Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 04:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're giving Trump supporters way too much credit. Most of them went for "bring manufacturing jobs back to the US" or "build a wall on the Mexican border".
You are giving me too much credit. I went for "**** the liberals off"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
then start one and come back and tell the rest of us how to do it, ok?
Read my posts in this thread on partnering with local companies for MoW. Search the thread for the word "catered."

Now if only the incessantly whiny left would stop expecting EVERYONE ELSE to pay for and do everything and put THEIR money/time where their mouths are, maybe more of these types of needs can be met.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/u...cuts.html?_r=0

In addition to the cuts at the E.P.A. and the State Department, Mr. Trump’s team is expected to propose a wide array of cuts to public education, to transportation programs like Amtrak and to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the complete elimination of the $3 billion Community Development Block Grant program, which funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts.

I remember my husband's 99 year old grandmother getting meals from them. Guess she should have gone out and gotten a job!
Fake News....NY Times also said Trump didn't pay taxes for 20 years....LIARS.

Here's a question for liberals, are ya'll really that stupid or just pretending to be super stupid? Do you guys have any idea how the legislative process works? Do you know that President Trump is not an autocratic King? Just wondering how dumb ya'll really are.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
You're giving Trump supporters way too much credit. Most of them went for "bring manufacturing jobs back to the US" or "build a wall on the Mexican border".

The opinions expressed on here about MOW, regardless of whether the money was being mishandled, are appalling.
And the other 90% of people who voted for Trump did it because Hillary was a worse option. People didn't support Trump as much as they absolutely did not want Hillary. I doubt a Hillary supporter could see that.

Meals on Wheels is losing at most 3% of their funding, and the way the math of politics and taxes work it probably isn't even a real loss, just a smaller increase than expected. But that would get in the way of the self righteous rants of the Trump haters.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:

Speaking for myself, I could care less about "building a wall" or sustaining questionable manufacturing. A lot of independents voted for Trump, or Johnson, or stayed home simply because scheming Darling Hillary was viewed as the far greater of two evils.

At this point, I would be delighted if Trump, and a sensible conservative Congress did as little as possible to interfere with the natural order of things; we should easily be able to sustain a "safety net" if it's locally policed, and remain in enough readiness to deal with the people who hate and threaten us when an actual threat is identified. The rest can be sorted out by open markets and the rule of law, rather than the whims of Big Brother/Sister and their infantile clientele.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The States are the ones who fund programs such as meals on wheels. Your complaint should be with your State if they cut that program.
The states are the ones who administer the money they receive from the Federal Block Grants. Federal Block Grants come from the Federal Government.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
We have to make cuts to stop adding to the huge debt burden we have. But things like Meals on Wheels and education should be last, not first, on the cutting block. And military certainly should not get more money.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And the other 90% of people who voted for Trump did it because Hillary was a worse option. People didn't support Trump as much as they absolutely did not want Hillary. I doubt a Hillary supporter could see that.

Meals on Wheels is losing at most 3% of their funding, and the way the math of politics and taxes work it probably isn't even a real loss, just a smaller increase than expected. But that would get in the way of the self righteous rants of the Trump haters.
And our local news reported that volunteers and donations have seen a huge increase after this news. People and churches will pick up the slack when they think it's needed, and actually do a much better job.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:59 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Did anyone think that one can do the same with a lower budget and how much surplus was there at the end of the year?

UPDATE: Budget surplus projection reduced by $94 million, could ...

http://www.wkow.com/.../2016/.../wis...according-to-l...
Jan 21, 2016 - UPDATE: Budget surplus projection reduced by $94 million, could kill ... I think we have to be very cautious about spending, I think that's what our ... Local Meals on Wheels program director: any federal cut would be "devastating" ... but many families who've experienced stillbirth say it's not about the money.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM

336 posts, read 378,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You fail to understand that the state applies for the funding - then each county applies for the funding to the state - then each town applies for the funding from the county. You don't have a locally run program until the money makes it's way to you through all the channels from the Federal gov't.

Instead of blaming the Federal gov't - why not go talk to your state, county and town representatives who have put this program at risk through the mindless paperwork and administrative costs.

Some states actually also help by giving money to Meals on Wheels through the Community Development Block Grant but again - the officials use it to their advantage and not what it was meant for. A pretty well to do town in California applied and received approx. $780,000. The gave $2000 to the homeless shelter and spent the rest on improving the sidewalks and landscaping around an elementary school. The project should have only cost at the most $300,000 but the town officials said all the money was used for it.
This is pretty typical of the way many Federal grant programs operate.

Counties receive so much Federal money from so many sources that the intended purpose of grant money is sometimes lost. I previously managed a $100 million Federal grant program, and, every year, I would get calls from recently hired county treasurers asking what the money was for. I couldn't tell them much aside from their state contact because I had allocated the money to the state, and it was the state that decided to fund some project proposed by the county (which I knew nothing about). The treasurer saw money in the county's bank account and they no idea who in their office had requested the funds (or they knew but that person had recently left/retired). County treasurers would often ask, "can we use the money for {X} instead," and all I could do was refer them to their state contact.

At the end of the year (after the fact), I received a report from the state summarizing the funded projects in each county, but I had no way of knowing whether the counties actually spent the funds on those projects. One could argue that there should be more oversight of taxpayer dollars, but that would create more bureaucracy. Generally speaking, there's probably one Federal employee for every $100 million in money granted to all 50 states, and then one person (state government employee) in every state who is responsible for doling out those monies to counties and local governments.

On FoxNews and conservative news sites, We routinely hear about how Federal tax dollars were "wasted" on some obsecure project, but, 99.99% of the time, it was the state that decided to approve that project and the Federal Government's only role was to provide grant money to the state for broad purposes such as affordable housing, food assistance, help for the needy or unemployed, etc.

Last edited by VAGeek; 03-18-2017 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies