Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Right now, for a few years, I'm willing to see what someone with different ideas can offer. Nothing is forever.
I have a grandson starting kindergarten in September, we can't sit back and see what her ideas offer...she's already made her agenda quite clear, here is what she said:

"It goes back to what I mentioned, the concept of really being active in the Shephelah of our culture — to impact our culture in ways that are not the traditional funding-the-Christian-organization route, but that really may have greater Kingdom gain in the long run by changing the way we approach things — in this case, the system of education in the country," she added later. Trump education pick once touted school reform to 'advance God's Kingdom' | TheHill

I am just appalled that this woman was given control of our schools when she has admitted that her goal is to convert our public school system into some bizarre mish mash of for profit private and charter schools so that she can proselytize her own peculiar brand of Calvinism

Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
But just like I can call the right on bull-ish, I can call the left on it's bull-ish, too......
(I'll only speak for New York, which I'm a product)
The city of New York. THE model for social liberalism. However, it's school system is among THE most segregated in America! The hypocrisy is so obvious!
Bull-ish on both sides!
That's because New York like most large cities are gentrified, the poor live in isolated pockets and the rich live around other rich people. The poor in urban areas are almost always brown or black. But "school choice" doesn't solve the problem because if you are poor and get your kid a spot in a good school you still have to transport them there, and that's not easy to do..how many poor parents can get their kids across a large city to attend a school out of their neighborhood?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's because New York like most large cities are gentrified, the poor live in isolated pockets and the rich live around other rich people. The poor in urban areas are almost always brown or black. But "school choice" doesn't solve the problem because if you are poor and get your kid a spot in a good school you still have to transport them there, and that's not easy to do..how many poor parents can get their kids across a large city to attend a school out of their neighborhood?
Yep. That's big cities for you. Where I live (a suburb of a smaller city) we have a countywide school system and we bus kids for socioeconomic diversity. We don't achieve perfect diversity by any means, but it's generally better than no diversity at all.

Funny enough, the mid-Atlantic is more diverse than the Northeast.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yep. That's big cities for you. Where I live (a suburb of a smaller city) we have a countywide school system and we bus kids for socioeconomic diversity. We don't achieve perfect diversity by any means, but it's generally better than no diversity at all.
Funny enough, the mid-Atlantic is more diverse than the Northeast.
I've often thought that busing might be the only solution to fixing our low performing schools, I'm glad it's at least somewhat successful in your area. We don't even have school buses here except for disabled kids and the school boundaries are bizarre, I swear they look like they are gerrymandered to keep the poor kids out of the better schools, some kids are two miles away from their school even though they have another elementary school within a few blocks of their home.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've often thought that busing might be the only solution to fixing our low performing schools, I'm glad it's at least somewhat successful in your area. We don't even have school buses here except for disabled kids and the school boundaries are bizarre, I swear they look like they are gerrymandered to keep the poor kids out of the better schools, some kids are two miles away from their school even though they have another elementary school within a few blocks of their home.
They probably are gerrymandered. Our school board got into it several years ago when some members tried to do something similar. Funny part is that they were from the NY/NJ areas.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
For years, conservatives have argued for the abolishment of the Department of Education. Why are they now championing this poorly qualified woman to be the head of the organization?

I would like to see an end to the Department of Education, but since that seems unlikely to occur, we can only hope Betsy DeVos does somehow instill some much-needed changes. Most Americans want more choices in education - even most Democrats, according to polls.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
For years, conservatives have argued for the abolishment of the Department of Education. Why are they now championing this poorly qualified woman to be the head of the organization?

I would like to see an end to the Department of Education, but since that seems unlikely to occur, we can only hope Betsy DeVos does somehow instill some much-needed changes. Most Americans want more choices in education - even most Democrats, according to polls.
If you're going to have a Dept. of Education at the federal level, at least get someone that might do some good like Mrs. Devos. Great decision.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
She bought herself a cabinet position with all her donations to Republican candidates, including Senators who confirmed her nomination. If that isn't "the swamp", I don't know what is.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:07 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Okay so I know nothing about this woman's agenda for education except that all the talk about God in schools disgusts me.
But as a family with young kids I'm slightly terrified - we have settled and bought a home just a few years ago, in a middle-upper class neighborhood in a city known for its excellent, well funded public schools and were very pleased that it's going to be a smooth ride from here on in that sense. In fact the schools are so good here most people don't bother with private, and the demographic makeup and test scores are pretty much similar in both public and the local private schools. All professional, highly educated, very involved families. My oldest is only in first grade, the youngest still a baby.

Can someone who knows please lay it out for me: what exactly could happen now to a family like ourselves with this woman in charge? How would it affect the schools? How much power does she have, versus decisions made at the local level? I apologize as I'm fairly ignorant about how the funding and governing work. It'd just be worst nightmare that our great local schools would plummet terribly and lose a lot of funding...or would it not really be that dramatic?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay so I know nothing about this woman's agenda for education except that all the talk about God in schools disgusts me.
But as a family with young kids I'm slightly terrified - we have settled and bought a home just a few years ago, in a middle-upper class neighborhood in a city known for its excellent, well funded public schools and were very pleased that it's going to be a smooth ride from here on in that sense. In fact the schools are so good here most people don't bother with private, and the demographic makeup and test scores are pretty much similar in both public and the local private schools. All professional, highly educated, very involved families. My oldest is only in first grade, the youngest still a baby.

Can someone who knows please lay it out for me: what exactly could happen now to a family like ourselves with this woman in charge? How would it affect the schools? How much power does she have, versus decisions made at the local level? I apologize as I'm fairly ignorant about how the funding and governing work. It'd just be worst nightmare that our great local schools would plummet terribly and lose a lot of funding...or would it not really be that dramatic?
She will have no effect on your kids schools. If your kids were in terrible public schools, there might be better programs offered to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies