Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Showing affect to cultural appropriation projects weakness. Polish jokes hung around for so long because they worked. Simple ignore the offense and it will go away.
What about "blonde" jokes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
A large part of Europe would be hunter-gatherers if they didn't copy farming from the middle-eastern immigrants.
OMG. this is a joke, right?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
what theme is strictly Americana? Picnic with hot dogs- apple pie - oh sorry that pie- French- the hotdogs are German- ok lets go to Thanksgiving- and 4th of July--think that's ours?? oh no fireworks that's Chinese--
what a bunch boring people, who do not want to share in cultural festivities- this is why this whole conversation is silly- we are the greatest melting pot of all POTS

Old 02-07-2017, 10:23 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Are any Mexicans invited? If Mexican culture is so fun what's up with building a wall? Yes it is insensitive to reduce a culture with 1000's of years of history down to wearing a funny hat and getting drunk. White people get pretty offended when some one suggest they are all seen as descendents of Slave holders.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:25 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what theme is strictly Americana? Picnic with hot dogs- apple pie - oh sorry that pie- French- the hotdogs are German- ok lets go to Thanksgiving- and 4th of July--think that's ours?? oh no fireworks that's Chinese--
what a bunch boring people, who do not want to share in cultural festivities- this is why this whole conversation is silly- we are the greatest melting pot of all POTS
exactly. our culture is an amalgam of them all. that's what made america great - we were a nation of immigrants who came here to be "american" but also brought the best pieces of their own culture.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think no one under 30 ever thinks it's an issue, but for some reason the kiddos have been infected. Probably Buzzfeed's fault, and all the various cultural studies, i.e., victimology, classes.

They're teaching the kids to look for offense in everything, and it's not good for their psyches or the world. Bunch of wusses.
This is how I feel.

10 years ago when I was 20, nobody was really bothered by this cultural appropriation thing.

Now, I know people who won't celebrate Cinco De Mayo or won't dress up for Halloween anymore because...it's not PC.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
I can see why blacks get upset if a white actor gets a role to play a black person. That happened, almost, in a movie about Michael Jackson. Or if an actor dons black-face.

If that's cultural appropriation, I can see where it might be considered offensive.

If it's cooking historically black or Mexican dishes, or white bands playing the Samba or R&B, I think that's harmless or even a tribute to the cultures that produced them.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I can see why blacks get upset if a white actor gets a role to play a black person. That happened, almost, in a movie about Michael Jackson. Or if an actor dons black-face.

If that's cultural appropriation, I can see where it might be considered offensive.

If it's cooking historically black or Mexican dishes, or white bands playing the Samba or R&B, I think that's harmless or even a tribute to the cultures that produced them.
Have you ever watched old westerns where white people play the Indians?
In Shakespeare's day boys had to play female roles.
Why is it offensive for a white person to play a black person or a black person to play a white persons?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you ever watched old westerns where white people play the Indians?
In Shakespeare's day boys had to play female roles.
Why is it offensive for a white person to play a black person or a black person to play a white persons?

IMO on the bold, it is not "offensive" just because a white person "plays" a black person. It only becomes offensive if they are portraying the black person as a negative stereotype, something which has an historic connotation in this country and which has caused an unmeasurable amount of discrimination to be directed toward black Americans.

I'll note though, what I stated earlier is correct. Everyone "appropriates" culture. IMO black Americans wearing African garbs is an appropriation of culture, but yet they do it and hardly anyone says anything. As Americans, contrary to what many loonies think, black people are culturally American. So wearing African garments and jewelry is "cultural appropriation." That sort of appropriation is similar to what many are speaking of on the thread, dressing in a certain way.

This only goes into what many feel is racist behavior when the person dressing up takes a drastic, stereotypical view of the person/people they are imitating and they exaggerate their behavior/speech in order to fit some ridiculous, prejudicial image. I also believe this is the case for a black person to "play" a white person and exaggerate the negatives that blacks see of whites in America (there are many of them BTW). I can see how the average white person can be offended by such caricatures.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
For example, do you find it inherently wrong/racist to have say, a Mexican themed party with sombreros, tequila, putting on a fake mustache. Or other examples where a party could have a theme of some other cultures.
Sounds like fun. Why would you think otherwise. Haven't you heard of a Mexican restaurant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies