Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can liberals and conservatives be friends?
Yes 39 66.10%
No 14 23.73%
Not sure 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:15 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,780,990 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am friends with lots of liberals. With most of them I can have great conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
The funny thing is, I'm not even a conservative. Go figure.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My sis and many of my friends are righties-- I know things they can't possibly know and I am- more tuned in -- they too busy golfing or running marathons or watching the Voice... so- we drop our differences at the door-
At work it is MUM
I'm just curious as to how you know you know things "...they can't possibly know." That statement seems rather arrogant.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
It depends. If the two people are open to discussing the issues and agreeing to disagree, then yes, liberals and conservatives can be friends. I have one conservative friend who is like that. We don't agree on almost any political issue but we are able to have thoughtful political conversations because we are both well informed and can explain why we believe what we believe.

On the other hand, I couldn't be friends with conservatives who immediately yell "snowflake" or "*******" as soon as you disagree with Trump.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Have always had friends from both parties, from opposite ends of political spectrum. I have voted for many GOP candidates, usually for Gov. or US Senator.

However, I cannot abide the average tRump voter.

There's a big annual neighborhood party here every April. The host this year is an older man who had a tRump sign in his yard (a very large, over the top sign, frankly). He's not a close-by neighbor so I barely know him, however, a mutual friend has told me he is an adamant supporter and talks about nothing but tRump since the election.

Not only will we not attend, I fear this may be the end of this annual cookout as my friend tells me that many others are not going this year either. We are fairly new here (4 years), but the party has been given annually for 20+ years.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
If you think politics is the end-all and be-all of life and there are no other topics of importance for discussion, then no.

For the rest of humanity who find bonding over life, love, and the things in our lives that bring us happiness, then yes.

(Oh, and I have to cling to this belief, because I find both liberals and conservatives absolutely delusional to the point of reprehensibility, yet I have to have some friends.)

Seriously, 100 years ago, people thought that a friendship between a Presbyterian and a Catholic was nearly unthinkable, not even out of simple tribal antipathy, but plain ideological difference. Today, it is far different.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Have always had friends from both parties, from opposite ends of political spectrum. I have voted for many GOP candidates, usually for Gov. or US Senator.

However, I cannot abide the average tRump voter.

There's a big annual neighborhood party here every April. The host this year is an older man who had a tRump sign in his yard (a very large, over the top sign, frankly). He's not a close-by neighbor so I barely know him, however, a mutual friend has told me he is an adamant supporter and talks about nothing but tRump since the election.

Not only will we not attend, I fear this may be the end of this annual cookout as my friend tells me that many others are not going this year either. We are fairly new here (4 years), but the party has been given annually for 20+ years.
I call fake news.

This whole scenario is just too convenient, based on the style in which it was written and in the context of your usual posts.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 03-12-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If you are attempting to compare the statist President Trump to a Constitutionalist, you are very mistaken. He, like most on the left and the right, wants to impose HIS will, beliefs, morality and dictates upon society. His ONLY redeeming quality comes from his attempt to change the horribly destructive direction progressives, liberals, Marxists and communists have been shoving down society's collective throat. In that and that alone, I support him. Now if he would do the same to the statist views of conservatives as well, I would support that man 100%.

Drain the entire swamp, left AND right, then get back to the true founding fathers' intent for the Constitution. THAT is what being a Constitutionalist means... not the one sided non-sense of President Trump.
Oh no, I haven't confused Trump for a constitutionalist, however, constitutionalists and so-called patriots do seem to support him. I agree that Trump wants to impose HIS will regardless of the constitution. How do they reconcile dismantling the government with their supposedly profound belief in our government? It's not nearly as simple as "constitutionalist vs commie" and even if it were, people are not one the sides you would expect. Or even that they themselves would have predicted a few years ago.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:39 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
It depends on the people involved.

I have a couple friends that lean left, but aren't rabid about it, and we can ice fish or hunt together and get along fine, but we don't talk politics.
I have several conservative friends, we don't talk politics either, even though I agree with them.

Politics does influence how we view things, but it doesn't have to be the only thing that defines us. People of good faith can share goals even if how they want to achieve those goals differs widely.

I don't compromise my principles, and I don't expect others to change theirs. Can Conservatives and liberals be friends? I'd say yes, as long as both sides respect the other.

Sadly, I don't see much respect and acceptance from the left lately, but I keep hope they will someday get over the hatred fostered by their leaders and the press, and accept and work with the other political views to move forward for the betterment of all.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Most of my friends are very far to the Left, while on many issues, I'm far to the Right. They sometimes bring up politics, but I've found most of my friends don't really have an in-depth knowledge of the issues and haven't spent much time critically evaluating their own viewpoints, so our discussions usually end soon after they start. A few of my friends are actually well informed and we have gotten into heated alcohol-fueled debates. I've even been swayed a few times and I think that they've at least reconsidered some of their views.

Our friendship only works because we like and respect each other, despite our differences in views. And that's the key. I've seen more and more that people with different political opinions tend to view the other side as the enemy. They aren't able to come to a common ground because they absolutely hate the other side. And a big reason for this is because of the assumption that their views are morally correct, while the others' aren't. There's no good way to get along with people you believe to be immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies