Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,112,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Liberal arts degrees aren't worthless. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Liberal arts majors run the damn world. The overwhelming majority of college students are liberal arts majors regardless of race.
they are useless if you want a high paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,406,733 times
my boss is a civil engineer, registered PE, and hes a Mexican

Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,380,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I guess the OP needs to see who is building all of South and Central america??? Then go to africa and see who is building there-- before such general statement is made.
BUT:
More Latinos are now graduating with postsecondary degrees in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), but they continue to be significantly underrepresented in the total number of STEM credentials earned.
Problem: TIME and family- by the time you get there- you are 30 -- most latinos already have a family- or taking care of the abuela, papa, or cousin Felix- time and finances

African-American scientists, mathematicians, inventors, and engineers whose unparalleled accomplishments often went unrecognized. People like Alexander Miles who designed the modern elevator. Sarah Boone, who created an improved ironing board. Philip Downing, who designed a switch system for railroads to help guide trains along a track. He also basically invented what we know now as a mailbox. And Marie Van Brittan Brown and her husband, Albert, who invented the home security system. These inventions remain part of our everyday lives, but the stories of these brilliant African-Americans have remained conspicuously absent from mainstream history. In many cases, their stories have been deliberately discarded, perpetuating a false narrative that suggests African Americans cannot and have not contributed anything of value to American society outside of sports and entertainment.

At the same token
20 percent of engineering school graduates are women, yet women make up only 11 percent of practicing engineers. One in four female engineers leave the field after age 30, compared to only one in 10 male engineers, according to the Society of Women Engineers.Aug 12, 2014
As a woman in the United States, there are certain realities I have to face, like lower wages and lowered expectations. As a woman in engineering, there are different struggles. Today, about 19 percent of bachelor’s degrees in engineering are awarded to women. It should come as no surprise that I often find myself in a room full of men, having not only to represent myself but also my gender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NA-TD35HU

State Street Global Advisors, the Boston-based investment giant, had the statue created to push companies to increase the number of women directors.
I think its a message too all women in all careers--
Lol! Greatest post ever thank you for making my day. Maybe heaping praise on people for stupid things is part of the problem. A black person invented the mailbox---therefore black kids should be engineers? How hard do you have to fight reality to give the mailbox as a shining example of intelligence?

"Well it's a box. And you put mail in it." Lol

Someone "invented" toilet paper too, we should find out who and then pass them off as a genius to every young person with the same color of skin so they can follow in the footsteps of greatness.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM

18,051 posts, read 27,503,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Don't tell me I'm the only one making this observation. I have only seen a hand full of black engineers and no hispanic engineers at all. I have talked to other long time engineers and they have made the same observation over the years. If you do a google search for stats on this, you will see that stats tell us there are surprisingly few black and hispanic engineers compared to whites and asians.

Here is an article showing the stats on this.

10 Startling Stats About Minorities in STEM - Online Universities

Is it a culture thing?

Added by edit.

Here is another link.

https://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf96311/5minor.htm

Edit again.

Here's another link.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-24.pdf
Why so few black and Hispanic and other engineers?

Darned good question because there are plenty of grants for them, hiring opportunities for them, women and other minorities galore. Indian and Asian folks can surely be added to that list. Our very government focuses on opportunities for these folks as well.

I observed this personally while getting my engineering degree and with my employment in various technical fields.

There was a shortage of these folks in this field and they are given much incentive to close the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Why are there so few white players in the NBA?
Because they suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
And your point is?
That the thread premise is nonsensical at least, race-baiting at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
A shortage? Why is the "situation" worthy of the term shortage?

Is there a shortage of white power forwards in the NBA? A shortage of white seasonal farm laborers?
Shortage, that's right.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, remember?.

Victimhood is a very marketable commodity, in case you haven't noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I Hispanic and have worked in oil and gas in southern California for the past 10 years. I would say about 1/3 of the engineers are hispanic, very few are African American based on my observations. The majority of the people I know are Hispanic and engineers. There's actually a big push through SHPE programs to help and reach out to Hispanic students in STEM programs. You have to consider that Southern California has a large concentration of Hispanics. People tend to live near their families. I'm sure there are other factors.
There ya go. If you really want something, you can go after it.

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-27-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my boss is a civil engineer, registered PE, and hes a Mexican
And your point is?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,380,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Why so few black and Hispanic and other engineers?

Darned good question because there are plenty of grants for them, hiring opportunities for them, women and other minorities galore. Indian and Asian folks can surely be added to that list. Our very government focuses on opportunities for these folks as well.

I observed this personally while getting my engineering degree and with my employment in various technical fields.

There was a shortage of these folks in this field and they are given much incentive to close the gap.
A shortage? Why is the "situation" worthy of the term shortage?

Is there a shortage of white power forwards in the NBA? A shortage of white seasonal farm laborers?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,290,883 times
I Hispanic and have worked in oil and gas in southern California for the past 10 years. I would say about 1/3 of the engineers are hispanic, very few are African American based on my observations. The majority of the people I know are Hispanic and engineers. There's actually a big push through SHPE programs to help and reach out to Hispanic students in STEM programs. You have to consider that Southern California has a large concentration of Hispanics. People tend to live near their families. I'm sure there are other factors.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,359,592 times
Why are there so few white players in the NBA?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Go to the annual convention of the National Society of Black Engineers. You'll meet some.

NSBE - Convention 2017

Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Chicago and Chicago area have huge black communities. And yet we have very few black engineers. Last time we had openings, we only had 2 black interviewees. Neither was qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies