Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The intel agencies have gone rogue and are trying to replace the government.

They should be dissolved and replaced.

Stalin was smart enough to do this on a regular basis.

People are traitors at heart -- especially when they get maximum power combined with minimum accountability.

LOL, I could have been wrong on my previous post.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:32 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes we would. Despite the idiotic nonsense driven by the whitehouse, the CIA has done amazing work. Not perfect, but only morons expect perfection.
Seriously? Amazing work?

The international issues that the CIA by its defenders is needed to deal with today especially in the middle east are a direct result of the CIA covert operations over the years. Its called blowback. Look at Iran. The CIA assisted in a coup in 1953 that installed the Shah. That led to the rise of the government we are dealing with today and a big reason why they hate us.

How about what the CIA did in Afghanistan with arming militant Islamic groups (aiding Osama Bin Laden)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

I could go on and on. These operations eventually become public information and increase the animosity and hatred around the world towards us.

Tell me which of the numerous covert operations over the years the CIA has conducted have actually made things better for Americans?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Bush administration ignored months of CIA briefings warning of a pending attack.

It wasn't just the Aug. 6th briefing that Bush eventually released, there were months of such briefings. Had the Bush administration not ignored these warnings but put everyone on high alert from TSA on, the dots might have been connected. There were several reports of co-conspirators apprehended at airports, flight school students who were uninterested in landing procedures...

The Bush White House Was Deaf to 9/11 Warnings - The New York Times

CIA Director Documentary: ‘The Attacks Will Be Spectacular’ - POLITICO Magazine

We'll never know.

But we do know that the CIA warned the Bush administration, warned them for months.
They also warned Bill Clinton on Bin Laden but he read a NYT article that disputed the danger that Bin Laden possessed so he passed on trying to take him out:

Document Dump Shows Bill Clinton Was Skeptical About Osama bin Laden - The Daily Beast

But the CIA also believed Saddam had WMD's which led to the fiasco in Iraq.

Michael Morell apologizes to Colin Powell about CIA pre-Iraq war WMD evidence - CBS News

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-14-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
they warned Bush about Osama Bin Laden and his "spectacular" attacks that he had planned.

And they warned about the dangers of Iraq.

NBC: CIA warned of risks of war in the Mideast - NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams - NBC News Investigates | NBC News

So yes. They did. any other ignorance I should help resolve?

Seriously, the CIA does a lot, and 95% of the time they provide excellent intelligence. Something presidents have failed to heed in the past. Course our current one doesn't even read their briefings.
You didn't answer my question.

Did they either STOP 9/11 or tell Bush that Iraq would be a DISASTER?

Telling Bush about "the dangers" is par for the course. Hell, anyone can do that.

Excellent intelligence? Pfffffffft...seriously? I can't find a single expert on intelligence that supports that statement.

The CIA has a record of pretty much nothing but failure. Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Seriously one of the most ignorant statements ever on these forums.That should say something.
If you think the CIA is worth its salt, then you're in small company. Since they were created, no more than a few presidents have ever trusted their Intel or advice.

So please...spare me.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Quote:
they warned Bush about Osama Bin Laden and his "spectacular" attacks that he had planned.

NBC: CIA warned of risks of war in the Mideast - NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams - NBC News Investigates | NBC News

Seriously, the CIA does a lot, and 95% of the time they provide excellent intelligence. Something presidents have failed to heed in the past. Course our current one doesn't even read their briefings.
Not really. They let several of the 911 hijackers they were tracking into the United States despite suspecting that they were involved in planning another major attack. It was the same with the 1983 World Trade Center bombing. The members of the plot had worked for the CIA in Afghanistan and were involved in a sting where the FBI provided them with explosives. The CIA provided phony intelligence on the Iraq yellowcake plot, the mobile bio-weapons labs, and so on.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,780 times
More Danger? I don't know about that, most people across the USA and the world probably wouldn't like what they hear. But if you expose the CIA, expose every other country's spy agency too, you'd probably find they're all pretty similar and what everyone thinks is secret and secure probably isn't.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
Quote:

This is the danger of Trumpsters...they literally have no context of the world around them and think they can run the government just as well as those in place....so you get questions like "Why do we need the CIA?"

It would be hilarious if they didn't get to vote as well, thus we're in the current situation we face....President Trump...

Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The intel agencies have gone rogue and are trying to replace the government.

They should be dissolved and replaced.

Stalin was smart enough to do this on a regular basis.

People are traitors at heart -- especially when they get maximum power combined with minimum accountability.

You may have confused the latest episode of Homeland for real life...turn of the TV...

Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
With the whole wikileaks thing I thought about something: Say hypothetically EVERYTHING the CIA has done and is involved in was fully out there. There was nothing they did or would do that wasn't fully open and transparent, would it really put more Americans in danger? Just like the stupid TSA which has done nothing to protect Americans I really don't believe it. The CIA and their ilk has no reason to exist other than to spy on people for no reason and they have never done anything to help Americans, they sure did a great job at stopping 9/11 didn't they?

I think if one thing is clear, a terrorist attack will happen whether the CIA exists or not.
Actually, with the CIA helping organized crime groups run cocaine and heroin into the US to finance their secret wars, and with crime groups murdering each other and stray bullets hitting little children, how exactly has the CIA helped keep America "safe." And safe from what?

I just watch a movie on DVD the other day, based on a true story of an undercover law enforcement agent trying to take down a network of cocaine traffickers tied directly to Pablo Escobar. Apparently, this cop was being followed, or so it was in the movie. The guy turned out to be a CIA agent. The cops partner beat the CIA dude up in a strip club to let him know to stay away.

At the end of the movie words would put up telling what happened after all the arrests. Big bankers were taken down too. Actually, this may have been FBI and not cops. Either way the movie claims it was later revealed that the CIA was using cocaine money sells in the US to finance not only their war in Nicaragua but also the Mujahideen fighters in Afghanistan that would later turn into the Taliban.

If the Taliban made America safer then why did we sent troops to invade Afghanistan and drive them out of power? And what military or economic threat did Nicaragua pose to the average American? And don't tell me they challenged American jobs in manufacturing, because if that were the case then why have so many manufacturing jobs still relocated outside of the USA?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
The Infiltrator.

That was the name of the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies