Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If you accept it as "pure nastiness", perhaps; many of us don't.
Bureaucrats aren't motivated, or disciplined, by the natural forces of free markets; they like to think of themselves as "dealing with a problem", but if the "problem" is "solved", then they, the bureaucratic middle(wo)men, no longer have a role to play.
A lot of us who hold to conservative values don't have too much of an issue with the simple existence of a societal "safety net"; we understand, after all, that the increasingly mobile nature of our economy might leave us high-and-dry at some point in the future.
The problem we have is with the relatively small, but powerful clique at the top of Meals-on-Wheels and similar programs; we can assure you that they would fight any attempt to return control over the program to somewhere closer to the local community, because not only would it become easier to identify and exclude anyone actuallly defrauding the system; it would leave them without a role to play, thereby threatening their "soft job" and paycheck.
So they hide behind a supposed need for "protection" of their poster-child clientele.
No, it is nastiness, just pure unmitigated meanness, dress that pig up all you want but it's still a pig. I've volunteered to drive for meals on wheels and it's heart warming to deliver food to people when it's the only hot meal they eat that day and many times you are the only adult they have to communicate with. You should close the Ayn Rand books once in awhile and get out and try it, it might change your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I sure hope you are using these same parameters with Trump's speeches and Tweets!
I actually don't listen to his speeches or read his tweets. I suppose I should, but I haven't listened to any of his speeches since Inauguration Day. I'm not a Twitter follower, though I do have an account I set up once.

Hey, I talked to him on the phone back in 2014. He said I was terrific. I found that to be very factual. I got off the phone and went and told my boss, "I'm terrific. Donald Trump said so." Kept that up all day, lol.

Never at that time did I dream that he would be President of the United States.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:45 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
The FEDERAL government is not SUPPOSED to be doing 90% of the things it does in the first place.

A whole heck of a lot more things need to be cut.

Charity was never meant to be a gun pointed at your head forcing you to hand over your money to the government so that it can re-distribute how *IT* pleases.

Government uses force against one group of people, robs them and gives the money to another group of people which in the end can cause bitterness to take root, instead of compassion. Think about that.

A people divided are WEAK.
The government has NO compassion.
Instead it destroys compassion and pits people against each other, in every way possible.

We are a far, far, far way off from what the United States was intended to be.

Meals on Wheels should not be a FEDERAL government program.
It should be LOCAL/COMMUNITY and voluntary charities including family.
Even families are weak and torn apart these days.

peace,
sparrow

Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, it is nastiness, just pure unmitigated meanness, dress that pig up all you want but it's still a pig. I've volunteered to drive for meals on wheels and it's heart warming to deliver food to people when it's the only hot meal they eat that day and many times you are the only adult they have to communicate with. You should close the Ayn Rand books once in awhile and get out and try it, it might change your life
Sine you, on your high horse, have apparently decided that I'm to be stereotyped as some sort of intellectual recluse, let me inform you that I spend about half of my time in a rural community, and have already participated in assisting two sets of elderly relatives on "the ride downhill". I understand too well that the elderly have to be served locally and personally, and that while most are decent and harmless, their quirks can often be part of the problem. (See Post # 104 of this thread).

Cutting Meals on Wheels? Really?

The problems currently confronting us (and central to our current polarization) are the fruit of too much faith in Big Brother -- of overgrown Snowflake children expecting too much confronted by mature adults who have lived long enough to understand how things actually have to get done. We've already established that few of us want to abolish Meals-on-Wheels; we just wasn't to weed out the professional bureaucratic paper-shufflers hiding behind emotional rhetoric.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sine you, on your high horse, have apparently decided that I'm to be stereotyped as some sort of intellectual recluse, let me inform you that I spend about half of my time in a rural community, and have already participated in assisting two sets of elderly relatives on "the ride downhill". I understand too well that the elderly have to be served locally and personally, and that while most are decent and harmless, their quirks can often be part of the problem. (See Post # 104 of this thread).
The problems currently confronting us (and central to our current polarization) are the fruit of too much faith in Big Brother -- of overgrown Snowflake children expecting too much confronted by mature adults who have lived long enough to understand how things actually have to get done. We've already established that few of us want to abolish Meals-on-Wheels; we just wasn't to weed out the professional bureaucratic paper-shufflers hiding behind emotional rhetoric.
You indict an entire program because someone didn't get vegetarian meals? wow... And I'm not sure what 'snowflake children' have to do with issue unless you just like using that phrase. And how is cutting the funding of Meals on Wheels going to 'weed out professional paper shufflers', which I am not aware of even existed. It's a locally run program, you have a problem with how it's run in your community volunteer to help administer it, but please don't buy into the perverse logic of cutting their funding.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
A lot has happened since I last posted obviously. When Obama cut the program back in 2009 by 50% it was because at least 50% of the fund could not be accounted for. We still have 26% that goes to "handling" the money allocated. Another 24% still can not be accounted for - some of which are bad records.

Folks it's like anything else - a well meaning program but the money is being eaten up by the bureaucracy or mishandled and the folks who need it aren't getting what they should. Clean out all the red tape and there is more than enough money to go around. We don't need the multiple levels of red tape and fees associated with it.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:49 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
MQ I've been saying the same thing since '92 when I voted for Perot.
I voted for Perot, too.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:58 PM

11,795 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You indict an entire program because someone didn't get vegetarian meals? wow... And I'm not sure what 'snowflake children' have to do with issue unless you just like using that phrase. And how is cutting the funding of Meals on Wheels going to 'weed out professional paper shufflers', which I am not aware of even existed. It's a locally run program, you have a problem with how it's run in your community volunteer to help administer it, but please don't buy into the perverse logic of cutting their funding.
You fail to understand that the state applies for the funding - then each county applies for the funding to the state - then each town applies for the funding from the county. You don't have a locally run program until the money makes it's way to you through all the channels from the Federal gov't.

Instead of blaming the Federal gov't - why not go talk to your state, county and town representatives who have put this program at risk through the mindless paperwork and administrative costs.

Some states actually also help by giving money to Meals on Wheels through the Community Development Block Grant but again - the officials use it to their advantage and not what it was meant for. A pretty well to do town in California applied and received approx. $780,000. The gave $2000 to the homeless shelter and spent the rest on improving the sidewalks and landscaping around an elementary school. The project should have only cost at the most $300,000 but the town officials said all the money was used for it.

This is exactly why - Trump won - officials - no matter the party - do not feel they have to be accountable to the people who elected them and spend money that is suppose to help the community on other things.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You fail to understand that the state applies for the funding - then each county applies for the funding to the state - then each town applies for the funding from the county. You don't have a locally run program until the money makes it's way to you through all the channels from the Federal gov't.

Instead of blaming the Federal gov't - why not go talk to your state, county and town representatives who have put this program at risk through the mindless paperwork and administrative costs.

Some states actually also help by giving money to Meals on Wheels through the Community Development Block Grant but again - the officials use it to their advantage and not what it was meant for. A pretty well to do town in California applied and received approx. $780,000. The gave $2000 to the homeless shelter and spent the rest on improving the sidewalks and landscaping around an elementary school. The project should have only cost at the most $300,000 but the town officials said all the money was used for it.

This is exactly why - Trump won - officials - no matter the party - do not feel they have to be accountable to the people who elected them and spend money that is suppose to help the community on other things.
You're giving Trump supporters way too much credit. Most of them went for "bring manufacturing jobs back to the US" or "build a wall on the Mexican border".

Old 03-18-2017, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

You're giving Trump supporters way too much credit. Most of them went for "bring manufacturing jobs back to the US" or "build a wall on the Mexican border".

The opinions expressed on here about MOW, regardless of whether the money was being mishandled, are appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies