Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,643,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Some of the highest paid people are in occupations that are rooted in the liberal arts. They are not useless degrees, just too many liberal arts majors chasing too few jobs, that's all. Maybe try thinking outside the box?
I can use my time building skills and learning rather than listen to some professor ramble for an hour in a 12 week period. I can go to the library and borrow a book for less than $10,000 a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...there's absolutely no truth to that.
I have learned more outside of college than I did when I was in it, even when I was attending. College is a waste of time for people not learning a technical skill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,114 times
Quote:
Really? And who told you all of this inside information on us black folks?
You know I mentioned i was black and working in IT a page ago, man.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,290,576 times
Quote:
Liberal Arts majors run this world. I don't know why people insist on forgetting that.
Is this something that is known to actually forget? I'm just curious out of people that have a large influence on the world such as politicians, bankers, business owners, how many have a only a liberal arts degree?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 PM

18,508 posts, read 9,183,958 times
Unfortunately, quite a few black and Hispanic kids live in crappy inner-city school districts. That probably has a lot to do with it. Fund schools with state taxes instead of local taxes, and those black and Hispanic kids will have a better chance.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,611,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I honestly don't think this is what is happening at all. In my experience, people are desperately trying to convince minority college students to pursue science and math. Most black students celebrate whenever they fulfill their minimum math requirement and never look back.

I can't tell you how many black people I know with useless degrees in some kind of "Ethnic Studies".
No matter how much you are trying to make someone to *pursue* science and math, one has to be born with these abilities to begin with.
We are not born with the same abilities - some people just refuse to believe in it, but it's true.
There are plenty of Whites out there, who (if they could, I'm sure) would love to "pursue math and science," which assures job security and good money, but they are simply not born with these abilities.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,223,501 times
1) Anyone who believes in evolution, cannot honestly believe that human talent is equally distributed across human populations, or even across genders.

2) Why does it really matter?

If you believe in heaven, there will be blacks and Mexicans there.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
While I agree that some of the highest paid people are in the liberal arts fields, the job prospects for these people are very limited. How many museum curators do we need?
How many engineers do we need, when so many STEM jobs are being offshored, handed to H1B foreigners, or automated - all to save $$, not because there aren't enough Americans who can do the job.

With this push for everyone to become an engineer or involved in tech, it's going to saturate the market. If everyone and their dog is in STEM, they'll be a dime a dozen rather than recipients of the high paying jobs they're currently touted as.

Same thing with healthcare occupations.

Tech, engineering, and healthcare are all important, but society needs more than just those things. Let's not rule everything else out.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) Anyone who believes in evolution, cannot honestly believe that human talent is equally distributed across human populations, or even across genders.
I think many do honestly believe it simply because they have never really thought it through, and have no incentive to do so given that non-believers in this area are branded as evil heretics.
Quote:
2) Why does it really matter?
The myth of group average equality matters mostly because it is the basis on which demands can be made by the left to benefit its core constituencies and maintain power.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 PM

14,705 posts, read 14,677,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Tech, engineering, and healthcare are all important, but society needs more than just those things. Let's not rule everything else out.
Good point, I just think looking at STEM profession demographics is important to see educational and professional attainment overall. Much has been written about the lack of female presence in STEM fields as well, due to social engineering (npi) and such.
I can definitely tell you my big monetary payments which haven't gone to taxes or paying off debt have been for heating/cooling home repair and automobile repairs, both of which require specialized training but not college degrees.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Don't tell me I'm the only one making this observation. I have only seen a hand full of black engineers and no hispanic engineers at all. I have talked to other long time engineers and they have made the same observation over the years. If you do a google search for stats on this, you will see that stats tell us there are surprisingly few black and hispanic engineers compared to whites and asians.

Here is an article showing the stats on this.

10 Startling Stats About Minorities in STEM - Online Universities

Is it a culture thing?

Added by edit.

Here is another link.

https://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf96311/5minor.htm

Edit again.

Here's another link.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acs-24.pdf
I've posted this info before, but THIS is why... they're just simply not adequately academically prepared by our country's public school system to succeed in the higher level math classes required for an engineering degree:

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above:

Mathematics:

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

...Cue all those who automatically come to the knee-jerk defense of our country's atrocious public school system at all costs, including the cost of their own children's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies