Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:44 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,910,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No. Wife no. 1 and wife no. 3 were imports.

....so mail order brides -- Buy American?
I stand corrected. However let's just say the majority of his wives are imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I must have hit a nerve since you felt the need to inject race. If you don't want your questions answered, then don't ask. It wasn't hard at all to poke a hole in your logic. Sure, give Obama credit for spending other people's money... with no skin in the game. And like I've said over and over again, this thread wasn't supposed to be about Trump, it is about the America First message. But since Trump haters can't find fault in the message, they resort to attacking the man. Obama was brought up only because of your failure to put things in perspective. But you're right, Obama is pretty much irrelevant.
Lol, that you took "great white father" as injecting race. I had to read it again to see wtf you were talking about. Twas a historical reference, actually. I read Undaunted Courage last year.

But I see you are just more interested at shouting into thin air than having an intelligent conversation. Just arguing to argue and dancing around waving your arms and shouting meaningless phrases you heard other people say. Have a party with that. There are way too many like you on P&OC.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-12-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 02:54 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - Buy American was instituted by the Obama administration as a part of "the stimulus" in 2009-2010.

It is a liberal created and supported plan...
Does Trump know the details of it, I wonder? I imagine someone HAS to be taking him through and schooling him on stuff like this as he's been transitioning into the job. I hope he is able to put his ego aside and listen to the experts with the knowledge in that area.

I had a ray of hope when I saw he brought Roth and Lefrak in from NY to look at repairing and updating the country's infrastructure. That would mean both jobs and a boost for Buy American.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,684,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Kind of hypocrisy on Trump's part. Heck his last 2 wives have been imports.

LOL, 1st and third ,Marla was home grown.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,693,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Okay, We are both right. He is bringing them in on an H2B visa, different then an H1B, which is tech oriented although the end result is the same.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, We are both right. He is bringing them in on an H2B visa, different then an H1B, which is tech oriented although the end result is the same.
He also hires H1B visa workers.

Quote:
Records show when Trump needed specialty talent, he turned to another foreign guest worker program, the H-1B visa. These included nearly 300 foreign guest workers who came to work as fashion models, engineers, and hotel managers. These workers went mostly to Trump's model management company, his international hotel and tower, and the Trump Organization at large.
Trump's decade-long record of hiring foreign guest workers - Jul. 28, 2016

Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Yet another Trump hater who doesn't understand that Trump is not a clothing manufacturer. Apparently, the concept of branding escapes the minds of Trump haters. Trump's business is his brand. He didn't open up a factory in China. If there was an opportunity for him to make a profit from his brand name on American made clothing, then I'm sure he would have capitalized on that already.

He uses these profits from his brand to invest in his primary business, real estate. His building projects have put thousands of people to work in this country.
I understand very well the concept of branding. I also believe, perhaps naively, that to put your name on something is to endorse it.

My name is not worth a penny, but if it were, I would not allow anyone to use it whose products and business practices I did not respect and admire. My disgust with people who let abusive corporations use their good name is not limited to Trump, he just happens to be the most prominent example at the moment.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Wow, how are they bringing models in on H1-B's ? That particular visa was intended for specialty tech types of jobs , or so I thought.

Why Fashion Models are Twice as Likely to Get H-1B Visas as Computer Programmers | Inc.com

Old 03-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Manufacturers began to understand that " built to last" was not conducive to repeat buyers and so planned obsolesence took over.

A business specifies the quality of the end product. When " cheap crap" is specified that's what is delivered, no matter where it's made.

Trump Org, like others, can choose to have their wares manufactured anywhere. Trump Org, like most others, choose the lowest cost producer which increasingly is no longer China.

That someone who chooses to manufacture everything off shore wants US people to buy Made in the USA is laughable.

Interesting, I've been in the automotive business for over 30 years, both on the tooling design side and component design engineering side and I've never heard that term. I've got a rear compartment (large SUV) workgroup this afternoon, maybe I'll ask about that.

In reality, everything is designed around price point. An interior trim piece for a Chevy Cruise is going to be made of cheaper materials then for a Bentley.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
What percent of Americans would benefit from protectionism? 10%? 20%? 30%?

What percent of Americans would suffer from protectionism in the form of higher prices for goods and services and fewer choices? From the standpoint of consumers, 100%.

Even if you manage to bring back factories through protectionism, they're only gong to survive by taking money from American consumers. They won't be able to sell their products internationally because outside of this country they still won't be competitive with lower cost foreign competition. The only way they could compete internationally would be by massive use of robotics, with relatively few, highly trained workers, which of course would cut down on the number of Americans benefiting.

That's not even considering lessening demand caused by higher consumer prices.

The only industries where protectionism is warranted are high-tech industries vital for national defense.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 03-13-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies