Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If they're Imams, then it would seem to validate the OP's title for the thread, which appears to be a big argument here. There may be some within the various Muslim subgroups that believe it's evil come into close proximity with a strange woman. Stranger things have happened.

Otherwise, it changes nothing. If anyone should be inconvenienced, it is the person demanding special privilege. If the woman in the story was simply asked to change one equal seat for another, then that's not an inconvenience. If she's saying it is, then I don't see why and I think this is a pretty stupid news story. But if they were adamantly refusing to be seated next to a woman and there were no spare seats, the two Pakistanis should be asked to get off the plane. That's about it.
Nope, you are incorrect. Within Islam there is no problem sitting alongside a woman as long as there is no physical contact. The OP purposely stated Muslim, so others would read it. If the OP stated Buddhist, I doubt this thread would have made it past a dozen posts. Yet here we are still discussing Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Nope, you are incorrect. Within Islam there is no problem sitting alongside a woman as long as there is no physical contact. The OP purposely stated Muslim, so others would read it. If the OP stated Buddhist, I doubt this thread would have made it past a dozen posts. Yet here we are still discussing Muslims.
The article is so ridiculously non-specific that it leaves a ton of wiggle room for ... well ... just about anything. Are there some Muslims whose interpretation of scripture leads them to conclude that sitting next to a woman they don't know would be wrong? Considering that there are thousands if not millions of different interpretations within Islam, then even though I've never heard of it, I'm certainly not going to say it doesn't exist.

Sure it would make a lot more sense if we're referencing Buddhist or Christian Monks as they are celibate. Then again, we don't know enough to make that assumption.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
The article is so ridiculously non-specific that it leaves a ton of wiggle room for ... well ... just about anything. Are there some Muslims whose interpretation of scripture leads them to conclude that sitting next to a woman they don't know would be wrong? Considering that there are thousands if not millions of different interpretations within Islam, then even though I've never heard of it, I'm certainly not going to say it doesn't exist.

Sure it would make a lot more sense if we're referencing Buddhist or Christian Monks as they are celibate. Then again, we don't know enough to make that assumption.
Per the link in #1:

Quote:
Campos was told the men were Pakistani monks who were wearing long orange shirts.
What assumption??? It was clearly typed in the link.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Given the miniscule size of most airline seats, avoiding physical contact is difficult. Joking, but only kind of.

And yeah, you are right, had it said Buddhists, this would have been a much shorter thread.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:

There is an entire mini-state in europe where women are prohibited for religious reasons.

It's christian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos

Old 03-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There is an entire mini-state in europe where women are prohibited for religious reasons.

It's christian. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos
Female animals are also forbidden.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Why didn't she object to sitting next to them?!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why didn't she object to sitting next to them?!
Thought they were Hare Krishna?

Old 03-14-2017, 02:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Per the link in #1:

What assumption??? It was clearly typed in the link.
The assumption that they were Muslim. "Pakistani" is a nationality and monks can be of various different religions. Nothing seems to indicate these guys were Muslim despite the thread title.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The assumption that they were Muslim. "Pakistani" is a nationality and monks can be of various different religions. Nothing seems to indicate these guys were Muslim despite the thread title.
This is the third thread to cover this topic since October. Most posters assumed they were Muslims from Pakistan and totally skipped over the part that they were Monks and that there are no Monks in Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies