Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Will The Appeals Court Do?
Votes to Reinstate the Executive Order 37 29.84%
Votes to Continue the Stay by the Seattle Court 77 62.10%
Votes to Restrict New Visitors Only 7 5.65%
Votes to Send the Stay Back to Seattle 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM

720 posts, read 503,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, cause one is a law passed by congress and other a decree from the POTUS desk which 10 minutes was spent on?

Does that make some sense or do you prefer decrees by dictators over legislation?
It's an Executive Order -- Obama signed tons of them -- not a royal decree from His Highness. It doesn't matter that Obamacare is a law. The point still stands: politicians get to "sell" policy however they want; it's what the policy does that matters. At least that's how it worked under Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Ah, and you've got it. You're right. It's about what the actual legal documents say and what is argued in court. That is all. So again, the 9th doing what the 9th does and going well outside the scope both of what they're being asked to decide and putting their own political opinions before the law.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,460,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I am glad to see even some legal web site and good ben shapiro article are noting how terrible this ruling is. The "nutty ninth", the "ninth circus" may have just sealed its fate
All in all, the decision is damningly silly.
In my opinion, thinking that an opinion written by Ben Shapiro is even worth reading is pretty darned silly

Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 PM

113 posts, read 57,188 times
This situation has presented itself under other presidents...Obama placed a short term ban on exactly the same countries during his tenure. So, hasn't this previous ban by President Obama already set a "precedent " for President Trump to do the same thing? The Muslim issue the MSM keeps pushing? There are over 40 more nations that are majority Muslim and are not listed.

It is time that "anyone"coming into the US be well vetted.For the safety of the citizens as well as the safety of those coming into the country. We, as expats, have been "heavily vetted" when residing in other countries. I have applied for future citizenship to a country were medical professionals of my type are needed.....I have never so much as had a traffic ticket in my life, but am currently going thru what would be considered "extreme vetting " by US standards.....and I have no problems with it.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,057,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeinblack View Post
This situation has presented itself under other presidents...Obama placed a short term ban on exactly the same countries during his tenure. So, hasn't this previous ban by President Obama already set a "precedent " for President Trump to do the same thing? The Muslim issue the MSM keeps pushing? There are over 40 more nations that are majority Muslim and are not listed.

It is time that "anyone"coming into the US be well vetted.For the safety of the citizens as well as the safety of those coming into the country. We, as expats, have been "heavily vetted" when residing in other countries. I have applied for future citizenship to a country were medical professionals of my type are needed.....I have never so much as had a traffic ticket in my life, but am currently going thru what would be considered "extreme vetting " by US standards.....and I have no problems with it.
Yep, my daughter is living in France right now. Extreme vetting is an understatement for what she had to do. And frankly, France is supposedly quite easy for obtaining a visa but I don't blame them in the least.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,232,788 times
"The States argue that the Executive Order causes a concrete and particularized to their public universities,...."

You've got to be kidding me.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:20 PM

16,777 posts, read 8,257,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeinblack View Post

No Pres. Obama did not do that. This thing belongs to the current POTUS and his staff.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If Trump thinks there is a serious and imminent threat to national security, then he needs to stop the stupid tweeting and talking smack about judges and focus on coming up with an EO that is legal, includes the various departments involved, and will increase not decrease national security.

Anything else is just Trump and Bannon strutting around.
Yes. The problem here is that Trump banned employees of influential tech companies, university professors, researchers and students. He cast his net too wide. He should have written a more precisely tuned EO.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,763,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
So you dug around til you found a 2015 article about an under-reported incident of domestic terrorism where no one was killed. Not to mention that it occurred at the same time as the Charlie Hebdo attack. Not exactly what you were claiming, is it?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,495,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I have a feeling the Ninth Circuit will be a thorn in Bannon's side for the next four years, and it's a feeling makes me warm and fuzzy inside.
Sorry to inform you of a potential change in your "Warm and fuzzy" paradise:

Why does the GOP want Arizona out of the California-based 9th Circuit? Politics.

"The Biggs bill would move Arizona, Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Nevada into a 12th Circuit. It would leave the 9th Circuit with California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands. Arizona has been part of the 9th Circuit since 1912. Flake and McCain would put Washington in the 12th Circuit."

Actually, not sorry.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:29 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,154,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
so let's not get petty here/the "he's wasting time!" false outrage. Save that for the "outraged" snowflakes set.
Personally, I don't mind the tweets, the ensuing explosion of Liberal minds I find quite humorous. But the reason I wish he would stop tweeting is two fold. The man could literally cure HIV and the looney Left would accuse him of hurting the Grim Reaper's Job, so perhaps a silent war on the left, keeping them in the dark would be most effective. Because 1/2 of them would go off the deep end now, and we'd easily lose the other 1/2 when the news came out that he'd done what he set out to do and they missed the whole thing.... LOL Sometimes it's best to keep your enemy in the dark and then attack, no sense giving them time to gather intel or the ability to fight back.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies