Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 02:25 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The attitude is on purpose, it makes someone up to something feel more under pressure, and display signs of deception. A friendly attitude makes someone feel comfortable, which makes deception easier. Of course there is a line, but the attitude thing is on purpose.
Didn't draw any conclusions, just pointing out that this happened to non-citizens even before Obama, and even before 9/11. So pointing fingers at the current admin is probably a little misplaced.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:39 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:

“I am old and white, innocent and educated, and I speak English fluently,” she said. “Imagine what happened to the others in the room, including an old Iranian woman in her 80s, in a wheelchair.
So basically, she imagined that she was treated better than the others because she's white and educated. But she's just guessing. How did they know she is educated? Was that the first thing that came out of her mouth?

Why did she assume the Iranian woman is uneducated, or that she can't speak english?

The author sounds like a bigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 02:45 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
So basically, she imagined that she was treated better than the others because she's white and educated. But she's just guessing. How did they know she is educated? Was that the first thing that came out of her mouth?

Why did she assume the Iranian woman is uneducated, or that she can't speak english?

The author sounds like a bigot.
She was there with them for 2 hours. You weren't. Who should we be more inclined to believe?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
This would be the correct answer. If she's passed over solely because she's white, English speaking, educated and elderly, then that would be profiling.

Actually in my experience of entering the US as a non-citizen a lot of immigration guys have a seriously bad attitude, and my experience comes from 2009 and earlier since then I've always re-entered the US on my US passport. So the "turbocharged power" existed IMHO long before Trump.
She's visited the US, upwards of 100 times, and had never been treated like that. Its not difficult to see why the conclusion has been drawn that - with recent "bans" that this is a result.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
She's visited the US, upwards of 100 times, and had never been treated like that. Its not difficult to see why the conclusion has been drawn that - with recent "bans" that this is a result.
She'll get over it.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
She'll get over it.
I'm sure she will.

But will we?

Why in God's name would we ever condone our employees being rude and disrespectful?

Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
She'll get over it.
I am sure she will.

I'm more interested, why she was detained in the first place.
What a waste of your resources, questioning a 70 year old woman, travelling on an Australian passport, to the US for the 117th time.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
That is why I refuse to fly. I will not put up with being treated as though they KNOW I am a criminal, until I prove that I am not!
If I can't get there in a wheeled vehicle, I just ain't going, period!

Old 02-26-2017, 03:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I am sure she will.

I'm more interested, why she was detained in the first place.
What a waste of your resources, questioning a 70 year old woman, travelling on an Australian passport, to the US for the 117th time.
There was a visa error. She shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else trying to enter the country with an unacceptable visa.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There was a visa error. She shouldn't be treated any differently than anyone else trying to enter the country with an unacceptable visa.
No, there wasn't

"They accused me of coming in on the wrong visa and they were totally wrong about that."

Mem Fox, Australian author, gets apology after being wrongfully detained at LA airport - Donald Trump's America - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies