Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I found this fascinating. I hope we can move to discussions instead of name calling. What I found most glaring, and have noticed this on the CD forum is that Trump supporters feel attacked, and have for a long time. In this new era the name calling and divisiveness is becoming the norm. I hope we can change that.

Sam Altman: Here's what I learned interviewing 100 Trump supporters - Business Insider
I think I might have been introduced to the author of this piece once. If it was him, I think he might be a big NAMBLA supporter.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Interest post, thanks veuvegirl I agree, it is fascinating.

Much of the name-calling is shared on both sides, reflective of the immaturity our nation has endorsed.

If you have a minute or two, read this article.
https://talesunscripted.wordpress.co...cieties/#_ftn4

Our nation is truly becoming a deeply divided society
example from the above article

The creation of political organizations formed along divisive lines is largely due to the influence of politicians and political aggressors who seek to inflame conflict for personal gain, or simply fail to manage conflict without entrenching the division between communities. Carment asserted that the state and the social realm are so intertwined “the state cannot claim that distributive problems are not political problems and must bear responsibility for these internal conflicts.”

It would seem too, that it remains far easier to blame someone for a problem than to do anything to actually fix it. I grew up in a household like that, with a parent who constantly complained and griped about everything and anything, but never ever once offered to help or to be part of the solution.

I see this throughout society , especially every time I hear some w\one say "Well the liberals always ..." or "The Republicans don't...."
That is generally where I stop listening.
One the other hand, if someone comes forward with an idea, a suggestion that solves a problem without resorting to name-calling and crying, then I am more attuned to listen

I understand, it is far easier to be a reactionary, to sit back and point out others faults, than to be an active coach, and help someone along the way. Many people it would seem are happiest when they wallow in their own misery, and really do not want anything better. I see this in my line of work all the time.
But for those of us who endeavor to always be a part of the solution, who want to help people and situations one at a time, then belly-aching and finger-pointing are just a waste of time. And I have work to do, no time to waste.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Also, I'm sure there's a lot of sentiments that are like this one brewing amongst Trump voters.

What do you think about the left's response so far?

"You need to give us an opportunity to admit we may have been wrong without saying we're bad people. I am already thinking I made a mistake, but I feel ostracized from my community."

Better late than never.
Someone steps up and says that out loud, I forgive them. Already have done so more than once, in fact. Pretty much the way if someone who was a thief takes responsibility for their actions and changes their ways.

But just because a few Trumplings see the light and publicly acknowledge the harm they've done to this country, I'm not going to stop calling the whole group morons, any more than I'm going to stop saying thieves are dishonest. If the snowflakes don't like it, I don't give a damn. That's their problem. You do something like that, you damned well should feel ashamed. Ask for forgiveness, I'll forgive you. Until then, you're a moron.

I mean, what are they going to do? Vote for him again just to get even? Even Trumplings aren't that.... mmm.... well.... OK, I probably need to consider that a little more.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Someone steps up and says that out loud, I forgive them. Already have done so more than once, in fact. Pretty much the way if someone who was a thief takes responsibility for their actions and changes their ways.

But just because a few Trumplings see the light and publicly acknowledge the harm they've done to this country, I'm not going to stop calling the whole group morons, any more than I'm going to stop saying thieves are dishonest. If the snowflakes don't like it, I don't give a damn. That's their problem. You do something like that, you damned well should feel ashamed. Ask for forgiveness, I'll forgive you. Until then, you're a moron.

I mean, what are they going to do? Vote for him again just to get even? Even Trumplings aren't that.... mmm.... well.... OK, I probably need to consider that a little more.
Lol. Good to see you thought that through. Lots of people voted for this guy if only to give the proverbial middle finger to the establishment. Of course they forgot we all have to live in this country together. People that feel backed into a corner do some crazy ****.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Sadly i rarely post on this site anymore. Too much hatred and i got sick of being name called. I will give this thread a chance though. (I voted for trump)

The real reasons hillary lost (trump didnt win)

For me i was a never hillary and never bush guy so whoever was against those two was getting my vote. Thank god it wasnt those 2 as choices. Yes if it was jeb vs bernie this conservative would have voted Bernie. I believe this belief was HUGE amongst Trump voters.

Blow it all up! We wanted someone to blow up how things are done in DC. Trump is the man for that.

Finally people dont like it when it's assumed someone will win before the vote is in. They will stay home as a protest or vote against just in spite.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
Sam Altman was a good friend of Peter Thiel. Sam Altman is a rabid leftist it seems (and of course Thiel supported Trump). I don't think he knows how to cope with that division even now.

Just a hunch but just as suddenly Van Jones put on a kinder, gentler persona recently, pretending to want to find out how and why Trump supporters tick, I suspect Altman is doing the same. I don't think either of these guys really want to know for any decent purpose (such as truly understanding why Trump won so they can figure out how to modify things on the Dem side for next time) .. I think they probably just want loads more ammo to hit us with or ways to attack Trump so they (think they will) can see us dance.

Wish I could be less skeptical but not all of us are idiots, nor do we live in fear, nor do we care any more what anyone calls us, nor do we have a vendetta against anyone with any other views, nor are we all gun-toting, bible-clinging haters. We just find it relatively easy to see through most of what the left does these days - they have been quite transparent but refuse to see that we have too I guess. There is just something there that doesn't quite connect it seems in their brains.

Some of us just thought through things and, for my part, I came to the conclusion that a) there was only candidate addressing issues at all b) there was only one candidate addressing issues that had concerned me for a long time c) (as I said I don't care about name calling but) people were constantly telling me or those like me that we were racist, homophobic, xenophobic, whatevers and that got rather tiresome, wasn't true, and I didn't feel like running to the other side when they did that. They still haven't learned that lesson but that is now their problem. When they speak up, almost every time I will give them the other side of the story - and perhaps if I am persistent, eventually they will get it - but I know they will never like it.

I think I am a very reasonable, pretty darned tolerant, fairly nice, polite person. I have written many fairly clear, not nasty, posts in this forum .. and if anyone had bothered to read them, they would have already figured out why I am a Trump supporter. A number of others have done that too .. but no one is really listening to us. /shrug

Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I actually gave this answer to a Republican awhile back who was carrying on about why Trump got the nomination. For years many of us have wanted our laws enforced and illegal immigrants arrested and deported. What Republican nominee had done anything to accomplish this? We do not want thousands of refugees pouring into our country ..... what Republican had done anything to stop it?

We got tired of do-nothing politicians. I said I'm going to give Trump a shot, because I have nothing to lose.
The problem here is twofold, #1 - illegal immigration has declined considerably over the past decade. The literal hordes walking across the desert is a thing of the past. And #2 - like it or not the American economy has a strong reliance on illegal immigrants. No American is going to do the jobs they do for $7.25 an hour.

Everyone - up to and including Jeb Bush - wants to protect our borders. What people do not want is mass Gestapo style roundups of anyone and everyone who looks Hispanic.

Quote:
"He is anti-immigration." Note: This sentiment came up a lot. The most surprising takeaway for me how little it seemed to be driven by economic concerns, and how much it was driven by fears about "losing our culture," "safety," "community," and a general Us-vs.-Them mentality.
Trump supporters wonder why they are called racists, well here's why. Because you are if these are the arguments your using, your making it obvious that the only reason you are so up in arms about illegal immigration is solely because most illegals happen to be Hispanic.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasb View Post
What got me is the obscene level of violence we saw from the left during this election cycle.

Then google and see what the right and the Tea Party did in 2008.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I found this fascinating. I hope we can move to discussions instead of name calling. What I found most glaring, and have noticed this on the CD forum is that Trump supporters feel attacked, and have for a long time. In this new era the name calling and divisiveness is becoming the norm. I hope we can change that.

Sam Altman: Here's what I learned interviewing 100 Trump supporters - Business Insider
Trump supporters feel attacked? So much irony in that statement.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Trump supporters feel attacked? So much irony in that statement.
They are the ultimate snowflakes as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies