Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have to wonder just who the "allied forces" are we are supporting here. These convoluted and mixed up conflicts like Syria I would prefer to not see our people having to be in harms way with. If we just HAVE to support whatever "Ally" here the Navy could handle such support from offshore. With missiles and aircraft. Having toput in a forward deployed artillery unit, within rocket range of hostile forces, seems odd tome. But hey, I'm not on the joint chiefs. Mores the pity....
I totally agree. In the article the OP provided it states they haven't decided who is going to mount the offensive to take Raqqa.

It's insane.

I say it's high time we let them kill each other. We should give weapons and ammo to BOTH sides to hurry it along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I totally agree. In the article the OP provided it states they haven't decided who is going to mount the offensive to take Raqqa.

It's insane.

I say it's high time we let them kill each other. We should give weapons and ammo to BOTH sides to hurry it along.
SELL to them, they don't appear to be lacking $$$.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have to wonder just who the "allied forces" are we are supporting here. These convoluted and mixed up conflicts like Syria I would prefer to not see our people having to be in harms way with. If we just HAVE to support whatever "Ally" here the Navy could handle such support from offshore. With missiles and aircraft. Having toput in a forward deployed artillery unit, within rocket range of hostile forces, seems odd tome. But hey, I'm not on the joint chiefs. Mores the pity....
I don't think anybody disagree with the bold here.

But, this is not reality. It is America politics we are dealing with here.

So, if Marines must be sent, artillery guys are better than.. special forces.

Tactically, you can use artillery to neutralize the enemy, suppression, to screen movements, or to illuminate the battlefield.

with field artillery, you can soften the enemy positions, destroy key equipment, keep them busy and in their holes, injure or kill a large number before your friendlies can even be in range with their own weapons. When they get to the position, they will just have minimum resistance.

Artillery also gives you the ability to hit not only men, but also equipment, fortifications and facilities that would be very hard for ground forces to reach and attack.

I can only speculate here, I think Trump's administration wants a quick war.

oh by the way, I am not trying to lecture anybody, you obviously know way more than I do. I just wanted to make a point, that is all.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-09-2017 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was not trying to tell you what artillery means. Just making a point, that is all. I know you and your spouse are veterans, you have said it often.

Like I said, if Marines have to be sent, it is better to send in the artillery than special forces.

Never said artillery fire is anything new. Just saying it is BETTER to send in the artillery guys than the special forces.

Come on, you know the American politicians must defeat ISIS, Trump or Hillary, no difference.
Why must American politicians defend ISIS? Where is it written that we must do so?

Hillary is history. It's Trump now. I haven't seen any evidence that Trump's war will be over quickly.

We shall see.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Curious... Before the inauguration, one of the things Trump supporters here talked a lot about was their hope that Trump would reduce the US's involvement in global conflicts so we could focus our attention and resourc s domestically. How does this fit with that goal?
Trump also campaigned on defeating ISIS.

Clinton supporters turned a blind eye to the Rwanda genocide but want to start a potential nuclear conflict with Russia over the Ukraine and Crimea, and they want to turn a blind eye to ISIS. They claim to be confused and dumbfounded. But have no fear I am not confused because I have a proper moral formation. Russia can keep Crimea and ISIS can have their teeth kicked down their throats.

Semper.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Why must American politicians defend ISIS? Where is it written that we must do so?

Hillary is history. It's Trump now. I haven't seen any evidence that Trump's war will be over quickly.

We shall see.
I don't know why, but I believe they all want to defeat ISIS.

well, I agree with the we shall see part.

----

American politicians and Syria

The importance of Syria is not because of the resources it has, but because of the countries that borders it. The Middle East is the oil production giant and is a sensitive spot for foreign intervention. The addition of a foreign power may allow the war to spill over into neighboring countries, inciting a deadly Middle Eastern war that would be devastating for many countries that are dependent on oil from Middle East.

money, interests, ideology altogether lead to the crisis. Syria being the lunch meat between regional and global powers, really has little or no options.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
SELL to them, they don't appear to be lacking $$$.
Very good idea.

We should be the biggest arms dealer in the world, if we aren't already.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think anybody disagree with the bold here.

But, this is not reality. It is America politics we are dealing with here.
As long as we accept 'It's American politics' we will have no one to blame but ourselves. Unlike the laws of Physics, there's is nothing about American politics that can't be changed but change will only happen when we commit to creating change.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as we accept 'It's American politics' we will have no one to blame but ourselves. Unlike the laws of Physics, there's is nothing about American politics that can't be changed but change will only happen when we commit to creating change.
well, that is why many voted Trump.
Look, I don't have any particular loyalty towards the man, but it is like music to my ears when he said

Iraq war is a big fat mistake.

If i made a mistake voting him, I would be very very disappointed.

I wanted Ron Paul or even Rand Paul is good enough for me. But.. oh well

Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
So...are you gonna go to Syria and participate? Or cheer people like me on as we go over unwillingly because we've been trying to fix Iraq since 2006 with very little progress?

And yes I said Iraq because Rabiyah is right there on the border, and the Syrians would bring a ton of stuff over by train to help the insurgents.

ISIS is just AQI rebranded with a different name. Yes, they're like roaches.

Yes, since 2003. But things weren't too bad until Saddam was executed (2006) which happened when I first touched down.

We never completely withdrew from either OIF or OEF; I was actually in country when the Obama Administration made that false claim.

Indeed, you did state that you had mixed feelings. I don't know how to destroy ISIS besides containing them to their region of the world. But idiots want open borders, so here we are.

I'm curious, too. We definitely shouldn't really be the main effort involved, but we shouldn't simply do nothing either. It's a delicate situation.

I agree, but then what needs to happen is that we employ strict immigration policies in order to reduce the number of potential infiltrators that can enter the US. Problem is that we have a very shaky screening process at best.
ISIS is an acronym for a country like the USA is an acronym for a country. And that country is poorly equipped compared to when we went to fight Saddam during the 1st Gulf War. If the USA can't defeat a ragtag country then it has zero business squaring off with first rate military powers like Russia and China.

Al Qaida was not and is not a country. It is an an NGO.

Okay, let me explain it like this. An NGO is the KKK. The state of Mississippi is not an an NGO.

ISIS would be the equivalent of Mississippi and any Al Qaida in it would be the equivalent of Al Qaida.

How to destroy ISIS is pretty simple. As General Mattie himself has said--the same thing I have been saying--you anihilation them. A war of anihilation vs a war of attrition.

War of attrition is what we have been fighting against Assad and what we fought against Saddam in the 1st Gulf War. In mathematics it might be looked at something like this: 100 - 40 = 60 (war of attrition) and 100 - 100 = 0 (war of anihilation).

In a war of attrition are trying to get your opponent to tap out, to come to the table to cede to your demands, for a political win.

In war of annihilation you are hoping no one survives. You end the roach infestation by killing all the roaches. No more roaches to have sex and create more babies to infest your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies