Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Good lord man, did you not know that WE the little guys are paying out the rear to help the fat cats?
Help the fat cats what? What do you think you're paying that they are not?

The IRS publishes tax return data every year. Take a guess which income group pays the highest average effective federal income tax rate. And then take a guess what average effective federal income tax rate someone with a $52,000 income (average US income, therefore, middle class) pays...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 05:34 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What a great grandma. She sounds wonderful. And this is the way it used to be....people helping each other without regard to themselves. I always thought this was god's way. But I'm wrong because now many are just out for themselves and could care less about those less fortunate.
People, in general, stopped thinking the responsibility was personally theirs when the government took on programs like this and they figured their 'contribution' was then satisfied from their taxes.
Perhaps cuts like this will cause a shift back to taking these types of things more personally again.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Default Meals on Wheels is not federally funded

Meals on Wheels is NOT federally funded. A block of funds is given to the states from which the states determine whether or not to fund meals on wheels.
The Great Meals on Wheels Debacle, Explained | Mother Jones

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What a great grandma. She sounds wonderful. And this is the way it used to be....people helping each other without regard to themselves. I always thought this was god's way. But I'm wrong because now many are just out for themselves and could care less about those less fortunate.
That would be those on the left... Always wanting SOMEONE ELSE to pay and SOMEONE ELSE to volunteer instead of stepping up themselves. Just read this thread... It's crystal clear. And it's disgusting.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post

If you're going to put it out there, expect a response. If it's not from me, it'll be from someone else I'm sure. ]
Oh, of course. This is the Internet, and what you did is a common tactic on mesage boards, pretending a post is something other than it was in order to say what you want to say. People do it all the time. I personally think it's rather stupid, but I also know it's certainly not something I can change!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I love how the anti-Christian libs suddenly become "Christians" when subjects like this are discussed.
They "claim" to be, but they won't put their money or their volunteer efforts where their mouths are. They always want SOMEONE ELSE to pay and SOMEONE ELSE to volunteer instead of stepping up themselves. Just read this thread... It's crystal clear. And it's disgusting.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
So I did some research and found (according to Snopes) that Meals on Wheels gets about 3% of it money from federal grants.
That leaves 97% of the initial budget.
I also found that one Meals on Wheels foundation's 990 ( the only one I looked at) had several people on the payroll for around $90,000 and up. I suspect there is a little fat that could be cut in their budget.
Finally if everyone who is so incensed about the proposed budget would put their money where their mouth (or posts) is this would not be an issue at all.
Bingo. This is the real information that the media will gloss over, because it's a lot more fun to put out a headline saying TRUMP IS CUTTING MEALS ON WHEELS

Old 03-18-2017, 06:27 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Bingo. This is the real information that the media will gloss over, because it's a lot more fun to put out a headline saying TRUMP IS CUTTING MEALS ON WHEELS
Lol, Geek, but a) I posted the 3% info very early in the thread and it was ignored because extremists from both sides just want to shriek, and b) the headline in the OP's article doesn't mention Meals On Wheels at all. Look at it. I know it's trendy and popular in some sets to trash the NYT, but the article is really pretty factual once you get past their obvious disdain for Trump in the opening paragraphs.

My overall point here is my ever-present lamentation about Americans in general: PEOPLE DON'T READ.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Yep agree and I must admit I didn't take the time to read the entire article.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, Geek, but a) I posted the 3% info very early in the thread and it was ignored because extremists from both sides just want to shriek, and b) the headline in the OP's article doesn't mention Meals On Wheels at all. Look at it. I know it's trendy and popular in some sets to trash the NYT, but the article is really pretty factual once you get past their obvious disdain for Trump in the opening paragraphs.

My overall point here is my ever-present lamentation about Americans in general: PEOPLE DON'T READ.
Not only do most people not read, they don't have critical thinking skills. It's a lot easier to have someone fill their brain with populist garbage, have someone else determine their political thinking, have someone else tell them what are "facts" and what are "alternative facts". This is precisely how we got Donald Trump, nothing more or less than a glorified shyster real estate agent, as President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies