Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM

328 posts, read 240,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I think that was a typo.

I personally don't like Republicans because I don't like the whole social darwinist "all rich people are rich because they work hard and all poor people are poor because they're lazy" thing. I also don't get the alliance between big business free-marketers and the religious right; Republicans will clamor on and on about the government restricting their freedoms until it comes to stuff that they're religiously opposed to. It confuses me. I respect libertarians more because they believe the government should stay out of people's lives but carry that to its logical conclusion (although I'm not a libertarian myself.)
The social Darwinist concept? I lean toward the conservative Republican platform and I have never heard anyone say that
Quote:
"All rich people are rich because they work hare and all poor people are poor because they're lazy
I can give you MY opinion...which is that I believe MOST rich people are rich because they've either worked very hard, are very intelligent because they've been educated and learned how to make money, have inherited wealth, steal or sell drugs. I believe that a TREMENDOUS amount of poor people take advantage of our government support system and the people who are working very hard to make ends meet are paying for these people who either do not want to work or, yes, get more money from the government than to work a job. My ancestors worked hard to have a roof over their heads and food to eat...without all of the modern conveniences like cell phones, computers, microwaves. People have forgotten how to work. The work ethic is almost non-existent and I feel that it is the beginning of the downfall of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 12:21 AM

112 posts, read 69,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Someone who lives below the poverty line? That's how the government defines it. Also, explain to me how what I mentioned isn't social darwinism aka "Survival of the Fittest." I don't consider myself to be a Democrat because I dislike both political parties, as well as politicians in general (although there are some good ones), although I would be more likely to vote for a Democrat than a Republican... I would still split the ticket if I liked one candidate more than the other.

No need to explain social darwinism to me. I asked you to define poor to me to show you how you are mistaken on your social darwinism theory. But I see you don't want to play. Define poverty line?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
The social Darwinist concept? I lean toward the conservative Republican platform and I have never heard anyone say that I can give you MY opinion...which is that I believe MOST rich people are rich because they've either worked very hard, are very intelligent because they've been educated and learned how to make money, have inherited wealth, steal or sell drugs. I believe that a TREMENDOUS amount of poor people take advantage of our government support system and the people who are working very hard to make ends meet are paying for these people who either do not want to work or, yes, get more money from the government than to work a job. My ancestors worked hard to have a roof over their heads and food to eat...without all of the modern conveniences like cell phones, computers, microwaves. People have forgotten how to work. The work ethic is almost non-existent and I feel that it is the beginning of the downfall of America.
Thank you, I couldn't of said it better.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:19 AM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
The social Darwinist concept? I lean toward the conservative Republican platform and I have never heard anyone say that I can give you MY opinion...which is that I believe MOST rich people are rich because they've either worked very hard, are very intelligent because they've been educated and learned how to make money, have inherited wealth, steal or sell drugs. I believe that a TREMENDOUS amount of poor people take advantage of our government support system and the people who are working very hard to make ends meet are paying for these people who either do not want to work or, yes, get more money from the government than to work a job. My ancestors worked hard to have a roof over their heads and food to eat...without all of the modern conveniences like cell phones, computers, microwaves. People have forgotten how to work. The work ethic is almost non-existent and I feel that it is the beginning of the downfall of America.
America has a grand tradition of getting something for nothing. How do you think our hard working ancestors acquired the capital (namely, land) to build that roof over their heads?

Nowadays our national heroes are celebrities, investment bankers and lawyers. It's no coincidence they also represent the richest strata of our society. So really, who's forgotten how to work here?

I make no excuses for poor people with no gumption to better themselves, but let's not pick the nits off our legs while ignoring the giant sucking leech on the back of our necks!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:31 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuban View Post
I don't have a party but I don't like the Republicans because they are the party of Big Government. I don't want Big Brother or Big Boss. Nothing about the democrats but I don't have a party. Could of fooled me!!
That what a big "d'oh!!!" on my part. What I meant to write was:

I don't like the Republicans because they are all about Big Business. I don't like the Democrats because they are all about Big Government. I don't want either Big Brother or Big Boss.

Although, under the neo-cons, the Republicans have become both Big Business and Big Government. The Democrats have just become comical. God help us all.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:44 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Mark S. - I believe my family is similar to yours. My grandparents were staunch Democrats and at that point in time, the Democrats were more about small business, farmers, helping the little man (no offense to anyone), and less intrusive government. They've done a 180 degree turn within the last 50 years and the Republicans seem to be more in line with the traditional and conservative views of the people who live by morals and values. My parents are Republicans and that's why. There is no perfect party, I agree, but I really wish that the Democrats hadn't gone off the deep end with people like Howard Dean, Pelosi and Murtha...
There is no party for the "little guy" anymore. The Republicans are all about Big Business. They care more about Wal-Mart and Halliburton and Bechtel and their ilk than they do the local mom and pop stores, and their party's politics reflect that. Many of them do still pay lip service to "traditional values," but I'm not convinced that it is anything more than lip service among party leaders. The neo-conservative movement has corrupted the Republican Party almost beyond repair. I suspect that Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and even good ol' Ike are spinning in their graves.

But the Democratic Party has become the haven of every fringe, lunatic group in the country. That combined with their party leaders cozying up to the same big corporate interests as the Republicans doesn't leave them much room to fight for working people anymore.

Don't get me wrong. There are still good and decent public servants in both parties, but they have become increasingly hard to find in recent years.

The Greens are powerless, the Libertarians are scary, and the Reform Party...well, they're just funny.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There is no party for the "little guy" anymore. The Republicans are all about Big Business. They care more about Wal-Mart and Halliburton and Bechtel and their ilk than they do the local mom and pop stores, and their party's politics reflect that. Many of them do still pay lip service to "traditional values," but I'm not convinced that it is anything more than lip service among party leaders. The neo-conservative movement has corrupted the Republican Party almost beyond repair. I suspect that Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and even good ol' Ike are spinning in their graves.

But the Democratic Party has become the haven of every fringe, lunatic group in the country. That combined with their party leaders cozying up to the same big corporate interests as the Republicans doesn't leave them much room to fight for working people anymore.

Don't get me wrong. There are still good and decent public servants in both parties, but they have become increasingly hard to find in recent years.

The Greens are powerless, the Libertarians are scary, and the Reform Party...well, they're just funny.
This is a pretty good synopsis IMO.

I'm a registered Independent, even though I voted Dem last month. Right now, I am more anti-Republican, and more specifically anti-neocon than anything else. I think there is a faction within the Democratic party that espouses the same ideals that I do, but I also believe that until proven otherwise, the Democratic party as a whole is merely the different side of the same sleazy coin as the Republicans. Major players in both parties are beholden to the same corporate interests, and couldn't care less about us little guys.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:09 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Wow! I like to agree! It feels good!

It seems to me that the current political system is set up to corrupt. No matter who you put into office quickly gets pulled into the lobbyists game of influence peddling. Parties don't matter in the end, it's all about who profits and who pays.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Wow! I like to agree! It feels good!

It seems to me that the current political system is set up to corrupt. No matter who you put into office quickly gets pulled into the lobbyists game of influence peddling. Parties don't matter in the end, it's all about who profits and who pays.
Politics has been dirty and corrupt since the beginning of times. I wish we lived in that perfect world that you have in mind. Really I do!! Not trying to be sarcastic. The reality of it all is that this will never happen in this life. At the same time we can not give up that dream and hope for a better world. This means we are going to need to work harder to research before we vote. Then pray that the person can hold up to it.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Default rep not dem

I choose to lean conservative on most of my views, so i dont vote Democratic. afew reasons are:
i belive in the second amendment, it gives me the RIGHT to own guns.dems dont.
I belive in the death penalty, it should be used more often. dems dont
I do not believe in abortions all the time.dems think its ok to KILL a baby at partial birth. any time.
anybody but hillary! the list goes on. please note i do want a real viable third party, just hasnt happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies