Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I was not aware of this law.
A New Jersey Law That's Kept Smart Guns Off Shelves Nationwide : All Tech Considered : NPR

Now that I am aware of it, I am vehemently opposed to there EVER being a smart gun sold in the US. Stupid laws like the one mentioned above will make owning a SAFE firearm illegal.

Now... let's throw something else out there. Civil war breaks out after States like NJ implement their ban on conventional firearms. The government (will NEVER be limited by such a law) wants to quell the people rising up against it and sets off EMP all over. The 2nd Amendment, the ability to throw off a tyrannical government was just destroyed.

No smart gun technology for me, EVER.

The above law is EXACTLY what I was referring to when I talk about people on your side of this issue. At first it's a choice... then it becomes mandatory. Incrementalism at disarming the population.
Sounds like a good argument against the NJ law, not the technology itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 03:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sounds like a good argument against the NJ law, not the technology itself.

I made the argument against the tech in the same post. You and I don't have access to EMP strike capability, but you can bet your tail the government does.

Besides... what will prevent another similar law from being imposed AFTER the sale of a smart gun? Let's say at a national level? Nothing, that's what.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM

4,900 posts, read 2,054,437 times
Before I would ever think about buying a "smart gun," I want to see all the law enforcement agencies and the entire U.S. Military switch over to this technology... It will never happen since that "technology" isn't 100% foolproof and they know it.

I don't fear my government or do I believe in any anti government conspiracy B.S. theories, but at the same time, I'm not willing to bet my life or the lives of my family memberson something that can rendered inoperative by using reverse "technology" by whomever.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Before I would ever think about buying a "smart gun," I want to see all the law enforcement agencies and the entire U.S. Military switch over to this technology... It will never happen since that "technology" isn't 100% foolproof and they know it.

I don't fear my government or do I believe in any anti government conspiracy B.S. theories, but at the same time, I'm not willing to bet my life or the lives of my family memberson something that can rendered inoperative by using reverse "technology" by whomever.
Our entire energy grid is dependent upon technology that could be rendered inoperative. So, should we try to improve the technology, or all give up electricity?

Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
This question was inspired by another thread here, but it's not really part of that thread.

Why do people oppose "smart" guns, which can only be fired by authorized users? Seems to me like a good way to keep children from accidentally shooting someone, or to prevent an intruder from killing a homeowner with that person's own firearm?

I am not asking to start an argument, I just honestly want to know if there are any good arguments against this technology.
let me put it to you this way, lets say you are armed with a "smart gun", and you are walking down the street with an acquaintance, someone NOT authorized to use your firearm. now lets say that for some reason you get into a gun fight with, lets say, two people, for what ever reason.

you are wounded and cant use the firearm, but since you have a smart gun, your acquaintance also cannot use the smart gun. thus you are now essentially unarmed. if that smart gun had been a run of the mill gun, your acquaintance could take up your defense with your gun.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:02 PM

59,018 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
This question was inspired by another thread here, but it's not really part of that thread.

Why do people oppose "smart" guns, which can only be fired by authorized users? Seems to me like a good way to keep children from accidentally shooting someone, or to prevent an intruder from killing a homeowner with that person's own firearm?

I am not asking to start an argument, I just honestly want to know if there are any good arguments against this technology.
It has been discussed on this site multiple times.

Short answer, because it does NOT work.

Too many things can go wrong when a gun is needed.

It has to be able to be fired by more then 1 person.

If "bad guys" can hack the federal gov't agencies, your credit card, laptop, smart phone etc.what makes you think your "smart"' gun cannot be hacked?

The list is wrong.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
let me put it to you this way, lets say you are armed with a "smart gun", and you are walking down the street with an acquaintance, someone NOT authorized to use your firearm. now lets say that for some reason you get into a gun fight with, lets say, two people, for what ever reason.

you are wounded and cant use the firearm, but since you have a smart gun, your acquaintance also cannot use the smart gun. thus you are now essentially unarmed. if that smart gun had been a run of the mill gun, your acquaintance could take up your defense with your gun.
I'm not claiming that they are a perfect solution. But it does seem that they have the potential to help prevent tragedies like that two-year-old who killed his brother, or prevent home intruders from using the homeowner's weapons against them, which has been known to happen.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM

59,018 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We used to teach gun safety in school.
We used to be able to TAKE our guns to school.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
I'm not claiming that they are a perfect solution. But it does seem that they have the potential to help prevent tragedies like that two-year-old who killed his brother, or prevent home intruders from using the homeowner's weapons against them, which has been known to happen.
there are far better ways to prevent issues like the ones you list here. smart guns are a stupid idea pushed by shortsighted people who generally never look at the large picture.

you want to improve gun safety, and that is a noble quest. but the best safety device ever created is right between a person ears, too bad too many people do not use that safety device.

and the best way to prevent criminals from using a homeowners gun against them is for the homeowner to use the gun first against the intruder, and for the locals to honor the homeowners instead of excoriate them.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:

The only places there seems to be a problem, is the killing fields run by democrats.
The sea of red, doesn't see the need to make firearms anymore expensive than they are, so the poor cannot protect themselves from bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies