Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
it is almost as if Trump hates the very people who scraped him over the bar.

If it were not so sad it would be funny as hell.
You just hit the nail on the head! Trump is an elitist..has always been one--just look at his life...one trophy after another. How anyone ever thought he cared about the poor, working class is truly beyond me.

He callously used the rural folk...the country people. Do you really think he sits and watches reruns of Duck Dynasty? Pops a coupla brews and watches NASCAR?

He has nothing but contempt for his base...they are there to be used..and he uses them.

Simple..and as sad..as that.

..And they lap it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
With less Amtrak access, less ability to fly, people in many rural areas are going to be stranded
Losing EAS also has an impact on business and industry located in these isolated areas - Bradford, Pa., for instance, home of Zippo and Case. The airport can make a difference in whether industry comes and goes.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
I lived in a rural community that had this type of air service. It was a joke. It was so expensive you were better off driving 90 min to Lubbock and catching a flight for 1/4 of the cost.

They need to shut down that program. It only benefits the rich people in town.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I lived in a rural community that had this type of air service. It was a joke. It was so expensive you were better off driving 90 min to Lubbock and catching a flight for 1/4 of the cost.

You speak for every community in America? There are issues no doubt. Some the subsidy is 74 dollars per passenger and others 800. Kind of a wide range. Also, did this rural town have state maintained roads that only served a few large land owners?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I live 300 miles north of Detroit. The two nearest airports are 15 miles and 70 miles away and the cost of the flights out of these airports is so prohibitively expensive that we regularly travel out of Detroit instead.
I can get a flight from Detroit to London for $700, cost from one of the regional airports is closer to $1300. Fuel and parking do not cost me that extra $500, add to that there are very limited flights out of these regional airports and honestly any evidence of EAS actually being effective is just not there.

Ending EAS won't stop people flying, we live in rural areas and are used to traveling for services.
I concur. I believe some folks on this thread have no idea how expensive these flights are. It's outrageous.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
You speak for every community in America? There are issues no doubt. Some the subsidy is 74 dollars per passenger and others 800. Kind of a wide range. Also, did this rural town have state maintained roads that only served a few large land owners?
Very few state maintained roads. Very, very red town. You could "smell the tea" fifty miles away. A lot of rich people lived in beautiful houses that were only accessible by DIRT roads. These were cantankerous people who while crimson red Republican, lived off many, many federal subsidies.

You'd have to live there to experience it. The ones who clean out are the "airlines".

Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
You just hit the nail on the head! Trump is an elitist..has always been one--just look at his life...one trophy after another. How anyone ever thought he cared about the poor, working class is truly beyond me.

He callously used the rural folk...the country people. Do you really think he sits and watches reruns of Duck Dynasty? Pops a coupla brews and watches NASCAR?

He has nothing but contempt for his base...they are there to be used..and he uses them.

Simple..and as sad..as that.

..And they lap it up.
Bannon him feeds him the hourly/daily tidbits parsed in focused Trumpster speak.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:

Ours was America West based Mesa. And could reasonably priced fly Phoenix - SLC and even get some late day skiing in. They took airline miles points like any other.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Very few state maintained roads. Very, very red town. You could "smell the tea" fifty miles away. A lot of rich people lived in beautiful houses that were only accessible by DIRT roads. These were cantankerous people who while crimson red Republican, lived off many, many federal subsidies.

You'd have to live there to experience it. The ones who clean out are the "airlines".
What about the Alaskan communities that are inaccessible most of the year by road? Some off them are oil fields and mining. When you just kill a program rather than scaling it back you often throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Ya gotta love how he is screwing his base. Though many don't have any use for them danged flying machines.

It is not what your country can do for you, it is what can you do for your country.
Wasn't that a Republican that said that? LOL!

The me, myself & I generation, wants to keep unsustainable programs going.
If it is not self funding, it is not a good business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies