Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

I just googled the readership of NY Times and yes - they have increased digital subscriptions - why - because Trump got elected. People would be using it to wipe their ar*e if it wasn't that the liberals are flocking to it, like those on the board, to get any little tidbit of fake news on Trump.

This is not just a US problem - newspapers around the world are languishing because of the internet and the ability to actually use your mind by reading multiple sources for free and then deciding for yourself how much of each is truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that it's painfully obvious to anyone with any reading comprehension, reasoning ability and enough curiosity to do his/her own research (not just reading incoming email from Media Matters and other left wing slop), that these bastions of so-called journalism are full of inaccurate, misleading half-truths, speculations and downright fabrications passed off as fact, ie, "fake news".

No one needs Trump to point that out, it's obvious.

And just WHERE are you doing this research and HOW are you verifying the veracity of your sources?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
The LA Times currently has article after article about how Trump is going to deport immigrants. They never never say he is going to deport Criminal Illegals.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
It's too bad the newspaper talking heads are often the same "plastic"/fake bought-off leftist-leaning types you see on TV

Like FOX News?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why anybody expects the news to be unbiased is beyond me. It is just more empty bitching about nothing.

The DallasMorning News had a good commentary by Mike Wilson about what those enemies of the people really do.

Good description of Trump's crybaby whining!

Old 02-18-2017, 04:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just WHERE are you doing this research and HOW are you verifying the veracity of your sources?
I'd like to know the answer to this question, too.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'd like to know the answer to this question, too.
I've asked several times, so far no answers.

I'm thinking maybe the Magic 8 Ball with tea leaves being a close second..

Old 02-18-2017, 04:52 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Or so they claim. Makes me wonder, though, why when I, as a reader who does not subscribe to the NYT, click on a link at a website to an NYT article, get a popup ad telling me that they need my help, and offering me an online subscription at 40% off.

But I can't say I'm surprised at the report of all the lefty Trump haters flocking to the NYT trough, to consume the latest and greatest anti-Trump garbage put out by this (LOL) bastion of "great journalism". Guess the excitement takes their minds off the sourness of those grapes.
SO now we are reduced to discrediting a newspaper because of marketing, come on.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM

421 posts, read 205,048 times
Quote:
Like FOX News?
Disagree. I would say FOX news also falls under the same fake news "umbrella" as CNN, etc. If they are from the "mainstream", they are automatically suspect and *not* to be trusted imo

The bottom line is if you value your brain-cells and your mental health/sanity you should STAY AWAY from leftist echo-chamber outlets like CNN and the "mainstream media"

Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
I've asked several times, so far no answers.

I'm thinking maybe the Magic 8 Ball with tea leaves being a close second..
LOL, some of us have lives outside the Trump-bashing threads on the CD forum.

But to answer your question, when I research a topic online, I try to read what I can about it from as many sources as possible, including both liberal and conservative sites, I read them carefully so as to understand the message they're trying to bring to their readers, what's emphasized and what's left out (as best as I can tell) in the report. Depending on the topic, I may go from there to available original sources, these can include transcripts of programs, copies of bills passed in Congress (or State Legislatures,), court documents, old local newspaper articles (the internet Wayback Machine is great for that), articles from professional journals. I do my best to find sources that aren't mired in the controversies surrounding the topic (s), and that don't have any axe to grind one way or the other, that just provide whatever information is available to them. It's not always possible, and I find I just plain have to reserve judgement when I can't find substantiated facts, it's a matter of pride to me not to just accept someone else's opinion of a topic because as a conservative/independent/moderate/liberal that's what I'm expected to do, and I will be damned if I buy into the propaganda rampant in too many sources for the same reason.

Asked, answered.

Last edited by Travelassie; 02-18-2017 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies