at least some limited support.

Otherwise you are by default wrong and now owe the OP 4 dollars and a back rub. (if desired).

Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
This was the number one thing I was afraid of with the Republican taking power, selling off national land.
I saw it with the Bundy's who thought because they made money off of the land they should own it, welfare property grab.
It belongs to ever American and future American. It's not for sale.
I've never protested or marched for a cause but I will for this one.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ement-chaffetz

" Republicans looking to give sell off National Land.'

Why not?

"It owns just 7/10ths of one percent of the State of New York. It owns just 1.1 percent of the State of Illinois. It owns just 1.8 percent of the State of Texas. But then go further west and you will see the reason for the Western revolt. The Federal Government owns and controls 62 percent of the state of Alaska, 2/3 of Utah and 81 percent of the state of Nevada. It owns 48 percent of my home state of California. Nearly half. In one county in my district – Alpine County – the federal government owns 93 percent of the land.

https://mcclintock.house.gov/newsroo...eral-footprint

If it is just sitting there and not doing any good maybe we should sell some off and help with the almost $20 TRILLION debt.

Makes sense to me.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Jason Chaffetz is an idiot, he was anti trump but at the last minute he said he would hold his nose and vote for him. The mainstream republican party is full of these clowns but there are are alot of republicans that oppose this. These are the type of issues that just make republicans so despised and out of power for so long, they basically rode the trump wave and disgust with the Democrats. The selling off of these lands wouldnt even bring much in revenue.

"Due to a controversial change this month to the House of Representatives’ rules, the sale does not have to make money for the federal government. A representative for the interior department, Mike Pool, who weighed in on a version of the bill in 2011, said selling those 3.3m acres “would be unlikely to generate revenue”.

A Republican conservation group in Utah likened it at the time to “selling the house to pay the light bill”.

This is why conservationists and outdoorsmen need to be vocal

Call your representative and Tell them to vote AGAINST the new land takeover bill (H.R. 621)

"A poll conducted just a few months after the first time Rep. Chaffetz introduced his legislation in 2013 showed that 72 percent of voters in western states would be less likely to vote for a candidate who supports selling public lands

Overall, Americans across the U.S. decisively reject the idea of selling off public lands: Polling from after the 2016 election showed that 78 percent of Americans oppose efforts to privatize or sell public lands, including 64 percent of people who voted for Trump."
"Jason Chaffetz is an idiot"

When you start posts with statement like this MOST people ignore you.

"He who casts the insult is USUALLY the party GUILTY of the insult"

Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 PM

212 posts, read 426,968 times
I was hoping for a substantive group of posts, but a quick look through them indicates too much misinformation to be worthwhile joining for more than this one post.

I am against the private taking of the commons for individual benefits. I believe that private property rights definitely had its place and time and may need to be revisited in the future. For a lesson on this, visit: the peerage system of Great Britain, its subsequent colonization of other continents (N. America, Oceania & Africa/subcontinent of India) and all of the wreckage from that concept, which remains to this day.

An interesting factoid: Israel believes that fresh/potable water is in the public domain and that their government is tasked with distributing water rights and developing water policies for the benefit of all citizens. That's why they are able to manage their arid situation so brilliantly, feed themselves, as compared to many other countries.

And I leave you with an interesting exercise: google drive the Florida and Oregon coastlines to the extent possible. Or look at images. One retains God or Nature's magnificence, inspiring creativity, relaxation, recreation for free. In the other, you can drag your rented beach chair a few feet apart from the next rented one, look out (hopefully) about 45 degrees towards nature's monochromatic bounty before you turn around, dust the sand off and head to the air conditioned lobby of the hotel. If you're lucky, YOU'RE the one who owns the stucco structure (in the middle of the other two stucco structures), paying handsomely for the taxation and flood insurance.

Feed your ego or feed your soul. That's the story here, nothing more.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:08 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Republicans looking to give sell off National Land.'

Why not?

"It owns just 7/10ths of one percent of the State of New York. It owns just 1.1 percent of the State of Illinois. It owns just 1.8 percent of the State of Texas. But then go further west and you will see the reason for the Western revolt. The Federal Government owns and controls 62 percent of the state of Alaska, 2/3 of Utah and 81 percent of the state of Nevada. It owns 48 percent of my home state of California. Nearly half. In one county in my district – Alpine County – the federal government owns 93 percent of the land.

https://mcclintock.house.gov/newsroo...eral-footprint

If it is just sitting there and not doing any good maybe we should sell some off and help with the almost $20 TRILLION debt.

Makes sense to me.
You can only sell the land once.
Why should our generation be the beneficiary?
No, it belongs to the future.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Don't you mean the land Obama expanded upon that land Bush declared National Parks and much of it is water by the way.
Yeah that's what they mean.

Republicans would have us drilling in the Grand Canyon if they could.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
If America ever had the one great idea it is the National Park System. We must protect all of this land, parks, monuments, wildlife sanctuaries and all the rest, from private exploitation and development. We must not only protect this land we should spend money making it accessible to all of our citizens.

One good reason for public ownership and much more thorough management can be found by looking through Google Earth at the Western grazing land. Some of the land has remained grassland under Federal limitations. The private land has been turned into a Juniper bush forest because of grazing too many cattle for the grass to survive. Instead of selling off government land the government should be buying up private grazing land and restoring the productive capacity of that land and leasing it to responsible ranchers in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies