Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,521,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A jury convicted them under Georgia's street gang terrorism statute and that statute's sentencing guidelines. IIRC, Torres was convicted of 3 counts, and Norton of 2.

Georgia is a tough-on-crime state, and if these folks had acted out this way in, say, California, they undoubtedly would have gotten lighter sentences.

As I have said several times before in this very thread, were it up to me, their sentences would have been less. But it wasn't up to me, it was up to Georgia, which definitely has a throw-the-book attitude for just about every criminal prosecution.

I've seen no indication that the prosecution was handled other than fairly.

umm. The Georgia street gang and terrorism act was modeled off of California's.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 AM

73,178 posts, read 63,013,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well to several posters on here, that fact is lost on them.
I don't think the facts are lost on them. I think some of said posters just don't care. Their minds were made up from the beginning. Call me cynical, but that's just how I see it.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 AM

It was mentioned earlier how this could be looked at as "portrayal of rural America". I have done some due diligence of my own.
https://www.city-data.com/county/Douglas_County-GA.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Douglasville-Georgia.html

Douglas County, where this took place, is a suburban county. It borders Fulton County. Douglas County is weird. You have some areas that mirror suburban America. You have areas further west in the county that mirror what we would call "redneck culture". And then you have areas that are kind of "ghetto" Douglas County is sort of where the "hood" , "suburban" and the "redneck" start to merge.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,253,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
As I have said several times before in this very thread, were it up to me, their sentences would have been less.
Then you agree with me. So why are you arguing with me? Why are you arguing with anyone?

I haven't seen a single person claim these people weren't guilty. The only complaint I've seen, is that the punishment didn't fit the crime.

I doubt many in this thread believe that this was the appropriate punishment. And when you call them out on that fact, their only defense of the punishment, is that it might "deter" others.

What they don't realize, is that using someone's life as a deterrent, by punishing them unjustly, is evil.

Either the punishment is just, or it isn't.

I'm glad you're on the right side of this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxwnHVr192A

Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,992,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Then you agree with me. So why are you arguing with me? Why are you arguing with anyone?

I haven't seen a single person claim these people weren't guilty. The only complaint I've seen, is that the punishment didn't fit the crime.

I doubt many in this thread believe that this was the appropriate punishment. And when you call them out on that fact, their only defense of the punishment, is that it might "deter" others.

What they don't realize, is that using someone's life as a deterrent, by punishing them unjustly, is evil.

13 years for him, 6 for her. That was the judge's ruling. What would have been reasonable to you, given they drove around for two days terrorizing black people, culminating in crashing an 8-year old's birthday party and threatening to kill children?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Considering that they threatened to kill some children and brandished a shotgun in the process, well, I can't complain about the sentence. They were pretty much ready to kill. Sounds like terrorism to me. 13 years with 6 to serve for that woman. 20 years with 13 to serve for that man.

What would be an issue is the consistency of sentencing.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
umm. The Georgia street gang and terrorism act was modeled off of California's.
I didn't even know Georgia had a street gang and terrorism act. And I live in Georgia. I found it.

"Criminal gang activity" means the commission, attempted commission, conspiracy to commit, or solicitation, coercion, or intimidation of another person to commit any of the following offenses on or after July 1, 2006:

(A) Any offense defined as racketeering activity by Code Section 16-14-3;

(B) Any offense defined in Article 7 of Chapter 5 of this title, relating to stalking;

(C) Any offense defined in Code Section 16-6-1 as rape, 16-6-2 as aggravated sodomy, 16-6-3 as statutory rape, or 16-6-22.2 as aggravated sexual battery;

(D) Any offense defined in Article 3 of Chapter 10 of this title, relating to escape and other offenses related to confinement;

(E) Any offense defined in Article 4 of Chapter 11 of this title, relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices;

(F) Any offense defined in Code Section 42-5-15, 42-5-16, 42-5-17, 42-5-18, or 42-5-19, relating to the security of state or county correctional facilities;

(G) Any offense defined in Code Section 49-4A-11, relating to aiding or encouraging a child to escape from custody;

(H) Any offense of criminal trespass or criminal damage to property resulting from any act of gang related painting on, tagging, marking on, writing on, or creating any form of graffiti on the property of another;

(I) Any criminal offense committed in violation of the laws of the United States or its territories, dominions, or possessions, any of the several states, or any foreign nation which, if committed in this state, would be considered criminal gang activity under this Code section; and

(J) Any criminal offense in the State of Georgia, any other state, or the United States that involves violence, possession of a weapon, or use of a weapon, whether designated as a felony or not, and regardless of the maximum sentence that could be imposed or actually was imposed.

(2) "Criminal street gang" means any organization, association, or group of three or more persons associated in fact, whether formal or informal, which engages in criminal gang activity as defined in paragraph (1) of this Code section. The existence of such organization, association, or group of individuals associated in fact may be established by evidence of a common name or common identifying signs, symbols, tattoos, graffiti, or attire or other distinguishing characteristics, including, but not limited to, common activities, customs, or behaviors. Such term shall not include three or more persons, associated in fact, whether formal or informal, who are not engaged in criminal gang activity.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:39 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,202,198 times
Law and order people. Believe in it and embrace it or go home. You guys (the righty tighties - hehe) are big proponents of law and order so, if you are being honest, then I don't understand the problem. I do, but I want you guys to admit it. Won't hold my breath. Cheers.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,083,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/nbc4i.com...ate-flags/amp/

I can only imagine what these scumbags were thinking as they terrorized party-goers (mostly kids) with a shotgun:

"Hooray, Trump won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Have fun in prison, Deplorables.
This happened over a year before the election, do you people think before you open your mouths

Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,848,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Justice or power

No Jail Time For 19-Year-Old In Idaho Coat-Hanger Assault Case
A 19-year-old white man accused of kicking a coat hanger up the rectum of a mentally disabled black teammate received no jail time at his sentencing on Friday.

No Jail Time For 19-Year-Old In Idaho Coat-Hanger Assault Case : The Two-Way : NPR

See what I mean -- justice is not only blind-- some of it is plain stupid-- or really biased- wrong judge at wrong case?? Move the two over to this county--- for better results
I agree, this person deserved more time in jail.

Please tell me why Idaho should use Georgia law and sentencing guidelines when putting someone on trial for an Idaho crime.

And vice versa of course.

So do you think we should do away with state criminal law entirely, and instead have a national criminal law and sentencing guidelines? Should all police be working for the feds? What about all DAs and all judges?

Because I don't see a middle ground here. Either states have their own criminal justice system - or they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies