Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,200,981 times

Advertisements

The issue is language and it's use as propaganda.

Trump repeats phrases for this purpose. The NYT and many other papers do the same however, they are more discreet using phrases and the continual slant to create a false impression in the minds of their readers. Both efforts are deceptive but Trump's is less intentional than it is self aggrandizement. The Times uses it intentionally to lead the reader away from the whole report shaving biases, using words engendered to give meaning.

Many people do this every day. We hold the Times to a different standard, as, in my mind at least...we should. Not like sales or persuasion, the times used to confine it's viewpoint to the editorial page.The reality that the leadership has caved to the "norm" is surprising. But their goal, is two fold. To create a political force and to sell papers. The more the better in both cases for their bank accounts.vIt's not benign and it is very dangerous.

When I interviewed a woman who lived in Germany all her life and became a survivor of the German camps, when asked she told me that what led to the nazis was "herd mentality".

Keep your powder dry folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 AM

20,003 posts, read 22,957,472 times
The papers and publications I subscribe to are for the large part factually accurate in their reporting. Certainly for the data that I require. There may be some issues on occasions with sources not being vetted, but that's not the norm.

What is amazing is that some people ignore reporting, which is mainly factual, and pay more attention to opinion. Generally opinion feeds the users pre-set bubble reality they choose to live in, whether the opinion is fact based or not is irrelevant.

Listening to Hannity, or the View, or Bill Maher is like willingly subscribing to a journal or paper that consists entirely of Op-Ed, which in my opinion is a pretty retarded way of processing news. And I mean retarded in the sense it slows down or hinders processing facts.

I don't form my opinion based on someone else's opinion. I try to read facts first, then listen to opines, however it is increasingly difficult to do that with regards to anything political.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,200,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No ,that's what you claim and you're wrong about it.
Nope. He's not.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 AM

18,320 posts, read 10,782,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The issue is language and it's use as propaganda.

Trump repeats phrases for this purpose.

Because the more he repeats the lie the more Trumpettes believe the lie.Dictators do it to brainwash there servants ,to control them.Trump is so stupid he thinks it works.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 AM

79,148 posts, read 61,269,444 times
What is funny is that the same people that have (rightfully) complained about FOX News having a bias can't seem to wrap their brains around the fact that other news sources could possibly be biased the other direction.

In fact, most of the news outlets are fighting for their financial lives and with FOX having a lock on the cons....they're trying to attract readers\viewers by taking a left turn to attrack libs.

Most notable is of course, CNN who I've watched\read for decades. Especially their editorials about Trump which frankly were what I'd expect to read on the Daily Kos.

Is it all garbage and lies? No. But it's worse than the left thinks but not as bad as the Trump loyalists claim.

When you look around and only see biases AGAINST your viewpoints\politics and can't see where "your side" is doing some of the same then you've gone over the edge of rationality.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Nope. He's not.
He's not what?

Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 AM

79,148 posts, read 61,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Because the more he repeats the lie the more Trumpettes believe the lie.Dictators do it to brainwash there servants ,to control them.Trump is so stupid he thinks it works.
Referring a rightfully elected president as a "dictator" isn't making you look smart or honest while trying to call other people liars.

Frankly, you're carrying water for posters like the OP.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Referring a rightfully elected president as a "dictator" isn't making you look smart or honest while trying to call other people liars.

Frankly, you're carrying water for posters like the OP.

Then Trump should stop acting like a dictator and while I thank you for your concern you might want to worry about the quality of you own posting.Thanks.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 AM

33,638 posts, read 37,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
She believes every word of it. That's the scary part, how easy it is to lie to people. Trump's lies are not even believable yet his followers believe every word.
Trump reminds me of someone in regards to lies....

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth..... Adolf Hitler

Great liars are also great magicians....... Adolf Hitler

It is not truth that matters, but victory..... Adolf Hitler

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.....Adolf Hitler

Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,801,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
They don't intentionally "lie". At least not the major newspapers. But they do intentionally leave out facts and only show one side of the issue. They shouldn't be trying to steer the reader in a particular direction. That is not journalism. They are supposed to report the facts. ALL the facts.
But it is not practical or even possible to report all the facts. Each newspaper would be as thick as a telephone book. All media does editorializing to reduce in order to fit the news into one reasonable sized news paper (or web page). So if all media is editing, by your logic, they are all guilty of giving us a biased view. It is impossible to escape this situation. It happens at Fox, it happens at CNN, all of them.

And this problem is not just restricted to newspapers and other media - they get their information from other sources, like police departments for crimes, for instance. You are relying on the integrity of the police to be telling you all the facts. Are they editing some of the facts out? Probably. It is no different than a news room editor who edits his articles.

At some point you have to trust our basic institutions. I tend to trust the NYT. I trust to some extent Fox. But I stay from editorials and opinion pieces and talk shows on CNN, Fox, all of them. That is pure opinion and not fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies