U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 AM
 
18,083 posts, read 10,276,702 times
Reputation: 13206

Advertisements

If he were wise, Trump would avoid all state visits where he would undoubtedly be seen as bordering the illiterate by all who would observe him. The man has a problem that's only going to be more apparent with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM
 
28,985 posts, read 15,261,989 times
Reputation: 19774
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
That doesn't mean he's welcome by the majority of the people in the U.K., does it? I mean, he didn't win by the majority of the people in this country, so why would it be any different overseas?
Nobody has ever won from a majority of the people in this country.

You might want to learn just a little history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Steeler Nation
6,868 posts, read 3,926,508 times
Reputation: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"I would not wish to issue an invitation to President Trump to speak in the Royal Gallery,” Speaker John Bercow said. While British lawmakers value their country’s relationship with the United States, he said, “I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.”

Donald Trump Is Not Welcome To Address Parliament, U.K. Speaker Declares | The Huffington Post

His remarks were met with applause from other members of Parliament.

It says a lot when our closest ally wants our president to stay away. I don't think that's ever happened before. And to rub salt in the wound, President Obama did address the full Parliament, at their invitation. As did President Clinton. Ouch.
Yep, they're another group that doesn't want to hear the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM
 
Location: England
24,594 posts, read 6,109,685 times
Reputation: 30318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

There was a lot of "hyperbole" spread around about how immigrants were taking their jobs and so forth.
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/sta...ion-statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM
 
37,773 posts, read 14,669,744 times
Reputation: 24073
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It looks like immigration and emigration both went up over the years with the net migration remaining about the same.

What else are you seeing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
 
Location: England
24,594 posts, read 6,109,685 times
Reputation: 30318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It looks like immigration and emigration both went up over the years with the net migration remaining about the same.

What else are you seeing here?
Are you looking at the same thing I am? The population is growing at an alarming rate.......


https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-migration-ons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:53 AM
 
37,773 posts, read 14,669,744 times
Reputation: 24073
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Are you looking at the same thing I am? The population is growing at an alarming rate.......


https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-migration-ons
Look at the graph near the bottom of the first link you posted.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/sta...ion-statistics

It shows net migration as about the same over the years. This is information from the Office of National Statistics,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: England
24,594 posts, read 6,109,685 times
Reputation: 30318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Look at the graph near the bottom of the first link you posted.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/sta...ion-statistics

It shows net migration as about the same over the years. This is information from the Office of National Statistics,
I have no idea what the third graph means in terms of numbers. The first two graphs show massive immigration. The figures of net immigration grow each year. Are you saying the figures balance out immigration and emigration? That's ludicrous. The population is growing rapidly. What are you saying? This is caused by the people breeding like rabbits?


https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-in-25-years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,573 posts, read 33,555,214 times
Reputation: 51668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
"I would not wish to issue an invitation to President Trump to speak in the Royal Gallery,” Speaker John Bercow said. While British lawmakers value their country’s relationship with the United States, he said, “I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.”

Donald Trump Is Not Welcome To Address Parliament, U.K. Speaker Declares | The Huffington Post

His remarks were met with applause from other members of Parliament.

It says a lot when our closest ally wants our president to stay away. I don't think that's ever happened before. And to rub salt in the wound, President Obama did address the full Parliament, at their invitation. As did President Clinton. Ouch.
Is their Speaker anything like our Speaker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,551 posts, read 909,299 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yep, they're another group that doesn't want to hear the truth.
If Donnie were capable of telling the truth you might have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top