Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If it had been Bush who appointed this judge, or god forbid Trump, you guys would be having a meltdown about it.

The judge was a Democrat appointment nominated by Bill Clinton.
Can you tell us what you think about the actual story posted by OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If it had been Bush who appointed this judge, or god forbid Trump, you guys would be having a meltdown about it.

The judge was a Democrat appointment nominated by Bill Clinton.
It's a fairly middle of the road circuit overall.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Originally Posted by steven_h

Erm... no citizen can walk up to a home knock on the door and if the owner is pointing a gun at him/her shoot him/her. Only the police can do this, and they spin everything as reasonable.

Cops, while I respect the nature of their work, have become spin doctors themselves. This makes it possible for some really bad ones to get away with really bad deeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Some jurisdictions have stand your ground laws that extend to anywhere a person can legally be. Sorry but if someone points a gun at your head I'm pretty sure the courts would be lenient if you shot first.

Of course cops have more leeway because in their work they are going after criminals, they are shot at.
Good rule of thumb is dont point your gun at a cop. In this case the cops followed an assault suspect to that particular building. They were going door to door looking for him. Door opens, bam, guy pointing a gun in their face. I can see where both courts ruled in favor of the officer. Who opens their door pointing a gun?
You led off with the premise that somewhere it may be legal, and then said you're "pretty sure" a court would be lenient if you shot that person.

Sorry, no. Any stranger knocking on a door at 1-2-3-4am should very well expect there will likely be a gun behind that door.

Conversely, if said person knocks on that strange door at 1-2-3-4am and is armed and kills the occupant of the home for wielding a gun... that is murder, and most likely premeditated.

Cops are not supposed to be above the law. Seems to be heading that way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You believe the cops, huh???
I used to myself, but... not so much anymore. In this case it should have been intentional manslaughter at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You just said yourself there was an assault suspect who fled to that particular building.

That's a pretty good reason to answer the door with a gun don't you think?
...and then there's that!

When all is said and done, liberal judges always seem to side with the criminals, especially when they're cops.

Last edited by steven_h; 03-21-2017 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
Okay Scott had a gun. The offcers probably shot him because he wasn't obeying officers order, that happens. When you point a gun at a police officer they have that right to protect themselves.
You do know more and more criminals announce them as police nowadays, right?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:21 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Cops can legally shoot you anywhere and for any reason they deem fit and suffer no consequence.
It helps to view them as the predators they are.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I do not own a gun, therefore I would not have answered the door in the middle of the night without more information. That they announced themselves as Police would not have mattered.

I would have called 911 and my neighbors. Police can be at my door in about 1 minute. Neighbors in a matter of seconds.

There seems to be a dispute if the gun was aimed at the officer or pointed down.

I was not there and do not have access to all the information that was available to the court.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I do not own a gun, therefore I would not have answered the door in the middle of the night without more information. That they announced themselves as Police would not have mattered.

I would have called 911 and my neighbors. Police can be at my door in about 1 minute. Neighbors in a matter of seconds.

There seems to be a dispute if the gun was aimed at the officer or pointed down.

I was not there and do not have access to all the information that was available to the court.
One thing for sure...the cops will ALWAYS cover for their own. That's why I no longer trust their testimony. They wont bury their cohorts no matter what. And everyone knows it.

They're always gonna make sure that their stories all jibe and completely fit the narrative.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The increasing militarization of the police is a problem that has needed to be addressed for a long time, but unfortunately it was hijacked by the BLM and other SJW groups and made in to a racial issue, which allowed it to devolve into a white vs black emotionally charged issue that completely ignored what was at the root of a problem Americans of all races share. It was almost as if it had been designed that way.
cool so minorities are getting shot and murdered and now it is their fault.

Video is the only reason we are even being made aware of the abuses. Until recently cops have just been killing people and lying about it. it will not be that long before there are so many cameras that we will be able to sue cities that protect lying cops into the dirt. Take enough money from a city and they will mend their ways.

And the good news is, Trump is such a thug the ACLU is going to have money to support a lot more people.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times
Do not have a gun in your hand, if the police knock on your door, Do not open your door, with a gun in your hand.

If the Police see a gun in your hand after your door is opened. They will most likely demand that you drop your gun, if you don't drop your gun, you will be most likely shot to death.

This should be a (PSA), public service announcement, shown on TV every night. This will save many lives of Dumb people.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Do not have a gun in your hand, if the police knock on your door, Do not open your door, with a gun in your hand.

If the Police see a gun in your hand after your door is opened. They will most likely demand that you drop your gun, if you don't drop your gun, you will be most likely shot to death.

This should be a (PSA), public service announcement, shown on TV every night. This will save many lives of Dumb people.
If the cops got the wrong address and Scott hadn't broken any laws then it would have been a reasonable assumption on his part that the cops were actually robbers posing as cops since there would have been no legitimate reason for the cops to be at his door in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies