Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Let me ask you something... if a teacher has one or two unruly children in his/her classroom, do you blame the teacher? I doubt it.

BUT, if a teacher has a classroom full of unruly children, yes, you'd tend to question the teacher's ability to teach. No one respects that teacher obviously and he/she has lost control.

You say anyone suffering from 'Trump Anxiety Syndrome" is an idiot.

Well Manimuni, there are a few children who don't act up in Trump's classroom. They listen and go along with what he says and does. He is their authority figure and teacher.

How can you think that so many people in the USA are idiots for being afraid of him being a ruler/teacher? Oh, and what about the rest of the world? Open your eyes. We are all in fear.

The world can't ALL be wrong, (ALL your so-called idiots?), who fear this man who is leader of the most powerful country in the world.
If you have a class that is half full of content children and half full of unruly children who all seem to belong to the same cult then maybe you don't blame the teacher you blame the cult those unruly children belong to. Especially if that cult is preaching that the teacher is going to destroy the world and that nobody should be willing to accept the fact that the teacher was hired for the job in the first place.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:44 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good topic, even if it is more political than is usual in a Psychology forum. Ever since the election I have been struggling with depression and a bad case of Trump anxiety. Some nights I lie awake in bed worrying about the impact his administration will have on America's relations with other world powers. Trump's arrogant attitude is the hallmark of a narcissist, and his bullying threats are going to **** off countries that are already inclined to hate Americans. The result is that there is a very real possibility that, instead of Trump protecting us from our enemies, we'll be even more vulnerable to attack. I'm scared to death. The only thing that comforts me is knowing that there's going to be another election in four years.
Yeah, but four years is a LONG time and lots of damage could be done in that time.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:17 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
It's not Trump making you feel anxious, it's the media.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Here is a prime example of why you people are losing your freaking minds. Melodrama played out to the point where the gloom and doom saturates your very souls.. "The fuhrer?" "Totalitarian state?"

I'm willing to bet there are shrinks in all 50 states who are laughing all the way to the bank over this. Probably salivating over the 2020 election already so you can buy them a beach house AND a boat.
Lol the curiosity was killing me, so I looked it up..

Trump

Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
Do what I do and just avoid the news and avoid political discussions for the next 4 years and pray that we don't get dragged into WW3.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I guess that is part of the problem. I'm an atheist and I really don't believe in any higher power.
If I may offer a suggestion, do with it as you wish....but, regardless of your religious belief, there is good and Bad in everything....

there is good Karma and bad Karma....

even a battery has + (Good) and - (Bad) or negative....

There is good and bad in a human, nothing is all good or all bad, so...maybe that will help?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
People who legitimately stand to lose major things like health care coverage or educational access will understandably feel anxiety if those things become real threats. Anxiety coping strategies are largely centered in focusing on the things you can effect, versus those where you have no control, so that can create a problem.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good topic, even if it is more political than is usual in a Psychology forum. Ever since the election I have been struggling with depression and a bad case of Trump anxiety. Some nights I lie awake in bed worrying about the impact his administration will have on America's relations with other world powers. Trump's arrogant attitude is the hallmark of a narcissist, and his bullying threats are going to **** off countries that are already inclined to hate Americans. The result is that there is a very real possibility that, instead of Trump protecting us from our enemies, we'll be even more vulnerable to attack. I'm scared to death. The only thing that comforts me is knowing that there's going to be another election in four years.
His tweeting and words bother me....however, I have this to fall back on....
I had a boss just like Trump....he loved to brag and everything he bought something, it had to be the very best model...if he bought a vacation home, it was the best one there...and he even made those kind of comments....he is so much like Trump....however, he did have a good heart...but he loved gossip, drove me nuts...even had to take medication, it was a suppliment, that calming....but again, he was good to his employees, but he filtered nothing, and everything he did, he created, he made, and so forth....

Obama also was a spoiled brat...and believe me, I voted for him in his first term, but he was a charasmatic speaker, and had very good control over his words. But there were world leaders that did hate him, they didn't get along...b/c Obama was so stubborn, and I'm certain, there have been other leaders just as bad, but the media if democratic, protected them and didn't print or publish everything they said and did.

So, yes, Trump is clumsy with his words, but he is forgiving, while others are not...and he has done a lot of good things already for this country....I even know people that voted for Hillary that said he has surprised them in a good way.

But I don't believe we'll be even more vulnerable to attack..what I do think is that Obama appeased terrorist nations...Trump is not going to do that, and he shouldn't....somewhere along the line, someone had to come along and straighten this mess out...

so, try and calm down, and think good thoughts, whenever you think bad might happen, just enjoy your life, and let the rest fall where it may....and look for the good, don't allow the bad to jump out and grab you to the point of worry...it is fear that will escalate issues in your mind.

I'm one to talk....lol

I hope some how, these words have helped....

Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Do what I do and just avoid the news and avoid political discussions for the next 4 years and pray that we don't get dragged into WW3.
But for me, avoiding the news and discussions of current events would be burying my head in the sand. I want to know what's going on, so that I can use my power as a citizen to affect change. The next presidential election is in four years, sure, but there are state and local and midterm elections before that, every year. If those of us with real concerns about this administration work together, there can be a real grassroots effort to move forward so that we don't feel like this country that we live in and love is a scary place.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-03-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
gunslinger, I think that your concerns are unfounded. To start out with the positive, and noting my professional engineering experience which increasingly exposed me to Asians working on H1b visas, I have made many Asian friends primarily Chinese and a few Japanese. We native Americans have an ideal we call the "Judeo-Christian work ethic" but many times in the last decade I have noted that the Asians I've known and been friends with have that same work ethic, the same culture except maybe a different native language (not important) and I hope some day the common term becomes "Judeo-Christain-Asian work ethic." We three cultures share the beliefs of strong family ties, getting a good education, working hard and thinking smart to earn good lives.

I've visited the remains of Manzanar (the Japanese internment camp in California) and I am shamed that probably 99% of the Japanese interned there were loyal US citizens, and it makes it even worse what they lost and were probably never reimbursed for, and the worst of all the trust they lost in America. We were at war with Japan then. We were stupid. We were blinded by our prejudice. We were blinded by a culture foreign to us then. I believe that the situation changed America, in a good way, recognizing that those who suffered probably won't see it that way. If I were Japanese I would probably have problems just letting it go. (Noting this was all before my birth.)

We are probably headed by some sort of trade negotiation or trade war but we are not headed towards a military war.

Meanwhile all I can give you is my sincere love of Asian culture and peoples and cuisine including Japanese, Chinese and Thai. I consider myself fortunate that I live in a city (Los Angeles) with a very high population of Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai immigrants, and the strong cultural values they bring to our cultural melting pot.

I hope that my comments have made you realize that you are not very different than mainstream Americans. Don't worry. Any conflict we face with China will be only economic. You will be affected no more than any other Americans.

By the way, all that is left of Manzanar today is just sand blowing in the wind. Even since my first visit about 50 years ago the remains have deteriorated that if they removed the memorial and highway marker the only way you'd ever find it is via GPS coordinates. The few structures remaining look like reconstructions to me. I'd sooner see this site return to nature than memorialized.
Those are beautiful words, and I hope the poster to whom you were responding takes comfort in them. I feel the same way. Though I very highly doubt that Asian people would be hauled off to internment camps again, I can at least understand why a Chinese-American poster could feel that it might possibly be a possibility, if indeed we ever got into a war with China (which I very highly doubt we ever would). If this ever did happen, I would do my utmost to protect my Asian friends from being hauled off, up to and including sheltering them in my own house. And if I couldn't prevent them from being taken away, I would buy their property, put it in my name, and take care of it while they were gone, then return it to them intact when they came back. I would be willing to bet that lots of other people would do the same.

My only point of disagreement with your post concerns Manzanar. I would like to see a lot of the camp reconstructed to look the way it did back then and made into a museum. Those who don't know their history, and all . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies