Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Meals on Wheels, you see, isn't a federal program. It's a network of thousands of independently run groups that receive varying amounts of government aid – or none at all. . . .But by far, the biggest source of federal funding for Meals on Wheels programs comes from another source: the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program, which is run by the Department Of Health and Human Services. In the aggregate, Bertolette says Meals on Wheels programs across the country rely on the HHS program for 35 percent of their funding."[/i]

Now that's a lot!
No doubt the potential for lost funding through the HHS and block grant funding depends on each individual organization. Some need federal funding more than others to provide enough meals for those who need them; others have plenty of local corporate, foundation, or individual donor support and don't rely as much on federal funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It looks like?

So that's what we go on now, it looks like? [/url]
It looks like you don't understand how Meals on Wheels works, how the individual programs are operated locally, or how the funding differs from the national organization and the local Meals on Wheels programs, some of which are standalone organizations, and others are part of a larger nonprofit organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt
I've read it honey.

There's a lot of blowback on this. It was the dumbest thing, domestically, the Trump administration has done so far.
I have a friend who is a dire trump supporter and the other day I mentioned in email its sad he is going to cut meals and wheels and of course they said to me "He isnt going to" and showed me some stupid article....

IT DOES SOUND LIKE HE WILL HURT THEM INDIRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Obama phones? Really?

That program, Lifeline, began in 1984 and was expanded twice: under Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. I can't believe we still have to correct this information.

Google Obama phones. It's an interesting read.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You do know that Meals on Wheels money comes thru the state. Its is distributed at the states discretion so MOW could be funded largely on federal funds or be given 0 federal funds depending what each individual state chooses to do with their share of federal block grant money.

I think you missed my point about Trump spending an outrageous amount of tax payer dollars every month on his weekly trip to his posh estate. What happened to the man that said that he would never leave the white house because there is so much work to be done? One of the reporters brought it up yesterday at the daily briefing and Spicer's response was. "Presidents travel." The reporter brought up that he could pay for meals on wheels if he stayed put in the white house. Spicer"I know what you're saying." Next question. I don't really care how it's funded, but I do care that our tax dollars are being wasted on a high maintenance rectum of a man that seems to care less about anyone else but the 1%. Think about how many people he could be feeding while he's out there playing golf every weekend.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No doubt the potential for lost funding through the HHS and block grant funding depends on each individual organization. Some need federal funding more than others to provide enough meals for those who need them; others have plenty of local corporate, foundation, or individual donor support and don't rely as much on federal funds.

It looks like you don't understand how Meals on Wheels works, how the individual programs are operated locally, or how the funding differs from the national organization and the local Meals on Wheels programs, some of which are standalone organizations, and others are part of a larger nonprofit organization.
Maybe I didn't make my point very well. I think there will actually be more money cut from MOW than the WH is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I have a friend who is a dire trump supporter and the other day I mentioned in email its sad he is going to cut meals and wheels and of course they said to me "He isnt going to" and showed me some stupid article....

IT DOES SOUND LIKE HE WILL HURT THEM INDIRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His supporters who receive, or whose family members receive MOW will be p*ssed when the cuts actually come. We need to judge Trump in a year, when the chickens have come home to roost for all these nutty ideas.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Google Obama phones. It's an interesting read.
The sites using the term "Obama phone" are perpetuating erroneous information. The program wasn't altered during his tenure.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've got that 3% of the BDGB funds went to the MoW programs. What I'm trying to figure out is how much of the MoW budget is due to federal funds.

This 3% of GDBG -- what percentage of MoW total funding?

Other federal funds -- What percentage of MoW total funding?
From what I have gathered it depends. There are 5000 community agencies that oversee the MOW program. The percentage of that block grant federal money each individual agency gets differs. Some dont use any where others possibly could use 100%, IDK. I would hope somewhere there are records and audits showing exactly how many of those dollars went where.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What makes you think we don't?

Just an FYI, prolific posters shouldn't attempt to shame others.

LOL, if you did, you wouldn't have all the time on your hands looking for something else to do. Just an alternative to spending all that time expressing such "concern" over a program that may lose some funding. More productive, although perhaps not as much fun in what passes for some of the liberal minds here, I'm sure, to help out where you can rather than finding another excuse to carry out your Trump bashing contests.

And FYI, any shame you feel regarding anything related to your activities, one way or the other, is on you, not someone else. I don't give a happy hoot one way or the other how you spend your time. And how much time I spend on CD can be filed under MYOB.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, if you did, you wouldn't have all the time on your hands looking for something else to do. Just an alternative to spending all that time expressing such "concern" over a program that may lose some funding. More productive, although perhaps not as much fun in what passes for some of the liberal minds here, I'm sure, to help out where you can rather than finding another excuse to carry out your Trump bashing contests.

And FYI, any shame you feel regarding anything related to your activities, one way or the other, is on you, not someone else. I don't give a happy hoot one way or the other how you spend your time. And how much time I spend on CD can be filed under MYOB.
You do not know what people do when they're not on CD. A lot of people use CD for relaxation after a long day of working. You know what happens when you assume!

I don't think the poster you responded to is feeling shame; she's referring to people attempting to shame. We've discussed many times over what people are doing for others. It still doesn't seem to get through some people's heads.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:15 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Older Americans Act Nutrition Program, Department Of Health and Human Services, provides 35 percent of their MoW funding.

"The White House has proposed slashing the Health and Human Services budget by nearly 18 percent, but the details of those cuts have not been released. Will the Older Americans Act Nutrition Program be affected? No way to know."

Could Meals On Wheels Really Lose Funding? Yes, But It's Hard To Say How Much : The Salt : NPR

This is thru HHS FY 2016-2017 ACL Budget Table:

FY 2017 ACL Budget Table

It appears roughly 11.5% of the budget goes to MOW.
Now we have 3% of the block grant and 11.5% of the HHS budget going to the overall program. As far as I can tell. Everyone seems quite confused about it. If you can make better sense of it, please.

Its hard just to track down the information because the money is filtered through so many different agencies and programs. Its a giant fluster cluck. Exactly why we need cuts and to streamline our government dollars. We have money taken from individual folks within a state (via taxes) and given to the federal government who in turn runs those same dollars thru multiple administrations that filter it back to the states where it is distributed to various other administrations to be distributed back to the people. How much more money could be used for the people if that money just stays in the state instead of going towards multiple administrators salaries and various agencies overhead.

There are as far as we know two sources of federal funding, various state and local funding and private donations and charities contributing to the MOW programs. Why are people whaling that the elderly are going to starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies