Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Glad you can read my mind. And I did not say for people "with money", I said it's for the HOMEBOUND!
I'm sorry, I should not have done that. I think homebound people with money do have recourses to get food and not depend on government programs. I don't think MOW is a good resource for that.

Homebound people without money should get MOW if they want it but not if they just throw it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I'm sorry, I should not have done that. I think homebound people with money do have recourses to get food and not depend on government programs. I don't think MOW is a good resource for that.

Homebound people without money should get MOW if they want it but not if they just throw it away.
You say "government programs" like they're a bad thing. As we've said over and over and OVER again, they're locally based.

My mom was not wealthy, but she was what you'd call "comfortable". What alternative did she have to get a hot meal, already prepared, delivered to the house, daily for a "reasonable" price? And before you jump on the family's case, I lived 1500 miles away and my brother 1000 mi. It's not always like your (cough, cough) extremely hilarious cartoon! The cartoonist is out in left field!

Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Well I would hope people are taken case by case. There is so much waste in government programs and most agree with that. If people donate from charities at least our national debt won't keep going up, it's getting out of hand.

I agree they should cut pork barrel programs first but they write the bills so crazy in congress good programs are lumped in with unnecessary programs so they have to cut back on all programs.

Locally, we have many charities that feed people in our area. I hope your mom can take advantage of what is offered in her area. If she can't find out maybe you can do a search for her. I was lucky enough to be close to both my mother and my in-laws.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You say "government programs" like they're a bad thing. As we've said over and over and OVER again, they're locally based.

My mom was not wealthy, but she was what you'd call "comfortable". What alternative did she have to get a hot meal, already prepared, delivered to the house, daily for a "reasonable" price? And before you jump on the family's case, I lived 1500 miles away and my brother 1000 mi. It's not always like your (cough, cough) extremely hilarious cartoon! The cartoonist is out in left field!
These days they have awesome, nutritional microwave meals. There are also several services that provide microwaveable meals delivered nationwide. They also have take out delivery.
And its not like MOW isnt getting most of their funding from other sources so this wont affect many MOW services at all.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
These days they have awesome, nutritional microwave meals. There are also several services that provide microwaveable meals delivered nationwide. They also have take out delivery.
And its not like MOW isnt getting most of their funding from other sources so this wont affect many MOW services at all.
I take it you aren't very familiar with Meals on Wheels. It's not just the food, it's the daily welfare check and for some seniors their only opportunity that day to have contact with another human being. But I'm sure our money will be much better spend building up Trumps Naval Armada since we all know that the next military conflict will be a war at sea, replete with schooners and pirate hats.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Homebound people have access to food delivery or frozen food. However, a lot of it is heavy on the salt and light on the vegetables.

Plus, $6/meal is affordable on a daily basis. $20 + tip may not be for those who are just barely getting by.

But the big difference is in takeout is that there is no regular person to stop by and make sure they are okay.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I take it you aren't very familiar with Meals on Wheels. It's not just the food, it's the daily welfare check and for some seniors their only opportunity that day to have contact with another human being. But I'm sure our money will be much better spend building up Trumps Naval Armada since we all know that the next military conflict will be a war at sea, replete with schooners and pirate hats.
Oh please. These are volunteers that drop off meals. The volunteers are volunteers, there is nothing stopping them from doing welfare checks if that is such an important part of the program. A part that is not funded by federal money. There are also various other programs that serve to do home healthcare, welfare checks as well as other services. Some of you act as though there are not many other services and resources.

And honestly if there are elderly people homebound that have no other contact with the outside world other than a volunteer from MOW they need to be in some type of assisted living so they can be cared for.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Oh please. These are volunteers that drop off meals. The volunteers are volunteers, there is nothing stopping them from doing welfare checks if that is such an important part of the program. A part that is not funded by federal money. There are also various other programs that serve to do home healthcare, welfare checks as well as other services. Some of you act as though there are not many other services and resources.
And honestly if there are elderly people homebound that have no other contact with the outside world other than a volunteer from MOW they need to be in some type of assisted living so they can be cared for.
Oh, I love it! Your answer is to put the fragile elderly in assisted living because ...well let's see, someone unworthy might get two dollars worth of food from meals on wheels and assisted living is SO much cheaper and better than helping a senior remain in their own home. You betcha'

Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

And whos going to pay for that?!!!
Meals on Wheels is a really cost effective way to have a quick home visit and receive a nutritious meal. It saves money.
Most of these people have other support but not regularly during the daytime on weekdays because their kids and neighbors work. They don't need a nursing home just because they benefit from this visit and meal in the middle of the day.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh, I love it! Your answer is to put the fragile elderly in assisted living because ...well let's see, someone unworthy might get two dollars worth of food from meals on wheels and assisted living is SO much cheaper and better than helping a senior remain in their own home. You betcha'
Its not about money its about health and safety. If they are that fragile its not a good idea for them to be left alone in their homes. There comes a point where its dangerous. You and some others paint this picture of a lonely home bound elderly person who gets no other food than one MOW meal a day (perhaps excluding saturday and sunday) and the only people they see are the delivery volunteers a few minutes a day when they drop off a meal. I dont believe it but in that situation the state would step in and see they were properly taken care of, elderly, children, handicapped, its neglect to be living alone with no other means to food, clothing, hygiene and medical care.
Maybe you live in a crappy community but here if you have signed up and gotten MOW those workers have evaluated your living situation and provided you with every available service, this includes home health care utilizing medical personnel when need, people to come to your home, help you bath, cook, clean whatever you need. Transportation to the Dr., filling prescriptions, shopping. If you for some reason refuse basic care and are unable to provide these things on your own you will be placed in a facility for your own health and safety not to save $2.

MOW is great but its not a matter of life or death and reducing the federal dollars to the block grant funding that may or many not even go to MOW which receives most of its funding from other sources is not life or death or anywhere close.
People have just become accustom to all the federal dollars funneled into many social service programs and dont want to give up the freebies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies