Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
They don't work, didn't you see the footage of immigrants climbing the wall or the tunnels under it? Or is this fake news and alternative facts?

In New Jersey I need to fill out a United States Citizenship Disclosure and it is kept for four years until I have to fill it out again. Why isn't this document being enforced in New Jersey? Does any other state have a similar document? Probably because the powers at be don't want to do their job and put in a little extra effort.

You must be talking about the fences where it is easier to penetrate. It would be a rare occurance for them to be able to climb over or tunnel under the double and triple layered walls that the articles I provided are speaking about. Why do you suppose that in those areas illegal immigration went way down? Those types of walls force illegal aliens to try and cross over in much more difficult and dangerous areas so fewer will try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Texas businessmen have been hiring undocumented for all my long years.

Builders, food processors, restaurants, growers,etc. all use illegals. The rich Mexicans use HB5 visas. Who cares.

The dopers built a concrete, electric lite tunnel under Duncan Hunter's wall.

I know Oldglory wil tell me we now have sonar that can find tunnels. Good luck with that.

Jail those who hire. But first, Texas would need to license contractors. We have no state income tax. Anybody with a car can be a contractor. If you can cause problems for the home insurance people you need a license. You can blow up a town. No need for inspecting. Not even the fire department could insist on entry to the fertilizer plant that blew up West Texas.

Texas does not license contractors. A wall will not cure that.
The jobs are the big reason the illegals come. If illegals can't work, go to school, get housing, healthcare, or other things entitled to U.S cities/legal residents, then the illegals will stop coming. Deportation helps as well. Also, the businessmen you speak of need to be punished.

The unlicensed contractors need to be punished too.

A wall isn't needed. A wall is more or less hyperbolae. It isn't so much just preventing illegal immigration, but more about "kicking some posterior".

Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Do you like the highways and freeways you drive on, and that allow for food and other goods to be transported around the country? Do you enjoy the benefits of government buildings, and public utilities? Well, many of those were built with the eminent domain process that you call bull****.
That doesn't change my mind on this wall or the government claiming eminent domain over people's property.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The jobs are the big reason the illegals come. If illegals can't work, go to school, get housing, healthcare, or other things entitled to U.S cities/legal residents, then the illegals will stop coming. Deportation helps as well. Also, the businessmen you speak of need to be punished.

The unlicensed contractors need to be punished too.

A wall isn't needed. A wall is more or less hyperbolae. It isn't so much just preventing illegal immigration, but more about "kicking some posterior".
I'd be willing to forego a wall if we did three things:

1) Criminalize the hiring of illegals, giving employers an easy way to verify legal status of course. I do mean criminalize, as in jail time, for hiring illegals, not just fining them. This would pertain to everyone, including those who hire house cleaners, gardeners etc. This alone will cause most to self-deport.

2) Make the current farm worker visa program easy to use so that farmers can get the staff they need. This is a valid need that cannot be readily filled otherwise. Gardeners, house cleaners, dish washers etc are not critical needs. Pay a proper wage and those jobs can be easily filled with legal residents.

3) Add enough staff and technology to catch most who try to cross the border. No catch and release of those that do make it across. Immediate deportation instead. Any who make claim under humanitarian exceptions to be held in detention until they are fully adjudicated.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I'd be willing to forego a wall if we did three things:

1) Criminalize the hiring of illegals, giving employers an easy way to verify legal status of course. I do mean criminalize, as in jail time, for hiring illegals, not just fining them. This would pertain to everyone, including those who hire house cleaners, gardeners etc. This alone will cause most to self-deport.

2) Make the current farm worker visa program easy to use so that farmers can get the staff they need. This is a valid need that cannot be readily filled otherwise. Gardeners, house cleaners, dish washers etc are not critical needs. Pay a proper wage and those jobs can be easily filled with legal residents.

3) Add enough staff and technology to catch most who try to cross the border. No catch and release of those that do make it across. Immediate deportation instead. Any who make claim under humanitarian exceptions to be held in detention until they are fully adjudicated.
I agree with these three points completely.

If the wall is built and we stop 100% of illegal immigration how do we deal with who is here? We still have to address the same problem.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 AM

From today's local paper:

Pipeline project seeks easements on holdouts - News - Citizens' Voice

Quote:
DALLAS — Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Co. filed more than two dozen eminent domain lawsuits this week seeking easements on properties whose owners have held out on settlements, including four locations in Luzerne County.

The Houston-based developer of the Atlantic Sunrise project — which includes adding nearly 200 miles of gas pipeline — filed complaints in 27 cases since Monday seeking a federal judge to allow it to condemn the rights-of-way for properties whose owners have “rejected, or otherwise did not accept, Transco’s offer,” according to complaints filed by the Philadelphia-based law firm Saul Ewing.

Quote:
In Lehman Township, the company is seeking easements on more than 14 acres of property appraised at $33,100 that Dr. Barry G. Bernstein owns on Idetown Road.

Reached Friday, Bernstein said the pipeline will pass through a large section of the more than 100 acres he owns, limiting his ability to use his own land and impacting the environment.

“I never wanted it,” Bernstein said. “This property has been in our family since the early 1800s, and I didn’t want anything through it. I didn’t care what money (they offered).”

The pipeline will limit Bernstein’s ability to plant trees and shrubs on the property, and could impact streams on the land that feed into Huntsville Creek, he said. The pipeline will also limit future development and use of the land as well as ensure that pipe workers have permanent access to the property, he said.

“It’s not your private property,” Bernstein said.

After years of fighting the pipeline, however, Bernstein said he is now working to settle and get what he can, knowing that the project will cut through his land despite his efforts.

“It’s a travesty. It’s ridiculous. I’m completely opposed, but I’m going to have to settle out because I have spent a ridiculous amount of money fighting it,” Bernstein said. “They’re going to take our property anyway.”
This is a disgusting abuse of power, IMHO. And I feel that this is in direct violation of our rights to own land free from government interference. I don't see how these types of strong arm tactics are legal. This is what our fellow Americans along the border will be facing - trying to fight huge government and financial interests and going broke in the process.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I agree with these three points completely.

If the wall is built and we stop 100% of illegal immigration how do we deal with who is here? We still have to address the same problem.

How many times does it need to be repeated that the wall isn't the total solution but it should be a part of it because not everyone coming here illegally is looking for jobs and benefits? We need a total package to deter more from coming and to force those already here to self-deport due to no means to support themselves.

The solutions are e-verify, deny their kids birthright citizenship, benefits and the wall. Some may come here to just live with relatives who will support them, thus the wall. Criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs and benefits, thus the wall. Much easier to stop illegals with a wall no matter which of the above catagories they fit into than to try and root them out of the interior of our country and the ensuing costs involved.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with both of you. This wall is a preposterous idea.

I like how the wall supporters, who are also apparently small government supporters, think its a-okay for the government to take land away from private citizens in order to build this stupid thing.
Exactly. Let's begin with the most obvious problem. Where will this $31 billion to build it come from? Trump certainly won't donate any of his personal funds to the cause. Then even if it's built, it will be years before 100% of the illegal immigrants are removed from the U.S., if they ever are. And not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, BTW. Plus we will make an enemy of Mexico, and picking fights with your neighbor is a bad way to live. And how will this thing be maintained? It won't maintain itself and that is an additional cost we have to factor in. Trump also promised to repair our crumbling infrastructure. What happened to that promise?

Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Let's begin with the most obvious problem. Where will this $31 billion to build it come from? Trump certainly won't donate any of his personal funds to the cause. Then even if it's built, it will be years before 100% of the illegal immigrants are removed from the U.S., if they ever are. And not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico, BTW. Plus we will make an enemy of Mexico, and picking fights with your neighbor is a bad way to live. And how will this thing be maintained? It won't maintain itself and that is an additional cost we have to factor in. Trump also promised to repair our crumbling infrastructure. What happened to that promise?

Trump already said where it will come from. Funny, how you and yours are all worried about the money to build the wall but not the least bit concerned about where the money comes for the upkeep of illegal aliens which is $113 billion every single year and rising.

No one is suggesting that the wall or anything else will stop illegal immigration 100% but shouldn't we try to remove and deter as many as we can? The fact is that most illegal aliens are from Mexico and coming in thru our southern border. The rest are usually visa over stayers and we can address that problem in a different way.

Who cares if we make an enemy out of Mexico? They are the a-h*les in all of this not us. They didn't care if their citizens raped our country and our citizens for years and years. They picked a fight with us for allowing this to happen and then whining when we want it stopped so you have it backwards.

How is any structure maintained? It would still be less than the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us. We are managing to maintain the existing walls, aren't we? Our crumbling infrastructure has nothing to do with this issue. You're just deflecting now.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many times does it need to be repeated that the wall isn't the total solution but it should be a part of it because not everyone coming here illegally is looking for jobs and benefits? We need a total package to deter more from coming and to force those already here to self-deport due to no means to support themselves.

The solutions are e-verify, deny their kids birthright citizenship, benefits and the wall. Some may come here to just live with relatives who will support them, thus the wall. Criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs and benefits, thus the wall. Much easier to stop illegals with a wall no matter which of the above catagories they fit into than to try and root them out of the interior of our country and the ensuing costs involved.
You can repeat it 1,000,000,000 times. The wall is absolutely unneeded, especially if the other solutions are enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies