Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Embarrassing for actual Christians who understand that "Love your neighbor" is the primary commandment.
Loving your neighbor doesn't necessarily mean shifting responsibility to someone else (to the Federal Government). Christian behavior would mean getting your hiney off the couch, walking or driving to elderly or disabled family or neighbors and bringing them food, seeing if they need help with yardwork, or a ride to shopping or an appointment. It means thinking beyond your own self.
Sending a donation to a charity staffed with actual people who care, and that is mainly government funded is great and all, and may make most people feel all full of great feelings and that they are making a difference. Then the truly dedicated volunteers go door to door and actually do the work, but nothing says Christian Charity more than putting together some freezer meals or hot meals, getting in your car or walking next door, and hand delivering it yourself; sharing what you have to give to someone else. Even just sitting and visiting people is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
food is not expensive in this country no one is starving yes if you want to eat expensive you can. Lots of delivery services if someone isn't able to get to a store and buy food they should be in assisted living home anyway.
Seriously is your head that buried in the sand?

Hunger Facts & Poverty Statistics | Feeding America®

Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
What I find really sad is the FLIPPANT attitude that Trump supporters have to the issues facing people who are a lot like themselves. Absolutely no compassion.

This attitude is particularly prevalent among young, middle/upper middle class white women. They believe that poverty could NEVER happen to them. Who cares about poor people. As one of the posters said in this thread "in this country no one is starving".

Poverty does not necessarily have a black or brown face. Take heed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqoxJCTTxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNWgb75cIc

Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Who cares? Meals on wheels is not a federal program.
I don't need it, and voted for Trump, but I also help my mom and her elderly friends out with food, shopping and errands. The Food Pantry many of them go to has weekly delivery + a 30 lb. extra box of foodstuff. It is Church based, relies on public donations and also gets a whole lot from local grocery stores.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Seriously is your head that buried in the sand?

Hunger Facts & Poverty Statistics | Feeding America®
Then support policies that get abusers off the system and people wouldn't be so p*ssed off. By supporting and defending the abuse, you're part of the problem

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What I find really sad is the FLIPPANT attitude that Trump supporters have to the issues facing people who are a lot like themselves. Absolutely no compassion.

This attitude is particularly prevalent among young, middle/upper middle class white women. They believe that poverty could NEVER happen to them. Who cares about poor people. As one of the posters said in this thread "in this country no one is starving".

Poverty does not necessarily have a black or brown face. Take heed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqoxJCTTxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNWgb75cIc
How many Trump supporters do you really know, and of those, do any of them do their own footwork and use their own resources to help people?

Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 PM

[quote=Blondy;47546261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I never understood why we are subsidizing amtrak why don't we bring back the stage coach subsudize that too some good information here about it https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...-the-1-percent

An estimated 99 percent of Americans don't use the Northeast corridor at all. Those who do, as Amtrak boasts, are "highly educated, affluent and influential": 92 percent have college degrees and their average household income is well above the national median, clocking in at $170,000 a year. Yet, taxpayers are still on the hook for subsidizing $60 of each Amtrak ticket to fund the travel of the wealthy and well-connected.[/QUOTE

That also begs the question re how many seniors getting meals from Meals on Wheels could either pay more, or have adult children who could pay more for the convenience of having meals delivered to their parents.

Having had to feed my parents during temporary illnesses, I acknowledge it is a huge inconvenience/pain in the rear to have to do that. But, if a resource had been available that my parents would accept if I could have paid for it I would. Much of this so called problem may be solved by the adult children of the people getting meals simply paying more for delivery. I'm ok with that.
It IS hard, but there is always a window of time somewhere to throw together a weeks worth of food for them that they could pop in the microwave for meals during the week. Even more difficult to navigate is transportation to places. I take my mom to as many appointments as I can, or run errands for her on my lunch break or after work, but I am also glad that she is able to take CARTS (a bus service for handicapped and Senior Citizens) to many of her appointments or she can take a Cab Service like 10/10. Now, if THAT was disposed of, I might lose it :/

Old 03-17-2017, 09:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
gee. Wonder what they did before meals on wheels? Did they all starve?
Are you serious? MOW has been around since 1954. What did people do before then? Well, there weren't as many of them then. Life expectancy has only been increasing.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DlDuVfDa-F7K5A

Sorry if this is repetitious. I was just shocked to read such a heartless statement.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I don't need it, and voted for Trump, but I also help my mom and her elderly friends out with food, shopping and errands. The Food Pantry many of them go to has weekly delivery + a 30 lb. extra box of foodstuff. It is Church based, relies on public donations and also gets a whole lot from local grocery stores.
People on this forum frequently talk about their own personal situation. I'm sure I've done the same. Your mother is lucky she has a daughter who cares about her and is able to help. Not everyone has a family, however. Sometimes their children care, but they're also struggling to make ends meet. From what I've read here, there are many communities that support their local food programs with donations, which is great, but that does not mean those programs aren't necessary.

There's an expression about getting it straight from the horse's mouth, so I'm going to quote the [URL="http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/national/press-room/2017/03/16/meals-on-wheels-america-statement-on-budget-blueprint"]Meals on Wheels website[/URL]

“The problem with a skinny budget is it is lean on details. So, while we don’t know the exact impact yet, cuts of any kind to these highly successful and leveraged programs would be a devastating blow to our ability to provide much-needed care for millions of vulnerable seniors in America, which in turn saves billions of dollars in reduced healthcare expenses” said Ellie Hollander, President and CEO Meals on Wheels America.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
People on this forum frequently talk about their own personal situation. I'm sure I've done the same. Your mother is lucky she has a daughter who cares about her and is able to help. Not everyone has a family, however. Sometimes their children care, but they're also struggling to make ends meet. From what I've read here, there are many communities that support their local food programs with donations, which is great, but that does not mean those programs aren't necessary.

There's an expression about getting it straight from the horse's mouth, so I'm going to quote the Meals on Wheels website

“The problem with a skinny budget is it is lean on details. So, while we don’t know the exact impact yet, cuts of any kind to these highly successful and leveraged programs would be a devastating blow to our ability to provide much-needed care for millions of vulnerable seniors in America, which in turn saves billions of dollars in reduced healthcare expenses” said Ellie Hollander, President and CEO Meals on Wheels America.
Total and complete b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies