Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:44 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
All you need to know about the Constitution...
OP, ignore this garbage, it's revisionist garbage which naturally is supported with wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Not a book, exactly, but there is some pretty darn good stuff here:

Contents | The Illustrated Guide to Law

It's more of a law primer than specifically a constitution one - the chapter on constitutional law is still being drawn - but the guy knows his stuff. Plus it's pretty funny.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 PM

778 posts, read 339,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
As an American I feel very Uneducated in the subject of our laws, our freedom and our rights. Sure everyone knows not to steal and kill and what not. But I really want to know? Looking for books but have had no luck if any one knows a book ( or books) that give me the information I need to be empowered by the American law?please post!

The Five Thousand Year Leap and The Making of America are both excellent books on our founders and every aspect of the Constitution.

https://www.amazon.com/5000-Year-Lea...sand+year+leap

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Americ...0N4D2P11HTFF41

Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
OP, ignore this garbage, it's revisionist garbage which naturally is supported with wikipedia.
Did you really just call the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions, revisionism?

https://www.monticello.org/site/rese...ia-resolutions

https://billofrightsinstitute.org/fo...y-resolutions/

https://www.britannica.com/event/Vir...ky-Resolutions

Did you really just called the Hartford Convention revisionism?

Hartford Convention of 1814 started secession, states' rights talks in New England - Hartford Courant

The Hartford Convention and the Specter of Secession - UConn Today

https://www.britannica.com/event/Hartford-Convention

I sure hope not, because if you were, you are obviously completely ignorant of US History.

https://www.loc.gov/wiseguide/may05/constitution.html

Everything I said was 100% accurate. Prove that it isn't, any of it, even a single word.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:59 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Red, I know my history. And your interpretation is...special.

The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions were nothing more than separate Op/Ed pieces, authored by Jefferson and Madison - anonymously. They were written in response to the Sedition Act of 1798, enacted by a Federalist dominated government. It's of note that Jefferson's Kentucky Resolution went much farther in its radicalism than Madison's Virginia Resolution. It's also quite revealing that President Jefferson used the Sedition Act to prosecute and imprison Federalist pamphleteers, much in the same way that Federalists originally used the Sedition Act to prosecute and imprison Republican pamphleteers.

There was no real "Northern Secession Movement" in 1812. There had been a series of disenfranchised Federalist politicians in New England and in New York who discussed secession in response to the complete victory of Jefferson's Republicans in 1800. And although some Federalists who attended the Hartford Convention privately discussed among themselves the concept of secession, the matter was never brought up for a vote at the convention.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Red, I know my history. And your interpretation is...special.

The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions were nothing more than separate Op/Ed pieces, authored by Jefferson and Madison - anonymously. They were written in response to the Sedition Act of 1798, enacted by a Federalist dominated government. It's of note that Jefferson's Kentucky Resolution went much farther in its radicalism than Madison's Virginia Resolution. It's also quite revealing that President Jefferson used the Sedition Act to prosecute and imprison Federalist pamphleteers, much in the same way that Federalists originally used the Sedition Act to prosecute and imprison Republican pamphleteers.
The point I was trying to make, is that before the ink had even dried on the Constitution, people like Alexander Hamilton had already begun reinterpreting the Constitution in ways that far exceeded its original mandate. Which even brought the ire of James Madison himself.

Furthermore, I was trying to explain that most of what people believe about the Constitution, isn't actually true. And in the case of the "Judicial Review", the case that created Judicial Review, was Marbury v. Madison. And that Madison being James Madison, the "father of the Constitution". James Madison didn't exactly agree with that decision, and neither did Thomas Jefferson.

Thus my actual point is, almost everything that is written about the Constitution is bull****. A sort of over-glorified pseudo-history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0qNAYJQWU

Don't trust anything written by political hacks with an agenda. Because the truth is, the Constitution means whatever the Supreme Court says it means. Thus, talking about what rights you have is an exercise is stupidity. You have no rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
There was no real "Northern Secession Movement" in 1812. There had been a series of disenfranchised Federalist politicians in New England and in New York who discussed secession in response to the complete victory of Jefferson's Republicans in 1800. And although some Federalists who attended the Hartford Convention privately discussed among themselves the concept of secession, the matter was never brought up for a vote at the convention.
It was never brought for a vote, but it was being discussed. What brought the Hartford convention to a close, was that the War of 1812 ended during the Convention.

But regardless, that point I was making, is that most Northerners believed that they had a right to secede. Nearly every newspaper in New England either wanted secession, or wanted to throw the Western states out of the union(they had also opposed Jefferson's Louisiana purchase).

Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
As an originalist I say start with the Federalist Papers.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
As an originalist I say start with the Federalist Papers.
As an originalist, I say that the Federalist Papers are even a bit suspect. You should also read the anti-federalist papers. And be aware that the Federalists were thrown out of office from 1800 till pretty much Abraham Lincoln, because Alexander Hamilton was a scumbag who got shot by Aaron Burr.

ANTI-FEDERALIST PAPERS | The Federalist Papers

Also, most of the Federalist Papers were written by Alexander Hamilton. And most of the founders kind of hated Alexander Hamilton, with the primary exception being George Washington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p-NlbifWrk

Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Ask me a specific question on freedom and I will tell you the answer.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Ask me a specific question on freedom and I will tell you the answer.
Why are we free? And what does freedom really mean?

"Off goes the head of the king, and tyranny gives way to freedom. The change seems (endless). Then, bit by bit, the face of freedom hardens, and by and by it is the old face of tyranny. Then another cycle, and another. But under the play of all these opposites there is something fundamental and permanent — the basic delusion that men may be governed and yet be free." - H.L. Mencken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies