Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:06 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,450,473 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about immigration and terrorism, one can almost forget about life that is effecting you in the hear and now. As a black man in the US, I've recently come across a number that has woken me up to a nightmare. Currently in the US, there are almost 900,000 black people in jail or in prison. Does everyone hear me on that? That is 900,000 folks! At the height of slavery, four million black people were in chains. Now we are almost a fourth of that number in today's society. The sad thing is, almost no one cares about that. For a lot of you, this will probably be the first time you are made aware of the number, but I wonder how many of you will care afterwards?

Let's be serious about this, are we really to believe most of that ridiculous number are hardened, murderous people? That all 900,000 or more black (that's one group alone folks) deserved to be locked away? As much as a lot of you want to move on from our history of racism against black people, this number is solid proof the country is still racist toward black people. Let me put this in perspective for you. India has a total population of over 1.2 billion people. Let me say this again for those who are already turning me off at my statement this country is still racist toward black folk, India has a total population of 1.2 BILLION people. Within the entire country of over 1 billion people, the total number of people incarcerated in the whole country, is 332,112. That's it! Out of over a billion people, only a little over three hundred thousand people are locked away. Yet someway, somehow, the US found over 900,000 BLACK folks to lock away out of only 40 million. Are you freaking kidding me? Not only this, but black prisoners in this country alone, outnumber every nation's prison population in the world except for China.

Now, some may say to me there are also a lot of white people in prison, and they to outnumber most nations prison populations. That is a problem in general concerning our prison system, but we are looking at over 700,000 white people locked away out of over 190 million. How is it possible for 900,000 black people to be locked up out of 40 million plus at best? The prison population in black males alone is more than dag near all nations total prison populations, which stands at over 800,000. Only China and Russia have more people in their prisons, than there are black male prisoners here in the US. Do you see the insanity in these numbers?

The crap doesn't end here I'm afraid. We are well on our way in seeing the black prison population storm pass one million in the coming years. Especially with laws in Louisana that states resisting arrest is a hate crime that can land you in prison for 10 years. How many officers claim black people are resisting arrest? There are also laws in Missouri that state if a child, no matter their age, fights in school and the other is injured, they could be charged with a felony that carries a maximum of 4 years in jail. These aren't hypothetical laws, they are actually on the books and we know who they are targeting. Black people of course! Who knows how many black people will be in prison 20 years from now, 40 years. At some point the number could approach 2 million.

So what does everyone say on this subject? I got to be honest, I wasn't thinking about doing this topic because I believe I already know most will either be apathetic or contentious at my racism claim. Yet if I don't do the topic, I can't say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM

27,654 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Just think how many are not in prison that should be there. Lots of unsolved murders in the hood.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
If you do the crime then you will do the time.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
The people that commit the crimes are the people that get arrested and serve time.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
I applaud your post...posting something like this here on C-D is like chumming sharks..all the crypto-racists will be foaming at the mouths. They will say that since Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime..they occupy a larger percentage of prison beds. This ignores the larger underlying social issues--of course, racism has always been America's dirty little secret--although in today's political climate, many no longer feel they have to dissemble about their beliefs.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 PM

863 posts, read 1,197,021 times
Better yet, think about how many more will be added to prisons if Sessions has his way and federal marijuana laws are enforced against states who have already legalized it for medical or recreational uses.

For Trump and his cronies, arrests and prisoners = $, even if it is at the taxpayers expense.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I applaud your post...posting something like this here on C-D is like chumming sharks..all the crypto-racists will be foaming at the mouths. They will say that since Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime..they occupy a larger percentage of prison beds. This ignores the larger underlying social issues--of course, racism has always been America's dirty little secret--although in today's political climate, many no longer feel they have to dissemble about their beliefs.
Thanks for your comment. I would argue with them in black people committing more crime, they just get charged and sentenced the most. There are a lot of white people who either get slaps on the wrist, or have their charges dropped.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Don't commit criminal acts, you won't go to jail.

Otherwise the demographics don't bother me.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Better yet, think about how many more will be added to prisons if Sessions has his way and federal marijuana laws are enforced against states who have already legalized it for medical or recreational uses.

For Trump and his cronies, arrests and prisoners = $, even if it is at the taxpayers expense.
That's another reason why I expect the black prison population to boom in the coming years. It may have to reach 4 million blacks before someone notice. Four million of course being around the maximum number of slaves on the eve of the Civil War.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Don't commit criminal acts, you won't go to jail.

Otherwise the demographics don't bother me.
You have no conscious if it doesn't bother you. Are you telling me all 900,000 are criminals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies