Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of people saying "we don't need" this or that. Technically you don't need anything in life except for food, water, and shelter.

I don't think someone needs a 650hp car if they are only driving it on public roads, but that's their business if they want to buy it.

I've passed a background check and fingerprints for my teaching certification (and have been deemed safe enough to teach children), my job, and concealed carry permits in two states. Why shouldn't I be able to own an AR-15 with standard capacity mags?

If we can't trust law abiding citizens with firearms, then they should be behind bars in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've put together many a 80%er and with the new j-i-g sets it really takes out all of the guesswork. I do like the no BGC fee baloney everyone has to go through with a FFL purchase The hardest part is those tiny springs and detents that have a habit of shooting off into space when you least expect it

I mean, I had to do a BGC a hunter safety course a hand gun class, a rifle exam why should I have to do a BCG for EVERY purchase including ammo now.
Slightly OT, but my bolt catch needed a screw instead of a roll pin, so there was a swear. Then the Match II I bought had oversized pins. Lots of swear!! Didn't have a 1/16" Allen wrench. Cuss, cuss, swear. Grip was almost a full 3/8" more narrow than the lower's ears. Swear, hair dryer, foaming salty-dog-sailor swear, lol. Last, but in no way least, the hole in the castle nut wrench was too big for the torque wrench. Yeah, a few more curses. The only thing that DIDN'T give me problems were springs and detents (with a 1/4" clevis pin).

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You need to hit up Firebird Precision out of NM, and get one of their semi auto mag fed 12 gauge builds. I think they've even built some for the DNR out in TX for hog eradication.

I cannot suppress/silence the muzzle on a 12 gauge and buckshot isn't going to reach out 100 yards, forget slugs!! I'd just go back to using the BAR. Even the Thompson with the happy switch in the A position, would be better, as they scatter!

When eradicating hogs, there is rarely just one. They run 10, to 60 in a pack.
The meat goes to feed the poor.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They are absolutely lax. How else do you explain illegals guns used every day in crimes?

Yes, even in places with ridiculously strict gun laws. Again, I reiterate, the biggest source of illegal guns in criminal hands is the government itself. I worked for the military for almost 20 years. The two bases I worked on alone had so many guns, ammo and other things, like grenades, explosives and such, come up missing, all the time, to keep a small country's army running. Civilian owner thefts account for a small percentage of the guns in criminal hands, and criminals can't just walk into Cabelas and buy a gun with a felony record. The current BC system works well.

Whats interesting about that is when a criminal type is denied a gun purchase the police don't follow up on it. I used to work part time in my friends gun store. We turned away, and reported, a few convicted felons trying to buy a gun. The police didn't do a thing. The problem of guns in criminal hands isn't the second amendment. If every single gun owner in the US gave up their weapons, and every single gun store was closed down, criminals would still have an endless source of guns and whatever else they want.

More stuff is stolen off of military bases and government warehouses in a day than is stolen from civilians in a year. And I'm being kind with that estimate.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Slightly OT, but my bolt catch needed a screw instead of a roll pin, so there was a swear. Then the Match II I bought had oversized pins. Lots of swear!! Didn't have a 1/16" Allen wrench. Cuss, cuss, swear. Grip was almost a full 3/8" more narrow than the lower's ears. Swear, hair dryer, foaming salty-dog-sailor swear, lol. Last, but in no way least, the hole in the castle nut wrench was too big for the torque wrench. Yeah, a few more curses. The only thing that DIDN'T give me problems were springs and detents (with a 1/4" clevis pin).

You got a crappy lower!

I use to buy blemished raw lowers, but now I mill my own

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I cannot suppress/silence the muzzle on a 12 gauge and buckshot isn't going to reach out 100 yards, forget slugs!! I'd just go back to using the BAR. Even the Thompson with the happy switch in the A position, would be better, as they scatter!

When eradicating hogs, there is rarely just one. They run 10, to 60 in a pack.
The meat goes to feed the poor.

I didn't think a 12 gauge would be up to it either. To a little google searching, these guys are in helicopters and knocking them down with one hit and it has to be every bit of 100 yards. I understand on the suppression though.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm a law-abiding citizen and I both love guns as a device and treasure its value for self-defense. However, I don't understand how craptastic our gun control laws are and how they vary so much from state to state or even municipality to municipality.

My feeling is that law-abiding and sane citizens should have guns if they choose to do so.1- I'm veering towards encouraging firearm training for anyone who wants it as part of our education system, but as part of that, there must be some kind of certification program, even at a baseline level, that you know how to keep, use, and maintain a firearm. It makes no sense to me that controls and regulations can be so lax from state to state and it feels to me like it almost defeats the purpose of having a firearm in self-defense because the regulations literally makes it easy for a law-abiding citizen to be outgunned because I am not going to spend that significant amount of my income on guns alone. Not having stricter gun controls to me looks like a baseline arms race for self-defense.

I'm not going to go out and do anything stupid with my firearms. They are for sport and self-defense.2- I do not care if my firearms and ammunition are registered--I prefer it. I wish it were far more widespread to have such strict regulations. If you have a remotely criminal history, then you need to bend way over backwards to have access. If you can't demonstrate a basic lack of ability of how a gun should be operated and kept, you need to bone up on the basics and make sure you prove it to have a gun. If you are dumb as a brick, I'm sorry, you should not have a gun and there should be something to prevent you from owning one.

3- There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).

There are a lot of developed countries with wonderful legacies of gun ownership and maintenance and sane laws and they have managed to keep things in check by having sensible regulation. What is it that is that prevents us from doing so? It seems so incredibly insane to me that we as gun owners cannot at least greatly lessen the chances of firearms slipping though the cracks when it's obvious the cracks we've set up in our laws are giant, gaping chasms.

Who the hell is profiting from these laxities?
I'll comment on each bolded item you listed above.

1- The problem is not with decent folks like us who are gun owners and know the rules of gun safety. It doesn't take rocket science to know that pointing a loaded gun at somebody and pulling the trigger will not produce a good outcome. A lot of agencies and organizations do offer training courses for those who want to familiarize themselves with firearms. The problem with your idea of training and "certification" is, those with criminal history are not going to go through any such means to be able to own a gun.

2- Study history and see what happens when gun owners are forced to register their firearms in countries like Germany in the 1930s and 1940s, Australia and England in the 1990s. Also try to force gang members and drug dealers to register their weapons.

3- You're focusing on something that will not reduce violent crime, guns and ammo are not the cause, it's violent criminals. Try to enforce those such tracing rules on gang members and drug dealers and let's see if they'll comply with such rules. Accountability is already in place, you abuse your freedom to own and bear arms, that freedom will be taken away from you.

Thousands of laws that pertain to guns are already in place but they don't seem to be working in places like Chicago. If people were to follow the basic law [commandment] that says "Thou Shall Not Murder", we would not need all of the other laws that are useless.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times
Quote:
Is there anyone else here who is a gun owner and thinks our gun control laws are ridiculously lax?
I do.
I am a veteran, a gun owner, and a Republican Trump supporter.

But I feel that there are many types of guns out there that simply should not be available to anyone but law enforcement.
If it ever comes up for a vote I will inform my Republican congressman and senator that I prefer to limit the types of firearms that are made available to the general public.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I couldn't believe they got rid of the law keeping documentedly mentally ill people from buying guns. That, to me is the ultimate in common sense gun control laws.
first the "law" you are talking about is only ONE law out of a large number of laws that prevent those that have been adjudicated as mentally defective from owning firearms. in fact the law you are talking about allowed those that had someone handle an elderly persons financial affairs because they couldnt handle money, to be denied the ownership of a firearm. and that is a rubbish law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have always had guns, rifles, shotguns, and pistols. What I can not understand is why anyone, outside law enforcement, needs assault type weapons with large capacity magazines. Those are made to do one thing, inflict a large number of injuries in a short period of time.

I know the NRA guys will say it is their right, but I can not own an operational cannon, so why should I be able to buy one of these ?
actually you CAN own an operational cannon, you jut need to file the proper paperwork.

but the second amendment allows the people to right to bear arms. its doesnt limit them to what a governmental body decides they can own. in fact the founders DID NOT want the government to have ANY power over firearms. they wanted the government to take a hands off approach.

but one thing that has been lost on the people of this country over the years is that with rights come responsibilities. yes we have the right to own firearms, but we also have the responsibility to use them properly, IE for protection/self defense, and to put food on the table, and punch holes in paper targets.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They are absolutely lax. How else do you explain illegals guns used every day in crimes?

There is no such thing as an "illegal gun", according to the 2nd amendment.
Unless language has been inserted into the 2nd amendment, without the proper process to amendment the amendment.

No small arms are illegal. Nor huge arms.
It says the RIGHT(not privilege) of the PEOPLE(not citizen) to keep(have) & bear( carry & raise in defense) ARMS(no definitive specification, so the liberty remained with the people to the arms, they choose to keep the free state[person, family, community, state, or nation])
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies