Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are Republicans playing politics with Obamacare repeal?

Several years of saying that Obamacare is evil
Now that republicans have a mandate
Republicans refuse to repeal Obamacare
What aren't the Republicans playing politics with? They've played this stupid game for 8 years with Boehner and with Obama in office. Now they are doing it again with Ryan. Kind of makes you wonder if it is them? No wonder Ryan didn't want the job. It sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 04:40 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Just leave it alone, it will continue to implode. The Democrats will continue to own the entire failed mess. A fitting end for a fringe party who has never once made any effort to correct the obvious and massive failures of a ridiculous scheme they alone passed over the will of the American people.
And a "ruling party" just sits there watching things fail? Is this how they work for American people?

Old 03-24-2017, 04:40 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Maybe in some cases but most times it doesn't work.

My wife had to go to emergency once (but wasn't admitted) and so I had to pay $150 + doctors fee as he wasn't in the network. Bill was about $1000 (she's there like an hour and talked to Dr maybe for 20 mins). After trying for several months bill came down to $700. Yeah huge saving there

You are talking about drs; you can't negotiate even with damn dentists. I had a baby tooth that needed filling when I was in spain. I could have gone to government hospital but decided to go to a private dentist and see how much he charges. 50 euros next day appointment. That was in 2006. I came here in 2007. didn't have dental insurance. Filling was needed again. I shopped around. Minimum was $350 so yeah shop around does work with doctors
The price wouldn't have been $1000 in the first place were it not for insurance companies and the mass quantities of people on Medicare who should not be on Medicare. Medicare has its place, yes, but not for the amount of people who are on it right now.

Instead of having a $1000 bill, it could have been a $500 bill, or even a $200 bill. Then you would negotiate from there and knock off another chunk. You can't think of this in terms of pricing that you see right now, because the prices would plummet if we had free market.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:42 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Trump campaign promise was that he would repeal it
Did he lie?
Yup. He lied. So did the Republicans.

With 24 million people enrolled, there was no way the law would ever be repealed without a lot of politician's heads on the chopping block. Lying is a lot safer than losing your cushy job in Congress.

And repeal sounded good last summer, back when few expected Trump would actually win.

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
There is NO WAY to implement the ACA where costs go down. Remember, you can't use the magic government marker and declare all subsidies as invisible when evaluating market costs. It was like saying the Prius was cost effective for 35k AFTER the manufacturer used the 50k subsidy to make it that price. It is just... lying to ones self.

The ACA (or any plan that allows preexisting conditions and the numerous handouts and collusions that the ACA is) can only INCREASE costs, increasing prices, increasing burden until it prices itself out of reachability for all.

This is why conservatives would not vote for this bill.
Cost growth has slowed down since ACA was passed. Of course, the most effective system is a system where people can afford to go to the doctor and spot that cancer early instead of at stage 4 after a year of postponing the doctor's appointment. That means Medicare-for-all. But as long as people like you support big pharma and big insurance being free to corrupt the political process through massive amounts of bribery, its tough to get good legislation passed for the 99%.

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup.
I predicted over 4 years ago that once the ACA was in place millions of uninsured people who had never had insurance before would sign up. Now that over 24 million are enrolled and getting regular health care for the first time, there was no way they were going to give it up.

That should have been obvious to all from the first year's signups. They weren't just poor people; most are middle class and are working full-time or multiple part-time jobs. Many are at the age when they are still too young to qualify for Medic Care, but old enough to have begun to develop the chronic health problems that start in middle age.

Our private health insurance industry was breaking down massively long before Obama was elected. Once anyone has no health insurance, yearly check-ups quit being yearly. So a medical condition that's easily treated at first is allowed to become so bad a trip to the Emergency Room is needed.

When a family can't pay the hospital bill, the county has to pay it or watch the hospital close. The poorest counties had the most expensive bills to pay. The poorest states' strongest economic spots became stunted because the state had to take up the burden of paying what the counties could not.

Common sense dictated only a national solution would ever stop this daisy chain of misery.

The ACA was over-compromised on its passage, and is over-regulated in use. At the same time, it does not do enough to help our healthiest people, and those most able to afford private health care. Some areas in in need more regulation, just to keep it fair for all. The cost of drugs and medicines is still a huge grey area that remains un-addressed.

But that doesn't change the facts. It's cheaper by far to keep a healthy person healthy, or a person who is just becoming ill to return him to help than any other alternative we have. Period. Everything else ends up costing us all much, much more, and only serves to make us all more unhealthy. Going from one emergency to another with the most expensive methods most often used is no way to live a life or run a country.

This was a golden opportunity for the Republican party to show they are truly compassionate, conservative, and wise leaders. They had 7 1/2 years to study the law, determine what it needs to be much better and more efficient, and the time to explain to their voters why it is a good idea but a bad law.

President Trump said "Who knew healthcare was such a complicated issue?"

Only every politician who was in Congress in 2008 and 2012 is all, and a big bunch of private organizations and companies that have an interest in the public health of the nation. That's who.

Trump is a rank beginner in all this. But the Republicans in Congress were not, and they all chose to sit on their numb butts and do no study, hold no meetings, make no plans, and create no alternatives. It was too easy to just say "Hell, NO!" to the law and let it go at that. No brains or effort needed to say No.

The Republicans actually caught a lucky break today; now, if they are truly serious about governing and staying in the majority, they can begin some serious work on making the ACA a good thing for everyone. It will take a lot of discipline, intelligence, diligence, and hard work. But they will be able to take the credit for it, too, and that brings some bragging rights along next year when they are asking us to vote for them once more.
I think that this such an honest, insightful, and overall excellent post. I couldn't rep you enough on it.

I saw Trump provide that quote above during the live conference, and my heart sank. To know that he thought it would be anything less than extensively complicated is a slap in the face to ever congress man and woman, irrespective of race, age, or political affiliation, in this country. Most, if not all, have been in politics for years and have been aware of the issues involved with the ACA. Moreover, it is a slap in the face of every single poor and middle class American in this country.

Did he really think he could come in, spew his nonsense about "draining the swamp" (in which he already dwells), chant incessantly his promises to "make america great (eg 1952) again" , take weekly trips to Mar-A-Lago (and eat up millions of American tax dollars in the process), continue to beat his chest like a tyrant, and expect his boorish behavior to go unchallenged and be effective?

Kudos to the Democrats who stood up and would not vote for this garbage. Bigger kudos to those few Republicans who chose not to bow to his demands and stood in opposition to this ridiculous bill.

Instead he humble himself before America and state something that is humbling, reflective, and hopeful, he focuses repeatedly on how "The democrats didn't vote"?!?

He failed miserably today.

He'll be at Mar-A-Lago tomorrow, in "reflection," I'm sure .

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-24-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
And a "ruling party" just sits there watching things fail? Is this how they work for American people?
When the minority is refusing to come to the table and only engages in blatant obstruction, yes. Just win another 10 Senate seats in 2018 and then repeal it. Shouldn't be hard given what the Democrats have to offer these days.

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you have any idea how much health care has changed since 1932? We didn't even have antibiotics then, or most vaccines. People were still dying from smallpox, measles, stuff like that. The average MA probably knows more today than the average doctor did in 1932.

1847? Too funny! Gosh, the average janitor knows more now than the average doctor did back then! That was the year Semmelweis "discovered" how hand washing helps prevent disease! We didn't know about "germ theory". People were still being "bled". Leeches were still being used. (Now, some weisenheimer will come on and say how leeches are being used again, but I hasten to add on a much smaller scale and with a scientific basis.) I'm rolling on the floor, sorry! You want to go back to those days?
https://www.verywell.com/evolution-o...ygiene-1958874
A Brief History of Bloodletting - History in the Headlines
Bloody Suckers | Leech Therapy | Nature | PBS

How?

Physicians were against Medicare. . . until they were for it. They were against 'Obamacare', until there was a serious effort to repeal it. Physicians rely on these programs for payment.

I'm still rolling on the floor laughing about 1847!
While you're rolling around in the filth on that floor, take some time to think about what has happened since then. We now have out of control prices in healthcare. Hope you don't pull something while you're down there and have to take a trip to the doc with your overpriced Obamacare you've been paying in to...have you met your annual deductible yet?

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Are Republicans playing politics with Obamacare repeal?

Several years of saying that Obamacare is evil
Now that republicans have a mandate
Republicans refuse to repeal Obamacare
What republicans have essentially said, by rejecting the repeal, is that despite how much they dislike the ACA, it's better than anything that they can produce. And they know that the voters will nail them to the wall, if they were to repeal and fail to properly replace it.

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Maybe in some cases but most times it doesn't work.

My wife had to go to emergency once (but wasn't admitted) and so I had to pay $150 + doctors fee as he wasn't in the network. Bill was about $1000 (she's there like an hour and talked to Dr maybe for 20 mins). After trying for several months bill came down to $700. Yeah huge saving there

You are talking about drs; you can't negotiate even with damn dentists. I had a baby tooth that needed filling when I was in spain. I could have gone to government hospital but decided to go to a private dentist and see how much he charges. 50 euros next day appointment. That was in 2006. I came here in 2007. didn't have dental insurance. Filling was needed again. I shopped around. Minimum was $350 so yeah shop around does work with doctors
What is your point?

You didn't get as much savings as other examples and so the points are invalid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies