Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 05:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Health care is expensive and the only way to cut down costs is to go toward UHC and capitation. Capitation encourages the healthcare provider to prevent illness and disease and to treat it early. It is a disincentive for useless procedures that are involved in prolonging the life of a terminal brain dead patient, or toward performing elective procedures that may or may not be valuable.

How much of a role private insurance companies would play in capitation would probably depend on if we adopted UHC with large numbers of private providers, or a single payer plan but in either case it should save money and insure all people better health care outcomes.
Overall HC costs will not go down with universal care. More patients, more access, more encounters, more testing and more procedures. The cost per encounter may go down, but overall there will be many more encounters.

Capitation failed in the '90's. I don't see it coming back. It did work out well for lazy docs though. Please understand that much in medicine does not get done with the patients we already have. Much is left undone. Many go without their recommended colonoscopy as an example. With capitation more of that will not be done as this would then be savings for the provider. The patient usually does not know all that should be done. Incomplete evaluations, work ups and treatments are cheaper, and may not be as effective.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Exactly, before the Affordable Care Act there were policies with low deductibles.
One guy's low deductible is the next guys unaffordable deductible.

Before the ACA there were health plans that :

Excluded hospitalization

Excluded Cancer Treatment

Excluded preexisting conditions

Had higher co- pays

Had low Annual caps on claims

Had higher out of pocket caps which may or may not have included the deductible

Did not include medications

Insurance sold in the Individual Plan Market was highly variable within and across states.

Insurers have been exiting the Individual Plan markets for more than 25 years.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I believe that in your original post on this subject you used Medicare Advantage as a program where private insurance companies bring value and efficiency into healthcare. Given that they cost us 14% more than regular medicare I simply don't agree with your conclusion. I'm not saying not to get one, I just don't think there is a case to be made that they are more efficient or less expensive than traditional medicare.
I can tell you one thing. And that is I know one of the original developers of the HMO concept in the SW. Of course MA's are HMO's. And he retired maybe 10 years ago or so with a $150M benefit. HMO's make good money aside from their bonus, which I thought was 12%, by cherry picking healthier enrollees, and through their denial process.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think I'll root for people to get screwed because those most at risk, poor, rural, and poorly educated are never going to learn unless they feel the consequences of their actions. Voting for Trump has consequences.
Hopefully his supporters will get pissed and join the resistance. The more people against him the better and if he has no one to vouch for him, he's either going to resign or do better (most likely the former) because the criticism is already getting to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But his vulnerability is his need to be loved, admired and respected. If he screws the group of people who do, there will be no one left to feed his ego.
I agree with you but it's already mind boggling. If he wants so bad to be admired wouldn't he realize that acting out against criticism in the way that he does esp valid criticism is only going to make one dislike him more?
It makes it more mind boggling that he'd screw the group of people who did vote for him but I could have said the same thing with my ex. He cared a lot about what people thought of him but yet he screwed his friends..now has no one. Of course it's rare to find someone as stupid as him but maybe Trump is just that stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Why was it 'disasterous for many Obama supporters'? I live in a state that participated in the ACA and have no complaints. I kept my doctor, my premiums were lower (at first) and liked it just fine. Now I am facing an increase in annual premiums of almost $3,000. Now, THAT'S a disaster.

BTW, isn't not 'disasterous'. It's 'disastrous'.
I don't know. The healthcare itself is obviously not a disaster. Before Obamacare I didn't have any healthcare.
Only thing I can think of is the amount of spending that goes into it as I think Republicans think if you cut the benefits jobs will magically pop up. I would like to think that too because I don't like being on the dole but I don't know if that's true.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If Trump truly cared about his supporters ... and truly wanted to shake things up, he would support Medicare for All. End this debate forever. And he would literally take the rug away from under the Democrats' feet.
I've noted this before......end the wars and enact health care for all and he is a shoe in come 2020. If he did both of those things he could make himself out to be the biggest fool in Twitter all he wants, I'd vote for him.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
At the rate we are going, Trump's security costs will outweigh whatever we spent in those three countries.
No it won't. Even if it did, I would prefer we spend money on that than taking thousands of innocent lives.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Are you aware of the "devastation of the crash of 2007 and 2008 caused all over America and around the Globe?
We've done this countless times. The scare tactics worked. I agree to that.

Why is it that we couldn't have simply gave each person thousands of dollars to spend as opposed to Wall Street billions? Why is it what not a single banker was held accountable for anything?

Your defense of this **** disgusts me. Thanks for Trump.

P.S. the home loan modification program passed. The banks stole it all.

http://billmoyers.com/2015/02/14/needless-default/

https://onthefrontlinesofamericanswa...s-not-working/

Obama failed at everything he touched.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Trump voters deserve EVERYTHING that Trump is going to do to them. I am thoroughly enjoying watching people who voted for that clown suffer under his policies.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:40 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
I'm optimistic. I'm currently working 3 part-time jobs because no employer wants to pay benefits, and either have to purchase insurance on the "market" (which there isn't one) or face a penalty. It makes more sense to just pay the penalty with the premiums coupled with the fact I hardly use services.

This administration is right. Obama care is not working and desperately needs replaced with something that works.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:41 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We've done this many times. I've posted links after link explaining it. Did wealth inequality grow under Obama or not?

Of course it did and it cost the (D)'s big time in November.
Wealth inequity spiked under Bush, and with all the Trillions that Vanished, fell much of it into the pockets of the wealthy, the Military Industrialist, and the other area of Industrialist, who stashed it away and started selling off anything they could get a shot term high gain. The Real Story has much depth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies