Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You know what? I actually don't know how socking employers for private insured healthcare ever came to pass !
I agree with you that Healthcare is a essential service to the well being of all Americans and how some people can justify Insurance companies profiting based upon someone's health is morally decrepit.
In the period after WWII, the highest marginal income tax rate was something like 90%. That's because the US was paying off war debt, plus also paying for things like the Marshall Plan. So when employers were competing with each other for high-level employees - and they were - they started looking at offering perks rather than money, because after a certain level, offering more money just wasn't much of a competitive inducement.

Some started offering employer-paid health insurance, at a time when health insurance was something that most people got along without. This proved popular, especially after businesses got Congress to pass a law saying that the companies could deduct the cost of employer-paid health insurance as a business expense and the employees did not have to pay income tax on it either.

From there, it just spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
so, when will we see massive protests against rising healthcare premiums?

when premiums triple in price?

surely there are millions of democrats who are paying out the ass, and pissed off about it.
When will the constituency force their reps to swallow their pride and vote to repeal?
Tell that to the Freedom Caucus (aka tea party) in the House. They're the Republicans who don't want people to have healthcare.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 PM

130 posts, read 71,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Suddenly not such a great dealmaker eh?
Art of the deal: Know when to walk away. You're playing checkers and he's playing chess. Same way he won 2 impossible elections singlehandedly against the most qualified candidate both parties could come up with.

Trump: know when to walk away from the table and do it if necessary.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
so, when will we see massive protests against rising healthcare premiums?

when premiums triple in price?

surely there are millions of democrats who are paying out the ass, and pissed off about it.
When will the constituency force their reps to swallow their pride and vote to repeal?
The dems would be more likely to vote to repeal and replace with single payer.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Apparently some threads were merged together which caused me to miss this.

Yes, I'm going to mock. Because again, while liberals are gloating and celebrating some supposed win, what they fail to comprehend is that by allowing Obamacare to implode, by shelving Ryancare and NOT letting it for a vote, it puts that disastrous failure Obamacare right back at the feet of the Dems. There will be no Ryancare to bail the Dems out of the mess that they created.

Obamacare is going to fail.

Nancy Pelosi will get to own every last shred of it, and will not get to blame any overbloated crapfest called Ryancare for it. It's all on her.

So, by all means, dance around, laugh hysterically, screech with joy...as it did on election night, it's going to be hilarious when the libs finally figure out that Trump, once again, out manuevered them.
"Not letting it for a vote"? Ryan pulled the bill because he didn't have enough Republican votes!

The Republicans ARE THE MAJORITY. They don't need the Dems for anything.

The Republicans cannot govern.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james159 View Post
Art of the deal: Know when to walk away. You're playing checkers and he's playing chess. Same way he won 2 impossible elections singlehandedly against the most qualified candidate both parties could come up with.

Trump: know when to walk away from the table and do it if necessary.
Yeah right. In politics only inept people walk away. His tactics didn't work.

He's a failure.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
"Not letting it for a vote"? Ryan pulled the bill because he didn't have enough Republican votes!

The Republicans ARE THE MAJORITY. They don't need the Dems for anything.

The Republicans cannot govern.
No, the f'ing Federal Government cant govern. Both parties should be 100% voted out, all they care about is getting re-elected. Democrats and Republicans are just a bunch of shameless, selfish, self absorbed jerks who put re-election above the health and stability of our country.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:51 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Ask and you shall receive. Here it is, the Democratic alternative to TrumpCare:

H.R. 676 Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act

72 Democrats have co-sponsored this bill. Medicare For All is the single best way to provide healthcare for all by eliminating $400 billion of excess overhead and profit paid to myraid of insurance companies.
Thanks for posting this link. I am still reading about the bill, but I have a feeling that as more people learn it has been introduced, demand for its passage will grow. Even some Republicans are starting to recognize the need for a health care system that covers everyone. My housemate is one of them. I will show her the link later today. It sounds like an improvement on the Medicare she has now, as a retired teacher, so I'll bet she will be pretty pleased.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Oh you cried! Don't deny it, I saw the video!!
I've never been in a single video in my life, and on election day, I was at the Love's truck stop in Apex, NV. No crying I assure you

Old 03-25-2017, 04:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And the idiots on the left cannot comprehend what you have said.

The left could care less about the what happens at the end as long as the current makes them look good....
Which makes them different how? The GOP sent bill after bill after bill to Obama to repeal Obamacare but now that they have to chance they do what?

Nothing. What was the point of all of those earlier repeal bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies